Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 13-11-20, 04:47   #1121
Danath

Question Question

There's something i've been thinking on lately.
As far as i know, the limit of texture pages that can be used in a TR2 level is 20, isn't it? Then how come almost all of my levels are using more than 20 pages for textures? Take a look at level 5, which is about 20% textured:

As you can see from the editor compile info, it is using more than 20 pages with both objects and rooms. There's only one of my levels so far that uses less than 20 pages according to Dxtre3D.

PixStr shows less pages on the compiled levels. But even on there, level 1 has 23 pages and level 3 21. How come they are working then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFY2013 View Post
Looks so nice! I cannot wait to play this, keep up the good work
Thank you!
Danath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-20, 05:42   #1122
DaroRaider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danath View Post
There's something i've been thinking on lately.
As far as i know, the limit of texture pages that can be used in a TR2 level is 20, isn't it? Then how come almost all of my levels are using more than 20 pages for textures? ...
I don't know where you have that info of the exact amount of textures pages..

I did my own test, overloading the amount of texture pages of Wall.tr2 level up to 30 pages!! ( and running the game with an original exe, not even using any patch ) and it worked fine!
Maybe there is a limitation when you use the amount of textures pages plus the number of Texture IDs plus some other resource else
DaroRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-20, 18:16   #1123
Danath

Red face

Well, nevermind then, that info is very wrong.

Glad to see this isn't the case, even on the original game.
Old 23-11-20, 01:13   #1124
Danath

Lightbulb Something new

I underestimated how massive the Syberia level is, i'm still at 153 out of 192 rooms textured. Then have to do the lighting... oof!

Anyway, i wanted to share something cool i noticed when reading the .json script file of Arsunt's patch.
Turns out animated textures can have translucency by default! So in this example, i'm using these 2 sets of animated textures for level 5:

Both are translucent ( so alpha channel is used ).
The one down is for a "dirty" water pool you have to "clean" in a little puzzle. Then the top one is for the cleaned state. This is how the dirty one is looking right now, keep in mind the rooms aren't finished:

Nice huh?

Then i am wondering... if animated textures can have translucency without the need of adding extra lines on the .json...
Why not use it for other things, for example to have translucent window textures on houses? Something to consider. Though i don't know how to apply translucency for object textures, it's quite hard to set up by what i see on the script file. 😅
Old 23-11-20, 14:39   #1125
Mahetus

Quote:
I underestimated how massive the Syberia level is, i'm still at 153 out of 192 rooms textured. Then have to do the lighting... oof!

Anyway, i wanted to share something cool i noticed when reading the .json script file of Arsunt's patch.
Turns out animated textures can have translucency by default! So in this example, i'm using these 2 sets of animated textures for level 5:

Both are translucent ( so alpha channel is used ).
The one down is for a "dirty" water pool you have to "clean" in a little puzzle. Then the top one is for the cleaned state. This is how the dirty one is looking right now, keep in mind the rooms aren't finished:

Nice huh?

Then i am wondering... if animated textures can have translucency without the need of adding extra lines on the .json...
Why not use it for other things, for example to have translucent window textures on houses? Something to consider. Though i don't know how to apply translucency for object textures, it's quite hard to set up by what i see on the script file. ��
Wow, how I didn't notice that before, that's a really cool feature.

"Little puzzle" you say I'm very curious what you made.
Also, really cool idea that you need to clean water, I never saw that in any TR2 custom I played.

Honestly, I'm looking very forward to this adventure. Good luck!

Last edited by Mahetus; 23-11-20 at 21:10.
Mahetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-20, 22:40   #1126
Danath

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahetus View Post
"Little puzzle" you say I'm very curious what you made.
Also, really cool idea that you need to clean water, I never saw that in any TR2 custom I played.

Honestly, I'm looking very forward to this adventure. Good luck!
Thank you very much.

It's not a big deal really, just a nice idea i had for the level, for variety's sake.
At this point i need more patience than luck.

Edit: Also, i decided to scratch the top row of textures, it doesn't look very good. Normal transparent surface works better.

Last edited by Danath; 23-11-20 at 22:41. Reason: forgot one thing
Old 24-11-20, 06:33   #1127
Mahetus

Quote:
Thank you very much.

It's not a big deal really, just a nice idea i had for the level, for variety's sake.
At this point i need more patience than luck.
Still, It's something fresh to the TR2 customs.
Nah, luck is also very important and I'm a very patient person, so you don't need to worry about.
Mahetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-20, 01:52   #1128
Danath

Talking

Finally finished texturing level 5, whoa that took long!

Now i will do the lighting ( which amusingly is much faster to do but more difficult ), then start experimenting with how many decorations the level can handle...

So 75% of the level detail finished now woohoo.
Old 27-11-20, 02:21   #1129
Topixtor

Good news!
Topixtor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-20, 19:17   #1130
Danath

Smile Another level done :)

One step closer to completion, level 5 is now fully detailed.
Enjoy the screenshots:

Finally seeing all those places detailed feels amazing. Being able to create all the textures i need is also fantastic, coupled with the increased polygon limit of the patch which enables me to furnish the level with statics and have no problems.

And here's the loading screen for this level:

I realized it should be named Siberia with an i, not with y. Or at least that's what Google says... There's Syberia which is a series of games and that got me confused i suppose.

Now taking a small break before beginning with level 6 detail, this one was very long and hard to do.