www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider 25

Old 03-05-21, 23:53   #1281
Ellioft
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilhanhan View Post
Now that you mention it, I think that's why I ended up buying Come Alive over Female Icon in the end. There's so little information about them that it took me awhile to realise that they're more or less the same album.

Now we're talking about these albums, how cool would it be if they also appeared on Vinyl? I mean they are quite obscure but to be fair the vinyl revival is still pretty niche...
If you want to learn more about them well I have done a full video about them (it's in french but you have english subs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athukraz View Post
As they should

For me the 25th anniversary of TR is a little more complex than it seems. To begin with, the 25th anniversary of a franchise is less important than the 30th anniversary.

A lot of things have been done in the past to celebrate Lara.
Most of the fans want to see a lot of goodies or exclusive information.

The problem is that most of the classic TR material is in the hands of collectors and most wouldn't even scan it to share them with the community.

Compilations like commercials etc. require broadcasting rights which are often outrageous (I tried to ask CNN how much a report with Lara would cost and to give you an idea we're looking at 10,000 dollars for 7min).

For the classics it's difficult because a lot of things have already been done and there is not much left to say about them.

Apart from announcing projects, there is nothing else we can expect. Square Enix and Crystal have to recover from Avengers whose mixed reception I think changed a lot of things.

For the moment it would be unfair to judge the anniversary as such until it is over. There are still a lot of things to discover from Crystal's games.

Let's not forget that there was also the world pandemic wich has slow everything.

I appreciate what the community managers are doing behind the scenes.

Because it's really not easy especially with a fanbase that can sometimes be exasperating.

Last edited by Ellioft; 03-05-21 at 23:57.
Ellioft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-21, 00:20   #1282
Athukraz
Relic Hunter

Happy for you!
Or sorry that happened.
Athukraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-21, 00:20   #1283
biscuits
Professor

I mean at the end of the day we're not starved for Tomb Raider content. They're just busy working on new things that take time. They literally just released 3 whole games in 5 years (2 if you count the Lara Croft series) plus a feature film. We have another movie coming out eventually AND a Netflix series. They can't release these products at a yearly basis. Waiting a couple of years for a new game doesn't mean the franchise is dead or whatever. These things take time lol.

Honestly you people should try being Elder Scrolls fans. Or GTA fans. I'd be dying to know how those doom and gloom people would handle THAT wait.

Last edited by biscuits; 04-05-21 at 00:21.
biscuits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-21, 00:35   #1284
Lara_Fan1
Tomb Raider

I don’t think people are crying out for a new game; not in the sense of Elder Scroll or GTA fans. It’s been how long since a new game in those franchises came out? I just think people are frustrated with how lacklustre this anniversary has been, so far. I’m still waiting for them to pull something amazing out the bag.

Something about them wanting to release the DLC’s for Underworld has me curiously thinking. Are they just going to release them for steam or are they trying to get them so when they eventually announce ports of the game, we finally get the DLCS with Underworlds…
Old 04-05-21, 00:43   #1285
tomblover
Legend

Try waiting for Bayonetta 3.

I mean, like other people have already said: they clearly don't have anything of substance lined up for these celebrations.

Not to discount the community highlights, or the interviews, but it's not like we wouldn't have had fan sites producing similar content, if CD themselves weren't doing it.

And, by "anything of substance" - I mean, anything that isn't just another meaningless collectible.

The issue isn't even that the Weta statue costs an arm and a leg. I bet you, when the more affordable merch gets released, people will be complaining about how cheap it looks, or how worthless it is.

It's just not something we're interested in, collectively.

There's no pleasing us, with the way the chips have fallen. Kudos to Meagan and Neha for putting their brave faces on and powering through it. I don't think I could, even if I was getting paid.

If there're no news re: a new game, or the Netflix show, or the movie sequel - we're really just celebrating TR the same way we always do, every other day of every other year.

I see why people are saying it feels pointless. I don't think it's a problem worth whining about, personally, but it is unfortunate...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athukraz View Post
Happy for you!
Or sorry that happened.

Last edited by tomblover; 04-05-21 at 01:03.
tomblover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-21, 01:47   #1286
Blackmoor
Tomb Raider

I wonder what the marketing / community management budget is for TR in a year of no game releases. And a year with no game on the horizon.

It's a shame that the Avengers game was released when it was because I feel that had this not happened around the same time, greater effort would have been put into the 25th Anniversary. Not that I'm saying that it's rubbish, just that I'm sure more resources and time would have been available.

I also think a better budget would have been available had we been on the lead into a new game release. Even if it were still 3 years away from release, if some sort of material or discussion been started about the next TR, I feel a budget increase for 25th anniversary activities would have been easier to get. "Return on investment" and all that.
Old 04-05-21, 02:44   #1287
tomblover
Legend

I don't think greater effort would've been put into the celebrations, necessarily, but we would've probably heard about a new game by now, and that would've been part of it.

Which, even if it was mostly teasing with little payoff - that would've still been better received than anything else they could think of, or anything they're doing right now.

Having said that, I think the failure of Avengers presents an interesting opportunity for TR to make back the money CD/SE lost from it.

That is, if they dare to take a chance on TR at all, after somehow ****ing up with a Marvel IP - which, in the hands of anyone else, basically prints money...

TR is kind of niche, after all, but I could definitely see it making a big comeback, with CD/SE banking on its success in order to make up for Avengers' less than satisfactory performance.

Last edited by tomblover; 04-05-21 at 02:45.
tomblover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-21, 04:03   #1288
lance6439
Legend

Naughty Dog needs to acquire the rights of TR. Legally or illegally I don't care it needs to happen now and immediately!!!!
Old 04-05-21, 10:38   #1289
malferink
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance6439 View Post
Naughty Dog needs to acquire the rights of TR. Legally or illegally I don't care it needs to happen now and immediately!!!!
I love uncharted, love the visuals, love the stories... but the gameplay is pretty boring. I want TR to have something better than that
malferink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-21, 11:09   #1290
Slambam27
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by malferink View Post
I love uncharted, love the visuals, love the stories... but the gameplay is pretty boring. I want TR to have something better than that
I agree to an extent with this. Uncharted games, at least the recent ones, tend to focus on 'realistic' gameplay that can feel slow paced a times. Although it works for things like the Last of Us games which I enjoy.

Plus if people think Lara is stripped of her iconic elements now, they'd freak out to see what they'd most likely do with her arsenal and character design, numbing them even more if I had to guess.