www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 23-10-20, 12:57   #1
TwilightQueen
Hobbyist

Default [DATA] Health and damage for all actors

Introduction:

Hello everyone!

This is my first post on tombraiderforums.
What can I say? I've got some background in ROM hacking, mainly New Super Mario Bros for DS and especially Pokémon games from Generation 4 (and 5 to an extent).
As you can see I'm not slouch when it comes to data interpretation.

Today I want to show you the data behind the HP of all entities + Lara, as well as the damage they can inflict.
For those who seek to complete the NLNMAS challenge, knowing exactly how tough your obstacles are might make the difference between survival and death.

HP and damage chart:

NPC damage chart:

Hazards damage chart:

While I'm at it, I might as well give you all the times where Lara cannot avoid damage.
For the purpose of this chart, glitches that could allow Lara to avoid damage are disregarded.

Minimal mandatory damage chart:

Notes:

¹ The HP of all entities is doubled when playing the game in NG+, with the exception of Lara Croft whose HP stays as is.

² Lara’s HP is not adjusted to other entities, in other words just because Lara’s HP is numerically higher doesn’t necessarily mean she has more endurance than NPCs. If Lara’s health and damage done to her were measured with respect to the scale all other entities use, she would have 60 HP.

³ Despite not having a HP value assigned, Winston can still be killed with just one grenade, regardless of how much damage a grenade is set to inflict. In NG+ however, Winston is completely invulnerable within default settings, that being said if grenades are set to inflict 0 damage or less, Lara can kill him even in that mode. No matter which mode you are playing, killing Winston with a grenade will increase the kill count by 1.

⁴ Ignite and Dragon Breath damage virtually always happen with Burn damage (and by proxy Heat damage), but sometimes Lara is able to avoid being burned despite taking damage. Read that post for recorded proof.

⁵ Defunct entity, read this post for more detail.

⁶ Despite Eels being invulnerable during normal gameplay, they do have a HP value assigned (complete with that value being doubled in NG+). The fact that both kind of Eels also have a dying animation further cements the idea that they were originally supposed to be enemies rather than obstacles to avoid.

⁷ If Lara is on a snowmobile of her own, the snowmobile guns will inflict on her only 20% of the expected damage, or 10 HP.

⁸ Every instance the Dagger is not pulled out in time, the Dragon will restore 150 HP (in both normal mode and NG+).

⁹ Burn damage always happens in combination with Heat damage, for a total of 7 HP per frame of contact.

¹⁰ Water and Lava are not entities as per Tomb Raider definition, but they can still inflict damage.

I hope you enjoy reading this data as much as I had fun dissecting it.

Last edited by TwilightQueen; 15-11-20 at 01:20. Reason: slight correction about Dragon Bartoli's HP
TwilightQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-20, 13:08   #2
Topixtor
Historian

Interesting; once I saw a speedrunning document that stated enemies like crows, eagles and catfishes had slightly more hp in the later levels, I wonder if it was true or it's an hardcoded feature of the levels more than of the actors.

Also, I may be wrong but I never saw the eels death animations anywhere, could you record and post them?
Topixtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-20, 13:13   #3
ANoDE
Golden

Hi Twilight Queen!

Welcome to the forums. What a very informative and cool post
It's nice to have these values in an overview for once

The second chart might be a bit outdated though, as people have found ways to avoid some of the mandatory damages - like this for example:
Just search for "no scratch" and you should find a few posts.
Old 23-10-20, 13:54   #4
TwilightQueen
Hobbyist

First of all thanks for the welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topixtor View Post
Interesting; once I saw a speedrunning document that stated enemies like crows, eagles and catfishes had slightly more hp in the later levels, I wonder if it was true or it's an hardcoded feature of the levels more than of the actors.
I'm pretty sure that's a myth, since actors are tied to ID numbers. It would mean duplicating an existing ID number just so you can assign a new max HP value.
This was done only for IDs 16/17/18 (the sniper guys), IDs 32/33 (the blunt weapon guys), IDs 49/50 (the masked mercenaries), and finally IDs 53/54 (the monks). In spite of that, the duplicates all have the same HP as the originals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topixtor View Post
Also, I may be wrong but I never saw the eels death animations anywhere, could you record and post them?
I can do that (it's just a matter of setting the HP value to 0 in the savegame file).
If you can't wait you can also download TRviewer and check the animations by yourself. It should be worth your while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANoDE View Post
The second chart might be a bit outdated though, as people have found ways to avoid some of the mandatory damages - like this for example:
Just search for "no scratch" and you should find a few posts.
I have to say I was NOT aware about that cool trick.

Anyways I made this statement having the NLNMAS challenge in mind where you can't use glitches, for example I know that you can avoid the 5 HP damage in Catacombs of the Talion by using the Swan Dive glitch.

Hmm… I guess it's time for me to update the OP already haha.
TwilightQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-20, 19:43   #5
Topixtor
Historian

Also, I think it's pretty well known that the mercenary with uzi doesn't actually deal any damage to monks; the only mercenary that can actually kill them is the normal one, but only the one found in the Monastery level, the other variant exclusive to Tibetan Foothills doesn't even engage in fight with them (neither do the monks react to that presence); this is notable in The Cold War, after picking up the golden skull in the secret area only the two orange-dressed thugs will fight the monks, that was probably done to "force" Lara to take part in the fight as the white dressed one directly chases here

Last edited by Topixtor; 23-10-20 at 22:25.
Topixtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-20, 20:08   #6
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

Thanks for the health information

You have confirmed that fall into yellow lifeboat in 'the deck' level is the worst loss of health at 862 HP, no wonder you need full health before Lara drops into it.

I am sure some custom game makers can modify health values, as it took me ages the other day to kill a TR4 brown bear, it just would not lie down and die, then eventually it fell over
Old 24-10-20, 06:09   #7
Woops
Archaeologist

Two small questions, what’s the hard mode you’re mentioning (the closest thing I can think of is NG+?)
And, I’m not sure I understand note 2
Awesome list though, thank you for your work
Woops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-20, 11:26   #8
Heartache
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woops View Post
Two small questions, what’s the hard mode you’re mentioning (the closest thing I can think of is NG+?)
And, I’m not sure I understand note 2
Awesome list though, thank you for your work
yeah in NG+ every enemy has double HP

and note two is just a little side note mentioning while lara has 1000hp (which is a loooot) she receives soooo much more damage than the enemies that a more proper scale would be 60hp
Old 24-10-20, 11:58   #9
thewolf
Golden

That's a cool post. I have a question too

Can you do the same thing for TR1? I'm curious about the HP from the human enemies and how much damage they deal
thewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-20, 12:32   #10
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewolf View Post
That's a cool post. I have a question too

Can you do the same thing for TR1? I'm curious about the HP from the human enemies and how much damage they deal
This quote below is taken from an old TR1 thread

Quote:
TR1 Enemy - Health (Hit points)
Bat - 1
Bear - 20
Centaur - 120
Cowboy - 150
Crocodile - 20
Giant Mutant - 500
Gorilla - 22
Larson - 50 (Both times you meet him)
Lion (Female) - 25
Lion (Male) - 30
Mummy/Mutant (All variants) - 50
Natla - 600 (Feigns death when her health reaches 200 or below. Resets to 200 exactly when she wakes up)
Panther - 45
Pierre - 70 (He runs away when his health reaches 40 or below)
Raptor - 20
Rat - 5
Skateboarder - 125
T-Rex - 100
Tough Shotgun Guy - 200 (He's twice as strong as the T-Rex!)
Wolf - 6

Also if you play the game second playthrough, where you have all weapons, then the health value doubles on the enemies, making them harder to kill.