Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Tomb Raider Next Generation

Old 21-04-15, 22:19   #8851
larafan25

So I'm trying to make my own shoot-able switch, with Switch_7. I've replaced the mesh of a regular wall-mounted lever switch with the mesh I want to be shot at. However, whenever I use the switch in a trigger, the TRNG compiler crashes as it compiles the level.

I'm not sure what I have gotten so wrong.

I'm guessing I shouldn't have used a regular switch if I want a shoot-able switch?

EDIT: Hmmm. So it turns out that any triggers I place case my level to crash whilst compiling. So maybe it doesn't have to do with the switch.

edit: Also, is there any way I can temporarily disable Lara's hair? Like, throughout the level?

Like. I'm trying to meshswap her hair with the same Hair object, which has been made transparent (save a few pixels) and placed in an Animating_mip slot. But what happens is that the other animation objects appear on screen sometimes. Hmmm.

Last edited by larafan25; 22-04-15 at 00:26.
larafan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-15, 03:13   #8852
DJ Full

Where on Earth or precisely this forum do I write if I have an idea of NGLE update and want to share this with Paolone? I found no thread for suggesting such thing.

-----------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by larafan25 View Post
So I'm trying to make my own shoot-able switch, with Switch_7. I've replaced the mesh of a regular wall-mounted lever switch with the mesh I want to be shot at. However, whenever I use the switch in a trigger, the TRNG compiler crashes as it compiles the level.
I guess the SWITCH_TYPE7 can only have Mesh#8 set as shootable. I think if You change something here, it will crash.

Quote:
I'm guessing I shouldn't have used a regular switch if I want a shoot-able switch?
Better not. TYPE7 is hardcoded to shootable. Better to texture all other meshes transparent and replace the number #8 with the regular switch mesh so it looks like normal pull lever but isnt. Though You need to watch out for such things, don't let them confuse players.

Quote:
So it turns out that any triggers I place case my level to crash whilst compiling. So maybe it doesn't have to do with the switch.
Is the switch in the wad or used in the level? If the wad includes a faulty object then any compilation may give a crash, and make You think the map itself is wrong.

Quote:
Also, is there any way I can temporarily disable Lara's hair? Like, throughout the level?
If this is supposed to last for a whole level, I would just stick to that transparent hair, "glue" the hole in the head with some extra face and not mind the meshswap. At the leveljump, the outfit will change to another wad (containing normal hair) anyway.
DJ Full is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-15, 03:19   #8853
larafan25

Thanks. So. I'll just replace the one mesh with my new mesh.

As for the hair. It's only one level, in fact it's my one-room level. I need to have her hair change throughout the level when I trigger it to do so.

So far I'm using a meshswap, swapping her hair with a copy of her hair in a meshswap slot, however it's bugged.
larafan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-15, 06:11   #8854
AkyV

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Full View Post
Where on Earth or precisely this forum do I write if I have an idea of NGLE update and want to share this with Paolone? I found no thread for suggesting such thing.
I bet if we had a general TRNG request thread then that would be sticky. Feel free to start a new thread, we are all curious for nice update ideas!

Quote:
I guess the SWITCH_TYPE7 can only have Mesh#8 set as shootable. I think if You change something here, it will crash.
Not always Mesh#8, it is the mesh with the highest ID. (The same rule with Switch_Type8 shootable switches which won't shatter.)
AkyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-15, 06:31   #8855
Uzi master

Quote:
Originally Posted by larafan25 View Post

I'm not sure what I have gotten so wrong.

Why not just use a shatter object with a heavy trigger below it instead? SWITCH_7 is only important if you want an object that animates before you shoot it, which I doubt your wall-mounted lever does.
Uzi master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-15, 06:46   #8856
AkyV

A totally static Switch type 7 could be useful if it has more meshes, and only one of them will be shot. See eg. the switch in the original trenches.wad.
If it is a Shatter, then he could use only one mesh for the switch. (Naturally a Shatter for that mesh plus an Animating tightly at the Shatter for the other meshes is also a solution.)
Old 22-04-15, 11:33   #8857
teme9

I haven't really worked with sounds and TRNG scripting together. Is it possible to give sound to a object that has no animations? Like for an smoke_emitter?

I am building a custom fire effect with Smoke_emitters (using FLEP) and I would really need a fire sound attacted to the emitters. Placing a sound directly in the editor would probably not work on my case because I need to trigger the emitters visible at later point so a sound that is already there from all the way from the beginning is not really working for this situation.

Any ideas would be welcome
teme9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-15, 12:05   #8858
AkyV

There are some TRNG ways to play sounds but the problem is the sound will play from everywhere, i.e. the distance between Lara (the camera) and the object won't affect the volume.
But there is a workaround:
Parameters= PARAM_MOVE_ITEM is able to play a loop sound when the object is moving. So what if you move the flame object back and forth, only some pixels, so it looks as if it were still? But it will play the loop sound, and it affects the volume.
Old 22-04-15, 12:18   #8859
ggctuk

Can anybody remind me how to disable drawing weapons until the pistols are picked up?
ggctuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-15, 12:44   #8860
teme9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkyV View Post
There are some TRNG ways to play sounds but the problem is the sound will play from everywhere, i.e. the distance between Lara (the camera) and the object won't affect the volume.
But there is a workaround:
Parameters= PARAM_MOVE_ITEM is able to play a loop sound when the object is moving. So what if you move the flame object back and forth, only some pixels, so it looks as if it were still? But it will play the loop sound, and it affects the volume.
wow! That's genius! I will definately try this one! Thanks
teme9 is offline   Reply With Quote