www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 15-05-19, 20:31   #11
Chamayoo
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post
I'd rathe the grapple be like in Underworld where she shoots it rather than one she throws. I've never really liked that way of doing it.
Oh really ? The way Underworld handle it as a gun was unusual but I think I liked it too. I still prefer to see her throwing it but I remember it was a bit weird to see in TRL/TRA the cord throwing in an ultra straight and super high speed way, with the only power of Lara's hands. I like it the more traditional way, ala Indy's lasso, I don't know there is something satisfactory to see it in action.
Old 15-05-19, 21:13   #12
Enya Brennan
Relic Hunter

The grappling gun was excellent, indeed. I loved how responsive it was and how it allowed Lara to reach plenty of places by attaching it both while on the ground and while performing jumps. It also introduced puzzle components and still had previous features like wall runs and abseiling. Bring it back, I say
Old 15-05-19, 21:23   #13
jajay119
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamayoo View Post
Oh really ? The way Underworld handle it as a gun was unusual but I think I liked it too. I still prefer to see her throwing it but I remember it was a bit weird to see in TRL/TRA the cord throwing in an ultra straight and super high speed way, with the only power of Lara's hands. I like it the more traditional way, ala Indy's lasso, I don't know there is something satisfactory to see it in action.
I just thought the gun grapple makes more sense: it would be more forceful and go further. If they changed how the manual hand grapple works so you have to throw it when grounded then jump I wouldn't mind but I really hate how you throw it mid jump and it jusy magically reaches and attaches where its meant to go. Especially given in the reboot its a pick axe and not even a real grapple.
Old 15-05-19, 21:49   #14
Chamayoo
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enya Brennan View Post
The grappling gun was excellent, indeed. I loved how responsive it was and how it allowed Lara to reach plenty of places by attaching it both while on the ground and while performing jumps. It also introduced puzzle components and still had previous features like wall runs and abseiling. Bring it back, I say
Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post
I just thought the gun grapple makes more sense: it would be more forceful and go further. If they changed how the manual hand grapple works so you have to throw it when grounded then jump I wouldn't mind but I really hate how you throw it mid jump and it jusy magically reaches and attaches where its meant to go. Especially given in the reboot its a pick axe and not even a real grapple.
I understand your views and share the same. I love the features the grapple offered in Underworld but I haven't really link that with the gun itself. I think Lara could do mostly the same with a traditional grapple, but yeah the gun is obviously faster, more precise and powerful so it makes more sense. Especially during a jump.
Ha just realized a manual aiming system would also make this more believable as you have to aim, adjust and be fast rather than an automated and magic grapple like before.
Old 15-05-19, 22:36   #15
Grimaldi
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enya Brennan View Post
Agreed! I thought being able to wind the cord around objects was a great addition, itd be cool to see that return with a more conventional grapple, too.
Old 16-05-19, 00:44   #16
Melonie Tomb Raider
Gold Contributor

Honestly I just like the basics, Lara scaling cliffsides without gear, no grapples, no rope arrows. They get too gimmicky, I think all Lara really needs is a standard few weapons (dual pistols, uzis, M16, Shotgun, Grenade Launcher) and that's that.
Old 16-05-19, 00:50   #17
Legends
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonie Tomb Raider View Post
Honestly I just like the basics, Lara scaling cliffsides without gear, no grapples, no rope arrows. They get too gimmicky, I think all Lara really needs is a standard few weapons (dual pistols, uzis, M16, Shotgun, Grenade Launcher) and that's that.
I agree. It's been so much clutter lately that I'd love to get rid of all of it. Particularly the rope mechanic. I hate that.
Legends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-19, 01:28   #18
veigafd
Archaeologist

My main grip with these new TR mechanics is that you don't need to think. Even when I do a first playthrough of the game at the hardest difficulty you know that you need to put a rope arrow in the place because of the amount of ropes scattered around the map or how you need to break a barrier with a shotgun and such.
I suppose they need to be more creative in the next game and at least change each interactible model in the levels.
Also, they could make the platforming challenging again, and if you fall of the edge Lara won't grab unless you do.
Old 16-05-19, 07:28   #19
Melonie Tomb Raider
Gold Contributor

I honestly feel like the Resident Evil 2 Remake Puzzles were along the same lines as classic TR puzzles. No fancy grapples or rope arrows, just sticking to the basic mechanics of keys, moveable objects, collectible items that actually progress the gameplay, etc. Not that TR needs to be exactly like RE2Remake, but the puzzle mechanics are very similar, and they WORKED even in a new game, so they can work for Tomb Raider too.
Old 16-05-19, 08:05   #20
killchan
Historian

Tenchu (the first 4 games for PS1 and PS2 ) did the grappling right:
you were able to grapple everywhere. Because of that, surfaces had no reason to look any different than others. Total freedom, no obvious grappling spots, no button prompts, no context sensitive bs. Everything was up to the player and you felt like a ****ing ninja