Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 13-05-19, 17:54   #1
Vaskito

Default SOTTR - 7M units sold

Accordingly to this article, the game has now sold 7 Million units

Quote:
Square Enix has published the data for the fiscal year ended at the end of March 2019, showing a positive trend for net sales led above all by Shadow of the Tomb Raider and Kingdom Hearts 3 but decidedly less positive with regard to total revenues.
According to the documents released, in the “digital entertainment” segment where Kingdom Hearts 3, Shadow of the Tomb Raider and Just Cause 4 to push net sales, which saw an 8.2% increase compared to the fiscal year previous one. However, profits operational and ordinary saw a decline, mainly due to the costs of producing new securities and worse than expected for mobile and browser titles compared to the previous fiscal year. Likewise, a drop in the licensing section also contributed to the reduction in operating revenues.

Note the new achievements of the major Square Enix series:

Final Fantasy Series: 144 million copies (an increase of 2 million compared to the previous quarter)

Dragon Quest series: 78 million copies (an increase of 2 million compared to the previous quarter)

Tomb Raider series: 74 million copies (an increase of 7 million compared to the previous quarter)

Noteworthy are the 7 million copies registered by Shadow of the Tomb Raider in the first quarter of 2019, demonstrating how the game is still doing well on the market.
As it's tradition within the reboot, SOTTR is a slow burner. I'm really happy it's doing well

Last edited by Vaskito; 13-05-19 at 17:56.
Vaskito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-19, 17:55   #2
biscuits

That's wonderful news!
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-19, 17:58   #3
RAID

Excellent news!!!

Thanks for sharing.
RAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-19, 18:16   #4
tlr online
Tomb Raider Forums

Question

No mention of this figure for Shadow of the Tomb Raider in the actual earnings report.

I wonder if the author is confusing this with the number of all Tomb Raider titles sold during the period.

From a January 22, 2019 press release: "TOMB RAIDER, which has sold over 67 million units worldwide... "

From a March 5, 2019 press release: "TOMB RAIDER, which has sold over 74 million units worldwide... "

Which is indeed a rise of 7 million, for all franchise titles.
tlr online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-19, 18:17   #5
AntRaidsTombs

Congrats Shadow!!!
AntRaidsTombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-19, 18:17   #6
TrustyBow

Awesome! Way better than any of us expected.
TrustyBow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-19, 18:21   #7
Athukraz

Hard to believe tbh. But then again not really with the amount of times it went on sale
Athukraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-19, 18:25   #8
Vaskito

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlr online View Post
No mention of this figure for Shadow of the Tomb Raider in the actual earnings report.

I wonder if the author is confusing this with the number of all Tomb Raider titles sold during the period.
I was also thinking about it, but even with that increase, I doubt the other titles, besides ROTTR, would sell anything that considerable, in the millions
Vaskito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-19, 18:27   #9
VictorXD

From what I understood there was an increase of 7 million copies sold within the whole series, not just the Shadow title. Probably a lot of people were buying older games as well.

I'm sorry but I find it really hard to believe that Shadow sold 7 million copies alone. TR is a slow burner but even TR2013 struggled to get there and that game was pretty much universally praised (albeit controversial for the fanbase).

I love the game but I find it hard to believe it sold so much in less than a year all things considered. And we all saw how many times it was on discount so I'm worried about the actual profit the game brought in, not just sales numbers.
VictorXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-19, 18:27   #10
charmedangelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlr online View Post

That's exactly what this is. Shadow did not sell 7 million copies, the author is taking the over all number of all Tomb Raider games and saw an increase of 7 million and attributed that number to Shadow.

There are many Tomb Raider games out there and people buying them up could have increased that number to 7 million. If it's not in the actual earnings report then this Artical is wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaskito View Post
I was also thinking about it, but even with that increase, I doubt the other titles, besides ROTTR, would sell anything that considerable, in the millions
Can't really assume that, especially since it's possible people were buying all sorts of Tomb Raider games. There have been multiple sales for the franchise as a whole and people could have been buying anything during that period.

Last edited by charmedangelin; 13-05-19 at 18:30.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote