www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 17-09-19, 02:50   #31
JoelCaesar
Archaeologist

I keep on wondering if the reboot would have been better if instead of Yamatai we had the original backstory with the plane crash in Nepal. That would have shown a lot more character development in my opinion.
Old 17-09-19, 03:18   #32
VictorXD
Relic Hunter

The problem was never Yamatai, though. Things started going downhill as soon 2013's credits started rolling.

Yamatai is a traumatic enough experience to replace the Nepal one (and frankly possibly something more interesting too), and they had a lot of paths they could with Lara after the first game, where she could grow and become what was promised: a realistic, modern version of Classic Lara. But unfortunately they threw all that potential out the window with Rise and by Shadow it was already too late plus it has it's own mistakes as well (and I'm not 100% sure EM had full liberty for Lara's character in this game so I give them the benefit of the doubt).

Yamatai might not have been perfect to some (though it was for me), but one thing is for sure: it set a nice solid base for room for Lara to grow, the devs just didn't follow through it.
Old 17-09-19, 03:19   #33
tomblover
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelCaesar View Post
I keep on wondering if the reboot would have been better if instead of Yamatai we had the original backstory with the plane crash in Nepal. That would have shown a lot more character development in my opinion.
I'm sure there's a nuance I'm missing completely, but I always thought the plane crash was the weirdest Freudian excuse.

Fine, like, the plane crashes and everyone but her dies - but then she goes on to enjoy herself, somehow, and treks to a random Nepalese village and phones her daddy to come "pick her up?"

It's glib in a surreal kind of way to me, doesn't invoke any real reason why Lara might have actually got something positive (for herself, at least) out of the experience.

Then again, I thought on a whole, the Yamatai concept was executed poorly too...

Last edited by tomblover; 17-09-19 at 03:20.
tomblover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-19, 03:22   #34
Swiz19
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelCaesar View Post

Lara, 21, travelling with her boyfriend over the Himilayas in a private plane. She seems to be putting on a happy front when he tries talking to her, but she gives limited awkward responses. There is weird tension. She's staring out the window, seemingly lost or feeling disconnected from the world around her - but what is it? Is she not fulfilled with life? The boyfriend takes out a ring whilst talking about how their families are so connected, that them being together makes their families happy, all whilst Lara is staring out the window, barely listening.

'Lara, there's something I must ask you' he says. She turns her head away from the window and see's he is holding a ring.

'Oh... Oh Charles I-'

BEEP BEEP BEEP. They've been struck by something. The plane jolts as it hits sudden turbulence. 'WE'RE GOING DOWN!' screams the pilot. The screen goes black... then fades to white.

They have crashed. Lara is in a part of the plane that is stuck in a crevice. She has been impaled by some shrapnel in the lower right side of her torso. Unbuckling her seatbelt, she falls to the ground. She finds her dying boyfriend who professes his love before he dies. Lara doesn't say anything, but her actions seem to reject this. She starts feeling guilty that she doesn't feel more bad.

What happens from here is a wonderful adventure about survival, discovering an ancient, secret village - who heal Lara, but are dealing with a deadly supernatural force in the mountains. Lara realises this is the adventure she's been waiting for, the life of excitement and discovery.

In the end, she leaves the Himalaya's a different person - someone with independence and the thirst for the unsolved wonders of the world. She begins writing in her journal as a way to document her adventures, indicating that she will tell the world of her stories and become a world famous Tomb Raider.

Last edited by Swiz19; 17-09-19 at 03:27.
Swiz19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-19, 04:17   #35
Ahmier
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiz19 View Post
Lara, 21, travelling with her boyfriend over the Himilayas in a private plane. She seems to be putting on a happy front when he tries talking to her, but she gives limited awkward responses. There is weird tension. She's staring out the window, seemingly lost or feeling disconnected from the world around her - but what is it? Is she not fulfilled with life? The boyfriend takes out a ring whilst talking about how their families are so connected, that them being together makes their families happy, all whilst Lara is staring out the window, barely listening.

'Lara, there's something I must ask you' he says. She turns her head away from the window and see's he is holding a ring.

'Oh... Oh Charles I-'

BEEP BEEP BEEP. They've been struck by something. The plane jolts as it hits sudden turbulence. 'WE'RE GOING DOWN!' screams the pilot. The screen goes black... then fades to white.

They have crashed. Lara is in a part of the plane that is stuck in a crevice. She has been impaled by some shrapnel in the lower right side of her torso. Unbuckling her seatbelt, she falls to the ground. She finds her dying boyfriend who professes his love before he dies. Lara doesn't say anything, but her actions seem to reject this. She starts feeling guilty that she doesn't feel more bad.

What happens from here is a wonderful adventure about survival, discovering an ancient, secret village - who heal Lara, but are dealing with a deadly supernatural force in the mountains. Lara realises this is the adventure she's been waiting for, the life of excitement and discovery.

In the end, she leaves the Himalaya's a different person - someone with independence and the thirst for the unsolved wonders of the world. She begins writing in her journal as a way to document her adventures, indicating that she will tell the world of her stories and become a world famous Tomb Raider.
Yes please.
Old 17-09-19, 04:28   #36
Lyle Croft
Professor

Wait a minute.....i just imagined Shadow Lara but with her fiancÚ....

If i could project the rendered out gameplay from my brain. Ugh
Old 17-09-19, 07:45   #37
Kurtis666
Archaeologist

Making a character poor doesn't make him/her more relatable. Look at Batman, he's the most liked and popular DC character ever created, he's rich but people can still relate to him in many ways.

Money doesn't define a character, traits do.
Kurtis666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-19, 14:21   #38
Gabi
Super Moderator

Quote:

'Oh... Oh Charles I-'

This sounds better to me than anything that we did get.
Old 17-09-19, 14:22   #39
killchan
Explorer

Quote:
Lara, 21, travelling with her boyfriend over the Himilayas in a private plane. She seems to be putting on a happy front when he tries talking to her, but she gives limited awkward responses. There is weird tension. She's staring out the window...
so many Uncharted plotlines in here.

4 , and 2, and some chapters of 3...
Old 17-09-19, 14:33   #40
Blackmoor
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtis666 View Post
Making a character poor doesn't make him/her more relatable. Look at Batman, he's the most liked and popular DC character ever created, he's rich but people can still relate to him in many ways.

Money doesn't define a character, traits do.
Exactly. Making Lara poor makes her more normal but has no impact on relatability. People can pretty much relate to most things, that's why stories exist in the first place. When well written we can understand a character's reasonings and actions even when completely different from us and "relate" on some level.

Making Lara poor makes her more average / typical but not necessarily more relatable or likeable.

----
@Swiz19 - I think that would have been a better start from the one we got.

Having said that, I do feel the ship wreck one was a good idea too - albeit spoiled by how they had everyone be her best friend / admirer or father's best friend on the boat with her.

Last edited by Blackmoor; 17-09-19 at 15:52.
Blackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote