www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Rise of the Tomb Raider

Old 09-08-19, 00:04   #28691
killchan
Explorer

Rise was the first game that made me realize that graphics don't mean **** when the wackiest PS1 stealth game is more balanced than a AAA 2015 release, that something isn't right when even DSP (one of the least capable videogamers on youtube) says "where's the challenge in this game exactly?", that when you have too many choices none of them matter if you're a ****ing tank, and that I hate snow in videogames.

playing Rise in my first run felt like playing 2013 on NG+... which don't get me wrong, it's nice to do, but not in your blind run XD

almost forgot, it was also the first pc game that made me say "what do you mean not enough VRAM?! " . I felt bad for me 970
Old 09-08-19, 05:44   #28692
lance6439
Legend

A lot of the new things in Shadow are nice but I think overall Rise is just better.

I reeeaaaally don't want to elaborate. But it just its glad a few others know where I'm coming from. Shadow is a good game, though.
Old 09-08-19, 09:23   #28693
Raider8
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance6439 View Post
A lot of the new things in Shadow are nice but I think overall Rise is just better.

I reeeaaaally don't want to elaborate. But it just its glad a few others know where I'm coming from. Shadow is a good game, though.
to point out a few, Rise had better textures n detail, diverse environments from syrian desert to cold snowy areas, every single shade of ice and glaciers (beautifully done) to village in a warm green valley, better story and feeling of great discoveries, and sticky grappling hook that doesn't betray you.

forgot to add: REPLAYABILITY of every level + nice dlcs

Last edited by Raider8; 09-08-19 at 09:24.
Raider8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-19, 11:25   #28694
Grizzly Bear
Archaeologist

I played both games at launch and honestly I had more bugs with Rise than with Shadow.

I think that the whole "Rise is so polished" comes from the fact that some of you played on Ps4 once all the patches were out. I myself played the game on ps4 later and it was flawless.

Imagine a person playing Shadow now for the first time, the game would feel as polished as Rise...
Grizzly Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-19, 12:23   #28695
OrangeJuice
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimaldi View Post
I canít deny Rise is a better product,
care to elaborate?
it's more polished yeah but what else does it have? the writing is abysmal and the locations are mostly uninteresting.
Old 09-08-19, 12:31   #28696
Raider8
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeJuice View Post
care to elaborate?
it's more polished yeah but what else does it have? the writing is abysmal and the locations are mostly uninteresting.
how can someone not like the locations in Rise. I admit tombs are way more and better in shadow but element of adventure is far better in rise. Tribal stuff ruins shadow for me. Maybe you're fine with that. Also chapter replay and dlc like cold darkness and endurance offer far more replayability.

Shadow is awesome too. If the Definitive edition gives croft manor and lifts outfit restriction, i might change my opinion.

Last edited by Raider8; 09-08-19 at 12:33.
Old 09-08-19, 12:34   #28697
OrangeJuice
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider8 View Post
how can someone not like the locations in Rise. I admit tombs are way more and better in shadow but element of adventure is far better in rise. Tribal stuff ruins shadow for me. Maybe you're fine with that. Also chapter replay and dlc like cold darkness and endurance offer far more replayability.
rise has that ugly soviet installation hub and the geothermal valley looks like a ue4 demo environment. kitezh and the cathedral/flooded archives (+ syria but that's hardly really a location) are the only interesting things about rise. i agree paititi drags shadow down tho, i don't like that place either.
Old 09-08-19, 13:05   #28698
Grimaldi
Professor

Quote:
care to elaborate?
I think itís better balanced without as much fat carried over from its predecessor. I donít like the crafting or expanded weapon upgrading it introduced, but thereís enough combat and respawnable enemies to use it on so itís supported by the game design, which applies to the skill system as well.

The hubs are stronger, or at least, I donít feel as compelled to run around in Shadowís again (however the tombs are a different story). The side modes and chapter replay are pretty big advantages, and the visual polish is superior. As a product, I do believe itís better.

With that said though, I agree with you, the story in Rise is much worse, the drab environments almost kill my motivation to explore them, the combat isnít at my preferred balance (with half-hearted stealth and psychic AI), and the tombs arenít quite where they should be. The soundtrack is the only one Iíd say is forgettable too, though the dynamic tomb theme and track for the Deathless are excellent.
Old 09-08-19, 13:09   #28699
Raider8
Historian

Quote:
rise has that ugly soviet installation hub and the geothermal valley looks like a ue4 demo environment. kitezh and the cathedral/flooded archives (+ syria but that's hardly really a location) are the only interesting things about rise. i agree paititi drags shadow down tho, i don't like that place either.
I like those hubs. they're good. people find Soviet installation boring but I don't, it's fun to play around and gather resources n collectibles. I don't have a problem with the valley even if it looks like an ue4 demo (hahaha)
Old 09-08-19, 13:18   #28700
biscuits
Professor

Shadow was so bad it made me view Rise in a whole new positive light. As a continuation of reboot Lara's story, it's one bad decision after another. But as it's own game, it's very well made and produced and fun. Rise is a blast to play, so many levels like the Flooded Archives or the Cathedral or the entirety of Kitezh are levels I always go back to. The challenge tombs feel like their own mini adventures, and the crypts drip with atmosphere. I'll even go as far saying that I enjoy the story and characters as stand alone entities.

Shadow was just offensively mediocre and bland. It's not even bad, it's just middling. In my eyes, it deserved to fly under the radar because of how average it is. Why should I give the game slack when soooooo much better stuff released alongside it (RDR2, SpiderMan, Detroit, GOW)?

TR13 beats both tho
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote