www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat > Arts and Entertainment

Old 15-05-19, 22:05   #291
biscuits
Professor

I wonder what went through Dany's mind when she was torching all those innocent civilians. We never actually saw her while the act was committed.
Old 15-05-19, 22:24   #292
Catapharact
Tomb Raider

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverin View Post
"The budget" please

If as the most popular series today lack in budget to do whatever they want. It's a cash cow.
Believe it or not, the Budget did play a big part in this debacle.

I don't know if a lot of people know this but HBO was recently bought off by AT&T and they are making HUGE changes in the programing segment of HBO; Namely they want to bring in new content with shorter episode Time Span:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/4/18...rner-streaming

In short, AT&T wants to put most of the budget towards new content with 20 or less min. time span and as such, hour long shows like GoT will be taking a backburner with the company's new policy. I wouldn't be surprised if the producers of the show were told to wrap things up quickly with GoT in light of AT&T pushing for their new plan.

Stupid move? Oh you bet it is!

While I am not against a company aiming to create new original content for its viewers (worked out perfectly for Amazon,) it seems like such an idiotic move not to end one of HBO's best cash cow series on a high note; ESPECIALLY when you consider that they plan on making a spin-off series.

I am pretty sure the viewership for anything GoT related will take a huge dive in the future when you consider that Amazon is currently working on an original Lord of the Rings series with a back story of how Sauron came into power. Given that Peter Jackson is going to be the lead Director for the series, HBO has some serious competition ahead of them.

So, a really bad move on AT&T's part.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
I wonder what went through Dany's mind when she was torching all those innocent civilians. We never actually saw her while the act was committed.

Last edited by Catapharact; 15-05-19 at 22:35.
Catapharact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-19, 22:36   #293
sheepman23
Relic Hunter

I could've handled Dany's Mad Queen rampage if the show had actually built up to it in a meaningful way. And before I get the smattering of "SHE LOVED BURNING PEOPLE IN EARLIER SEASONS AND TAKING WHAT WAS HERS WITH FIRE AND BLOOD!", I want to explain that I totally agree that she's always had violent tendencies. The ways in which she decides to execute those that she deems bad people are pretty nasty and certainly in line with her Targaryen history.

But let's stop acting like the people that she killed in Seasons 1-7 were innocent civilians, because they never were. In a medieval world like Westeros, how is a ruler supposed to rule if they aren't willing to make the hard decisions? To slaughter slavers and masters who go back on their word, to execute the woman who killed her husband, to torch the Lannister army after they had taken all of her own forces?

Hell, even the kill of Varys isn't what the show wants it to be. Killing a treasonous advisor who you had already given a second chance isn't outrageous. Jon executes the traitors who killed him and no one bats an eye. But when Dany does it, well, she's just mad.

Which brings me to the King's Landing assault. What I COULD have very easily believed was her going completely mad on the Red Keep and accidentally killing civilians in the process. As we've already established, she doesn't care about giving nasty deaths to those who are truly bad people. And not understanding how her rage killed innocents could have been something for the finale to contend with. But instead, she doesn't even attack Cersei and instead goes full psycho on innocent civilians. Again, AT NO POINT IN THE SERIES has Dany ever wanted to hurt the common folk. Her entire arc has been about liberating them. It would be like if Jaime went 7 seasons of growth as a character and then literally said the words "I never really cared much for the people. Innocent or otherwise." ... Oh wait.

*sigh* I'm so exhausted with this show. I actually really, really, REALLY wanted to like the last episode after watching it. It was shocking. In fact, it might have been the most shocking thing they've done since Cersei blew up the Sept of Baelor. But in retrospect, it was shocking for very wrong reasons. I can only hope that they put the show out in the most boring way possible in the next episode so that they don't ruin any more character arcs.
sheepman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-19, 23:42   #294
Legends
Tomb Raider

Dany's descent into madness could have been one of the best plots in TV ever, and they butchered it. I feel like the show is nothing but a huge spoiler for the books now with no proper character building.
Legends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-19, 23:54   #295
sheepman23
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends View Post
Dany's descent into madness could have been one of the best plots in TV ever, and they butchered it. I feel like the show is nothing but a huge spoiler for the books now with no proper character building.
Agreed, and I think that's why I struggled so much with it after the episode. I wanted to believe that that was one of the series' greatest plot twists. But it wasn't because it didn't feel earned.

Take the Red Wedding for example. The Red Wedding was foreshadowed by two HUGE moments: Catelyn freeing Jaime Lannister and Robb marrying Talisa instead of Walder Frey's daughter. As a result, when they were slaughtered out of nowhere, it hits you afterwards that you should've expected it since they gave big warning signs.

On the other hand, Dany's rage may have been foreshadowed, but her slaughtering of innocent civilians was not. It offers her no political gain when she had already won and goes against her moral fiber. That's what so wrong about it to me.
sheepman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-19, 01:25   #296
iWANEX
Gold Contributor

Have you guys seen this video about the cast being disappointed with the ending? Emilia's reaction is sooooo cringey, OMG. And Kit's? He didn't hold back at all.

Part of me thinks this is edited because holy ****.

iWANEX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-19, 06:40   #297
Lara's home
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis's Mom View Post

She regretted killing Joffrey in such a cruel fashion, and he freaking deserved it.
She did?
Old 16-05-19, 08:04   #298
trfanX34
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWANEX View Post
Have you guys seen this video about the cast being disappointed with the ending? Emilia's reaction is sooooo cringey, OMG. And Kit's? He didn't hold back at all.

Part of me thinks this is edited because holy ****.

[youtube]EA7UQOYskas[youtube]
Everywhere. They’re talking about the nature of the ending, not the quality of the season. They’re highly paid actors, they wouldn’t screw up like that. The producers would have their heads.

Last edited by trfanX34; 16-05-19 at 08:06.
trfanX34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-19, 08:29   #299
Mani_Man
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmoor View Post
Is anyone else glad it's coming to and end?

I am. Now that my favourite characters have been destroyed (I don't care if it was always meant to be), I'm just irritated by the whole thing.

Thank god, there is only 1 final episode left.
For a while now yeah, the show has lost a lot of quality ever since they ran out of source material.
But even more so with season 8.
Its just so obvious that the just wanted to finish the show any way possible.
I dont get why but they were hellbent on finishing a story that would have had at least 2 full seasons left to tell.

The level of Arrogance the showrunners had is incredible.

EDIT:
I can feel how my annoyance with the season grows...so i will probably have long and strong languaged rants sooner or later.
Because i slowly digest it all and get more and more annoyed.

Seriously, was there a interview or so where they justified or excused why the **** Brienne of ****ing Tarth stood there and wept like a little child?
I get that love storys are a thing and tend to make character vunerable and so on...but god damn it to hell.
In which world would have the character done THAT...god damn.

Last edited by Mani_Man; 16-05-19 at 11:15.
Mani_Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-19, 12:25   #300
Dennis's Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara's home View Post
She did?

"I'd hate to die like your son. Clawing at my neck, foam and bile spilling from my mouth, eyes blood red, skin purple. Must have been horrible for you, as a Kingsguard, as a father. It was horrible enough for me. A shocking scene. Not at all what I intended. You see, I had never seen the poison work before. Tell Cersei. I want her to know it was me."
―Olenna's parting words to Jaime Lannister.