Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Arts and Entertainment

Old 17-06-19, 16:17   #1
Tonyrobinson

Default Hunger Games Prequel set for 2020 (New book and film)

Quote:
The Hunger Games franchise isn’t finished just yet. Over a decade after Suzanne Collins first published The Hunger Games, the first in a trilogy of massively popular dystopian sci-fi novels, the author is returning to the franchise for a prequel story. Scholastic announced today that Collins is writing an untitled Hunger Games prequel novel set in Panem 64 years before the events of the original trilogy. If you’ll recall, that trilogy’s story found hero Katniss surging in popularity on the televised deathmatch The Hunger Games, then subsequently leading an uprising against the fascist government.

Collins’ prequel novel is due to be published on May 19, 2020, but Joe Drake, Chairman of the Lionsgate Motion Picture group revealed today that the studio is already developing a film adaptation in tandem with Collins:

“As the proud home of the Hunger Games movies, we can hardly wait for Suzanne’s next book to be published. We’ve been communicating with her during the writing process and we look forward to continuing to work closely with her on the movie.”
You can read the full story at this link:

click!

I'm super excited I always wanted to see more of this franchise especially more stuff set during the games themselves and more exploration of early Panem, it's a franchise that I feel only scratched the surface of that world and I'd welcome more of it. It's following the story of Mags too apparently! Sign me the **** up!

Last edited by Tonyrobinson; 17-06-19 at 16:22.
Tonyrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-19, 16:27   #2
Legends

Excuse me what? I loved the Hunger Games books, so this is great news. I hope it makes sense, and isn't some cheap story.
Legends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-19, 16:30   #3
Tonyrobinson

I really hope it's good most prequels seem so subpar but if it's set in the arena and the timeline is correct it will line up with Mags winning the games. I think it's good because there isn't much elaboration on the established lore before what we see in the books so it's a good chance for expansion.

Suzanne Collins was quoted in the press release:

Quote:
With this book, I wanted to explore the state of nature, who we are, and what we perceive is required for our survival. The reconstruction period ten years after the war, commonly referred to as the Dark Days—as the country of Panem struggles back to its feet—provides fertile ground for characters to grapple with these questions and thereby define their views of humanity.

Last edited by Tonyrobinson; 17-06-19 at 16:33.
Old 17-06-19, 16:36   #4
Rai

Could be interesting. I enjoyed the original trilogy. So, this will be set when Panem is still fairly new to the Hunger Games concept?

I'm always a little suspicious of prequels though . Is Suzanne Collins' work just as popular as the HG was? I'm wondering how they make it different.
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-19, 16:43   #5
Tonyrobinson

I've just seen speculation online it's set during the tenth Hunger Games not the eleventh which featured Mags so it could be a new male lead character. Either way I'm excited to see what they do with this. I hope they set it during the games themselves they were always the most interesting part for me.

Last edited by Tonyrobinson; 17-06-19 at 16:57.
Old 17-06-19, 16:55   #6
kathrynnn

Didn't expect this at all, but I'm excited to see what they do.

I'm always a little sceptical about prequels, but like you said, they really only scratched the surface of the world, so I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with a new story.
kathrynnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-19, 16:58   #7
Legends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyrobinson View Post
I really hope it's good most prequels seem so subpar but if it's set in the arena and the timeline is correct it will line up with Mags winning the games. I think it's good because there isn't much elaboration on the established lore before what we see in the books so it's a good chance for expansion.

Suzanne Collins was quoted in the press release:
That could be really interesting. There's been a few years since I've read the books now, but I used to know all there was about these books, but I've actually forgotten a whole lot of it now. If they chose a year that doesn't have a ton of lore that would probably be good. It'll be interesting to see what this world is like during the early years.

Last edited by Legends; 17-06-19 at 17:02.
Legends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-19, 17:00   #8
Tombraider95

That's a nice surprise!

I did think a trilogy explaining the games and perspectives of Finnick/Joanna and Haymitch would have been interesting, a book each about winning their games.

But a prequel sounds good too. I wonder how the book/film will end, with the first hunger games about to start perhaps? It ends with them announcing it? Hmmmm
Tombraider95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-19, 16:13   #9
Tonyrobinson

More information:

The book is set on the morning of the tenth annual reaping.
Old 18-06-19, 21:09   #10
Rai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyrobinson View Post
More information:

The book is set on the morning of the tenth annual reaping.
So very similar to the first HG book? I assume this is just the beginning chapters then and will lead into the games as well. As I said, I'm very curious as to how this will be handled. I can't remember, is the 10th games mentioned in the originals as being particularly special? The book (and consequently the film) has to be handled in such a way that there is something fresh about it. It's going to be interesting if a new protagonist can match Katniss's popularity.
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote