Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 16-05-19, 01:08   #131
veigafd

I guess that's a shave knife.
veigafd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-19, 02:58   #132
tomblover

Have we still not changed the misleading title of this thread?
tomblover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-19, 03:13   #133
Swiz19

I think all this 'sexiness' and 'sensuality' chat over Lara is odd. To me - outside of marketing, she wasn't a very sensual character. Sure she spoke 'flirtatiously' if you took it that way, but she wasn't overtly in your face. Nor should she be.

Visually? Well yeah, she was supposed to look 'sexy'. But she was also designed in a very 90s fashion where she was a caricature. Which is fine, but it's also dated so I don't see an issue with them trying to go for realistic visuals. However, I don't agree with them removing things that always made Lara visually iconic. She can still be 'sexy' in a realistic, digestable fashion, however they've just gone completely opposite with her character. Instead of naturally thinking she's 'got it all', you really have to search for it and leave it up to individual interpretation. Which IMO isn't good.

She just needs that cut throat, sassy confidence back with less focus on emotion and Lara will be fine. Visually though, she needs an overhaul.

Last edited by Swiz19; 16-05-19 at 03:24.
Swiz19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-19, 15:07   #134
Amunet

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWANEX View Post
By the way, did you notice how she has a red "axe" here? I wonder if CD took inspiration from this when they were planning the reboot.
The red axe from the reboot is clearly inspired by the movie The Descent. TR2013 was heavily inspired by this film, as evidenced by the scenes from the game that are quite similar (if not identical) to some from the movie (like the blood bath scene and the getting out of the cave scene).

As for the rest of the discussion regarding that old comic, I've already commented on the other thread.
Amunet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-19, 16:05   #135
Hepburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amunet View Post
The red axe from the reboot is clearly inspired by the movie The Descent. TR2013 was heavily inspired by this film, as evidenced by the scenes from the game that are quite similar (if not identical) to some from the movie (like the blood bath scene and the getting out of the cave scene).
This was always my impression as well... and it's part of the reason why I think TR2013's narrative and character arc work better than those of Rise/Shadow. TR2013 is also heavily inspired by the children's novel Island of the Blue Dolphins, which a number of us probably had to read in grade school. The plot of that book involves a young girl stranded on an island--she has to craft tools/shelter and hunt in order to survive. Both The Descent and Island of the Blue Dolphins are about women that learn they can actually fight back against the wild/unknown/supernatural. We see a similar transformation take place in TR2013's Lara.

I know not everyone on this forum is happy with how the reboot Lara is portrayed, but I think TR2013 was fairly successful in re-imagining her and updating her for a new era. The writers/developers of that game had a very clear idea of what they wanted to do with her, and they executed on it. There was a clear alignment between the narrative and the gameplay (survival/crafting mechanics) that become more muddled in Rise/Shadow. These later two games are problematic in this regard because--in my mind--Lara already became the "Tomb Raider" by the midpoint of TR2013. In Rise/Shadow, the survival/crafting mechanics are out-of-place, and Lara's character has regressed in several ways. So I think the real issue with reboot Lara's portrayal is that the franchise didn't properly build on TR2013's foundation.

Last edited by Hepburn; 16-05-19 at 16:06.
Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-19, 17:35   #136
mandylane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellioft View Post
Maybe she does have a point.

I'm a fan of Tomb Raider for it's gameplay mechanics/story not for the look of Lara. I don't care about her having short or longer clothes. Because I'm not interested by Lara's appearence.

It's not gonna fix everything for me if they give Lara her short and pistols and release a mediocre game (Chronicles style).
haha the old tomb raider outfits (oldschool) are so... pointless they look weird with the good graphics i never even tried them ingame
mandylane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-19, 01:06   #137
leomage

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWANEX View Post
...And for the record, I don't think there's a real Lara. Just different interpretations of the character.

But funnily enough, I just read the Sega Mean Machine comic that was supposed to be a canon prelude of TR1 and not only she's pictured as this ruthless woman with big muscles, no cleavage and longer shorts, but she has an edge to her that was completely missing in the later games...
Thanks for posting those panels, I love them. This is how I've always interpreted classic Lara. It makes sense that we all have our own interpretation of her, depending on different factors like when we joined the fandom and how our brains perceived those 90s polygons. But sometimes I feel so disconnected from how CD and (some) other fans think of her. This is a nice reminder that my interpretation of Lara is as canon as anyone else's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepburn View Post
I know not everyone on this forum is happy with how the reboot Lara is portrayed, but I think TR2013 was fairly successful in re-imagining her and updating her for a new era. The writers/developers of that game had a very clear idea of what they wanted to do with her, and they executed on it. There was a clear alignment between the narrative and the gameplay (survival/crafting mechanics) that become more muddled in Rise/Shadow. These later two games are problematic in this regard because--in my mind--Lara already became the "Tomb Raider" by the midpoint of TR2013. In Rise/Shadow, the survival/crafting mechanics are out-of-place, and Lara's character has regressed in several ways. So I think the real issue with reboot Lara's portrayal is that the franchise didn't properly build on TR2013's foundation.
There's lots I love about Shadow and lots I dislike about TR2013, but I still agree with this. TR2013 was successful because the devs had a clear vision for the game and executed it confidently. Since then, it's felt like the devs aren't really sure what direction to go in, with the gameplay, Lara's character, and the franchise as a whole. So they just stuck to the "survival" formula when it really didn't make sense any more. I think Shadow is a better Tomb Raider game than TR2013, but I can fully understand why people outside of the TR fandom were more interested in TR2013 than Shadow.

Last edited by leomage; 18-05-19 at 01:13.
leomage is offline   Reply With Quote