Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Video Games

Old 28-04-12, 15:14   #2041
Spong
Beyond The Floating Islands

Finished installing the HD Collection and have had a quick run through of SH2's Born From A Wish. The attract mode video that plays on the title screen looks awful, truly shocking, as does the end credits video. It's like they've taken a shoddy YouTube video of the FMV and upscaled that.

Maria sounds like a man (seriously, Mary Liz is terrible) and James sounds like he's either had a stroke or he's been sniffing too much glue. Some of the creature audio sounded screwed up. The mannequins sounded like they were made of springs and the beetles sounded like they were clockwork. And I swear there was missing music and/or ambience during the cutscenes.

Having said all that though, credit where it's due, the gameplay was identical and the frame rate was rock solid throughout. I know the BfaW game is only short and the street area you sprint through isn't all that, but what was there didn't miss a beat once, and I was watching it like a hawk the whole time.

And I forgot that I have to compete SH2 at least once before I can turn off that annoying noise effect

On to the main game now, complete with retard voices...
Spong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-12, 15:17   #2042
musicmaestro10

Talking

Money well spent spong !
musicmaestro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-12, 15:20   #2043
Spong

There's no blur or focus pulling in the opening cutscene with James in the toilets
Old 28-04-12, 15:21   #2044
musicmaestro10

Smile

That is bad right?
Old 28-04-12, 15:33   #2045
Spong

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmaestro10 View Post
That is bad right?
The original had it.

There's some dodgy audio looping going on. I noticed it at the start of the BfaW game while the 'Heaven's Night' track was playing, instead of looping seamlessly there's an noticeable cut back to the start of the track. It just did it again with the 'Forest' track that plays during the first Angela cutscene, and again with the 'A World of Madness' track after it while you're stood in the graveyard. I guess the audio's screwed in SH2 then. For now...
Old 28-04-12, 15:34   #2046
musicmaestro10

Smile

Why don't you play it when tbe patch comes out?
Old 28-04-12, 18:31   #2047
Yuna´s Wish

You're letting your vivid memories of games you love blind you, Spong. Like the others say, understand that this was their best effort to make a new experience...the sound loops and the like are intentional and part of the whole concept! Enjoy it, dammit!

Can't wait for the patch for Downpour! I'm extremely glad for it I'd replay it several times in a row (like I did back in the day with the first three SHs) if it wasn't for the current technical issues.
Yuna´s Wish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-12, 20:17   #2048
Carbonek_0051
Inactive

Default 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spong View Post
There's some dodgy audio looping going on. I noticed it at the start of the BfaW game while the 'Heaven's Night' track was playing, instead of looping seamlessly there's an noticeable cut back to the start of the track. It just did it again with the 'Forest' track that plays during the first Angela cutscene, and again with the 'A World of Madness' track after it while you're stood in the graveyard. I guess the audio's screwed in SH2 then. For now...
I don't remember having that issue at all.
Carbonek_0051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-12, 20:23   #2049
Noodleboy

Just finished Downpour, and both SH2 and SH3 HD. Downpour was great, I felt so lost sometimes because of the massive areas. It wasn't very scary, but the story sure did intrigue me.

I wasn't fond of the SH2 HD voicework, especially Mary/Maria's voice was horrible. But on the other hand, I never truly liked Angela's voice in the original either. The voicework for SH3 HD really had to grow on me, but in the end I think they did a great job. I was very used to Heather Morris' voice in the original, but I think the new actress did a good job. I was very surprised though during the scene before the fight against the Missionary where the subtitles said: "I'll get you for this!" but Heather actually said: "I'll kill you, you B****!"
I was like
Noodleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-12, 20:58   #2050
Spong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuna´s Wish View Post
...the sound loops and the like are intentional and part of the whole concept!
You're joking, right?
The bad track looping isn't part of the package, unless the package was intended to be broken. It seems every audio track does it, some are really jarring when they cut back to the start, while others get away with it more or less. But they still don't loop like they did in the original. Theme of Lara (Reprise), which plays during Angela's final cutscene on the stairs, played in its entirety then went completely silent for five seconds before looping. And that was right in the middle of the cutscene.

Anyway, I've played and completed SH2 a while ago, made a few mental notes as I went along...
  • Momentary pause at the start of pretty much all cutscenes. I'm guessing that was their PAL release quick-fix to the problem of cutscenes being cut short (if that even happened in the 360 version).
  • First Pyramid Head cutscene audio went out of sync.
  • No music during the FMV when James meets Maria in Rosewater Park.
  • The 'Maximum Grip' tyre advert texture in the petrol station was the correct way round
  • Brookhaven isn't called Blookhaven any more
  • Music during the cutscene before the Flesh Lips fight was screwed.
  • Framerate and audio at the end of Flesh Lips fight crashed & burned badly because of an on-screen tracer effect.
  • The weird 'squeak' sound that can sometimes be heard in basement of the Otherworld Brookhaven kept repeating over & over.
  • No sound effect accompanying Maria getting skewered outside the lift.
  • Tracer effect turning on & off during the cutscene after the Abstract Daddy fight made the audio go out of sync.
  • You can see through the wall at the start of the cutscene when James finds Maria's body in the Labyrinth.
  • New 'tinkly' noise added to the cutscene before fighting Eddie
  • Wrong ambience in the background of the second cutscene while fighting Eddie.
  • Remixed 'Laura Plays the Piano' during the cutscene with Laura at the hotel
  • Screwed audio in the basement boiler room of the hotel that loops over & over really quickly.
  • The 'True' music track used during the 312 cutscene fades in at the start, first piano note is missed.
  • Maria's right eye in the double Pyramid Head cutscene, for some reason the texture has been replaced with one of teeth . I had to Google it, it tripped me out that much. All I can find is this vid as proof I'm not mental.
  • Extra rain in final boss cutscene
  • No music at the start of the 'Maria' ending
  • All FMVs have rows of pixels along the top of the image that should be displayed at the bottom of the image, making it look as though the picture has wrapped round from the bottom to the top. Some cutscenes (usually ones with effects) had the same thing happening too. That might be to do with the resolution I was playing at though, I'll have to check that out.
  • Inconsistent borders. I don't know why there were borders on cutscenes at all to be honest, some had borders while others didn't. The cutscene where James first finds the radio alternated between having borders and being full-screen, depending on the shot.
  • The game still has the walk/run bug that effects characters when they're on stairs
  • You can still refill your stamina instantly by picking up an item
  • Diagonal 'slice' across the whole picture when you pause, when you enter the inventory, when you exit it, when you look at a map, when you exit the map. It's most easily spotted when you pause and unpause the game quickly, one half of the image keeps shifting ever so slightly and you can spot a slice in the image going from one top corner to the opposite bottom corner.

And something that's 360-specific, when I entered the Guide menu while the game was showing me my ending stats, the whole thing lagged terribly, two or three frames a second at best. It lagged so much that it was hard to get it to register button presses.

Looks like it's mostly a list of gripes, but they're gripes that vary between negligible and full-on spoil, it's not all stuff that I think ruins the experience. Beyond that list, there's nothing to really complain about. Yes, the fog is crap in places and it makes a mockery of the Rosewater Park cutscene and the 'Maria' ending, but when you're running about the streets, it's really not that bad. And the game ran smoothly from beginning to end too, not one moment of iffy frame rates spoiling the actual gameplay

Last edited by Spong; 28-04-12 at 22:07.