Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Old 06-02-19, 18:12   #11
Kapu

It's a shame the animations from TRL and TRA were only used in two games. The animators clearly put a lot of time and energy into making them fluid and realistic. Underworld would have been a much better game if CD hadn't tried to cram in those crappy, underdeveloped mo-cap anims. Imagine a world where TRU had reused the existing in-game anims combined with motion captured cutscenes...would have been nice!
Kapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-19, 02:05   #12
Girafarig32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey79100 View Post
Actually that is not true.
Well that's your opinion.

I was referring to responsiveness so I suppose this is more a control issue and not an animation. If you completely take away the controls, many of the animations from AoD and L/A are similar, especially looking at the beta//unused animations from AoD.
Girafarig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-19, 06:14   #13
thabani33

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnanonymouz View Post
I think Tomb Raider Anniversary has the best animations in the LAU trilogy. Especially the climbing animations. I love when she has to reach a higher platform she uses her leg to push herself, it's really cute! I think it's the best game in the trilogy in general tbh.
I thought I was the only one who appreciated Lara's climbing animations in Anniversary. I'm with you that it's the best game in its trilogy, if only they could have done away with those pointless quick-time events.
thabani33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-19, 06:44   #14
Joey79100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girafarig32 View Post
Well that's your opinion.

I was referring to responsiveness so I suppose this is more a control issue and not an animation. If you completely take away the controls, many of the animations from AoD and L/A are similar, especially looking at the beta//unused animations from AoD.
You meant the control but you wrote animations, that's why. Sorry if that was not what you meant.
I'd still argue that AOD's animation have a far better quality compared to L/A though, because of how detailed and closer to a real character it is.
Joey79100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-19, 07:16   #15
Chamayoo

They were over ambitious with the motion capture animations of TRU. It's clear they didn't have the time and budget to finish them properly. It looks like it lacks some transitions between animations and struggle to find the right speed. After that they returned to handmade animation for the reboot trilogy and just keep motion capture for cutscenes. The trauma is real.

I wouldn't mind too seeing TRU keeping TRL/TRA animations as I like them and find them good. All the new moves introduced for the game deserved good animations... I mean it would be a blast.

I like AOD ones too.
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-19, 07:47   #16
Caesum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverin View Post
I guess they used new technology a little too early and that they became a little overambitious.
Motion capture was quite popular already back then so personally I don't think the technology was new or too early. I'd say it was probably lack of time and maybe a bad team choice. That being said I believe ever since TRU Tomb Raider's animations have always been quirky.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-19, 22:41   #17
Yeauxleaux

Yeah I have no idea what went wrong in Underworld either. Considering they went on and on about "Motion capture! REALISTIC movement!" during the promotional campaign for Underworld (I remember, God they wouldn't shut up about it) the animations were probably the worst in the series, even more than the CORE games.

Actually I think in any game, animations tend to look mediocre at best when they use motion capture. It can look uncanny, or best case scenario the animations just don't look impressive or aesthetically pleasing because they're too realistic. The only games I've seen where I've liked it have been games by Naughty Dog, and I think it's because ND are always really on top of their **** when it comes to visuals, story direction/characterisation and attention to detail.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 07-02-19 at 22:43.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-19, 23:23   #18
Samz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
Yeah I have no idea what went wrong in Underworld either. Considering they went on and on about "Motion capture! REALISTIC movement!" during the promotional campaign for Underworld (I remember, God they wouldn't shut up about it) the animations were probably the worst in the series, even more than the CORE games.

Actually I think in any game, animations tend to look mediocre at best when they use motion capture. It can look uncanny, or best case scenario the animations just don't look impressive or aesthetically pleasing because they're too realistic. The only games I've seen where I've liked it have been games by Naughty Dog, and I think it's because ND are always really on top of their **** when it comes to visuals, story direction/characterisation and attention to detail.
Probabky because they had to sync it up to game speed.
Samz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-19, 11:09   #19
johnanonymouz

I agree that the animations in Angel of Darkness were really impressive, especially for their time. They looked really realistic and smooth imo. They weren't appreciated so much cause of all the gameplay mess surrounding the rest of the game.
johnanonymouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-19, 15:58   #20
Legends

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnanonymouz View Post
I think Tomb Raider Anniversary has the best animations in the LAU trilogy. Especially the climbing animations. I love when she has to reach a higher platform she uses her leg to push herself, it's really cute! I think it's the best game in the trilogy in general tbh.
I've always liked that one too. I think the animations in Anniversary was tweaked just enough from Legend too look really good, but in Underworld everything was clearly unfinished and buggy. I wish they just went with the Anniversary animations for Underworld. The speed along with her superhero-like moves in Underworld was so choppy and just didn't look good. Imagine Underworld getting another year of polishing and it might have been a totally different experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post

Yeah pretty much this. The motion capture technology just hasn't worked out for Tomb Raider. Ever since they began using it the animations have looked terrible for the most part. Voice acting has taking a serious dip also with the motion capture. It's like they just skipped "quality control" and just approved everything because they assumed it would be better.
Legends is offline   Reply With Quote