www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 15-05-19, 20:31   #11
Chamayoo
Professor
 
Chamayoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 4,260
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post
I'd rathe the grapple be like in Underworld where she shoots it rather than one she throws. I've never really liked that way of doing it.
Oh really ? The way Underworld handle it as a gun was unusual but I think I liked it too. I still prefer to see her throwing it but I remember it was a bit weird to see in TRL/TRA the cord throwing in an ultra straight and super high speed way, with the only power of Lara's hands. I like it the more traditional way, ala Indy's lasso, I don't know there is something satisfactory to see it in action.
__________________
PS2 TRU remaster on Ouya pls
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-19, 21:13   #12
Enya Brennan
Relic Hunter
 
Enya Brennan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Moons of Jupiter
Posts: 6,962
Default

The grappling gun was excellent, indeed. I loved how responsive it was and how it allowed Lara to reach plenty of places by attaching it both while on the ground and while performing jumps. It also introduced puzzle components and still had previous features like wall runs and abseiling. Bring it back, I say
__________________
And their tower of confusion could not drown the light from your star...
Enya Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-19, 21:23   #13
jajay119
Tomb Raider
 
jajay119's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 18,626
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamayoo View Post
Oh really ? The way Underworld handle it as a gun was unusual but I think I liked it too. I still prefer to see her throwing it but I remember it was a bit weird to see in TRL/TRA the cord throwing in an ultra straight and super high speed way, with the only power of Lara's hands. I like it the more traditional way, ala Indy's lasso, I don't know there is something satisfactory to see it in action.
I just thought the gun grapple makes more sense: it would be more forceful and go further. If they changed how the manual hand grapple works so you have to throw it when grounded then jump I wouldn't mind but I really hate how you throw it mid jump and it jusy magically reaches and attaches where its meant to go. Especially given in the reboot its a pick axe and not even a real grapple.
__________________
Merry Christmas, Ya filthy animal.
jajay119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-19, 21:49   #14
Chamayoo
Professor
 
Chamayoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 4,260
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enya Brennan View Post
The grappling gun was excellent, indeed. I loved how responsive it was and how it allowed Lara to reach plenty of places by attaching it both while on the ground and while performing jumps. It also introduced puzzle components and still had previous features like wall runs and abseiling. Bring it back, I say
Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post
I just thought the gun grapple makes more sense: it would be more forceful and go further. If they changed how the manual hand grapple works so you have to throw it when grounded then jump I wouldn't mind but I really hate how you throw it mid jump and it jusy magically reaches and attaches where its meant to go. Especially given in the reboot its a pick axe and not even a real grapple.
I understand your views and share the same. I love the features the grapple offered in Underworld but I haven't really link that with the gun itself. I think Lara could do mostly the same with a traditional grapple, but yeah the gun is obviously faster, more precise and powerful so it makes more sense. Especially during a jump.
Ha just realized a manual aiming system would also make this more believable as you have to aim, adjust and be fast rather than an automated and magic grapple like before.
__________________
PS2 TRU remaster on Ouya pls
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-19, 22:36   #15
Grimaldi
Professor
 
Grimaldi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: The crowds of Cozumel
Posts: 3,532
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enya Brennan View Post
The grappling gun was excellent, indeed. I loved how responsive it was and how it allowed Lara to reach plenty of places by attaching it both while on the ground and while performing jumps. It also introduced puzzle components and still had previous features like wall runs and abseiling. Bring it back, I say
Agreed! I thought being able to wind the cord around objects was a great addition, itd be cool to see that return with a more conventional grapple, too.
__________________
Nothing dies down here.
Grimaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-19, 00:44   #16
Melonie Tomb Raider
Gold Contributor
 
Melonie Tomb Raider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 26,053
Default

Honestly I just like the basics, Lara scaling cliffsides without gear, no grapples, no rope arrows. They get too gimmicky, I think all Lara really needs is a standard few weapons (dual pistols, uzis, M16, Shotgun, Grenade Launcher) and that's that.
__________________
I can do all things through Croft who strengthens me
Melonie Tomb Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-19, 00:50   #17
Legends
Tomb Raider
 
Legends's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 17,595
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonie Tomb Raider View Post
Honestly I just like the basics, Lara scaling cliffsides without gear, no grapples, no rope arrows. They get too gimmicky, I think all Lara really needs is a standard few weapons (dual pistols, uzis, M16, Shotgun, Grenade Launcher) and that's that.
I agree. It's been so much clutter lately that I'd love to get rid of all of it. Particularly the rope mechanic. I hate that.
Legends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-19, 01:28   #18
veigafd
Archaeologist
 
veigafd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: brazil
Posts: 1,596
Default

My main grip with these new TR mechanics is that you don't need to think. Even when I do a first playthrough of the game at the hardest difficulty you know that you need to put a rope arrow in the place because of the amount of ropes scattered around the map or how you need to break a barrier with a shotgun and such.
I suppose they need to be more creative in the next game and at least change each interactible model in the levels.
Also, they could make the platforming challenging again, and if you fall of the edge Lara won't grab unless you do.
__________________
Behold!You are now free from the outfit restric...WAIT FOR STREAMING...
veigafd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-19, 07:28   #19
Melonie Tomb Raider
Gold Contributor
 
Melonie Tomb Raider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 26,053
Default

I honestly feel like the Resident Evil 2 Remake Puzzles were along the same lines as classic TR puzzles. No fancy grapples or rope arrows, just sticking to the basic mechanics of keys, moveable objects, collectible items that actually progress the gameplay, etc. Not that TR needs to be exactly like RE2Remake, but the puzzle mechanics are very similar, and they WORKED even in a new game, so they can work for Tomb Raider too.
__________________
I can do all things through Croft who strengthens me
Melonie Tomb Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-19, 08:05   #20
killchan
Historian
 
killchan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Italy...?
Posts: 478
Default

Tenchu (the first 4 games for PS1 and PS2 ) did the grappling right:
you were able to grapple everywhere. Because of that, surfaces had no reason to look any different than others. Total freedom, no obvious grappling spots, no button prompts, no context sensitive bs. Everything was up to the player and you felt like a ****ing ninja
__________________
Naughty Dog is only good at making people talk while you don't press anything.
killchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 15:49.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.