Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider The Last Revelation

Old 16-05-24, 03:17   #21
xtimz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombHackR View Post
Does the new sound file need to be the exact same length in time or just file size?
ADPCM is a pure PCM. It doesn't have any compression. The same time is equivalent to the same file size.
xtimz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-24, 14:06   #22
TombHackR
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtimz View Post
ADPCM is a pure PCM. It doesn't have any compression. The same time is equivalent to the same file size.
Yes of course, sorry. I forgot how ADPCM works, it's lower quality/file size than standard PCM .wav but there's no sort of run-length encoding or other compression techniques… thus same length, same file size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftieLuma View Post
I think i was clear in my explanation, but ill try to elaborate a decent tutorial once a arrive home so everything is better explained.
No worries! I just wanted clarification on:

1. Does inserting blank bytes into the "modded file" refer to the end of the .tr4 file or the end of the new .wav sample before injecting it into the .tr4 file

2. How to go about extracting samples with SoundJack

I understand the process from there on

Last edited by TombHackR; 16-05-24 at 14:07.
TombHackR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-24, 15:33   #23
SwiftieLuma

I see, well to answer your questions >

Quote:
1. Does inserting blank bytes into the "modded file" refer to the end of the .tr4 file or the end of the new .wav sample before injecting it into the .tr4 file
It refers to adding the extra bytes to your new wav file, the one you wanna use to replace the original, thats why i called it modded file lol

dont add extra stuff at the end of the actual .tr4 file thats not needed at all

Quote:
2. How to go about extracting samples with SoundJack
Use soundjack to open the level file, the .tr4 file

when you open it you will see that the bar in the window shows numbers of the samples starting with 1

you need to play each and listen to locate the original sound effect you want and once you do just save it as wav

when you save as wav using soundjack it basically extracts the file from the .tr4 in the correct WAV format that tomb raider 4 and 5 use.

You see, the wavs from TR4-5 have the Microsoft ADPCM encoding, not some other type, and soundjack extracts the wav from the .tr4 as it is, with this format.

Be sure that when you are replacing the sound effects, your new ones have this same encoding and sample rate, which usually is 22050 hz for TR4-5 and the same amount of bytes as the originals that you will know checking with the Hex editor during the process of replacing them.

Thats basically what it is.
SwiftieLuma is online now   Reply With Quote