Student

'Blood is an organ'.
Enigma92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-18, 09:16   #172
HecticBartoli
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebsenuef View Post
The same thing happened to me back in the 90’s and I liked Britney Spears.
But I was also 7 at the time so... hahaha

I was watching some Public Freakout videos online bc I love seeing people lose their minds over ridiculous things. Some of my favorite bits are when someone is yelling and shouting with anger and frustration and someone tells them “hey, just calm down please” and they respond yelling “I AM CALM! YOU THE ONE THATS ANGRY! NOT ME!”

Or the ones where there’s two people in a verbal altercation and one person goes up to the other one and says “GET OUT OF MY FACE! WHY ARE YOU IN MY FACE? LEAVE ME ALONE!”
Dude... you walked up to them..
Reminds me of another thing, I watched Lizzie McGuire when I was 10, I’ve had the same people calling me gay, but that time was my cousins and I knew their secrets, and there was a time when there were out rap-battling each other, I told them “I’m gonna play Abe’s Oddysee” they said “Okay, that’s cool” I went to their bedroom, I saw a 5ive cassette album, I played the first song on that album “5 dudes who they’re the opposite colour. that’s what I hate!”

I got the tape out stood on it, walked on it. Long story short, 40 minutes later they came into one of their rooms, they got mad. It was hilarious, I walked home after I stood on it.
HecticBartoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-18, 11:39   #173
Yeauxleaux
Relic Hunter

People guessed I was a dormant-gay as a child because of my obsession with Britney Spears and Mariah Carey too haha

I was definitely one of those kids you look at and think "you're gay, you just don't know it yet". I'm not even mad at that, you see a little boy acting very feminine it's a natural assumption to make. Most little boys don't like Britney Spears or girly things.
Old 11-03-18, 23:12   #174
Mickybyrne20
Professor

I remember being very feminine as a kid, and I didn't even fully understand the term. It actually affected me a lot from all the prejudice comments I'd receive. Being gay and ginger is like having a ****ing disability

The general political view has shifted so much in the last half a decade. I wonder if being gay is still an issue for young folk?

What's that SJW term... Internalised homophobia? Yeah, I'm pretty sure I had that. This forum has actually really helped me dissociate from the negative emotions of being LGBT because of the wide political view points present.

Last edited by Mickybyrne20; 11-03-18 at 23:15.
Mickybyrne20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-18, 00:51   #175
Yeauxleaux
Relic Hunter

^Ugh I cringe at "Internalised [insert oppression here]"

There's genuine cases of self-hate for all kinds of people, but those terms get flung around too liberally at anyone who has a difference of opinion. I've been accused of having "internalised homophobia" because I think "heteronormativity" is reasonable and somewhat justified given demographic statistics, and because I don't like how raunch pride parades are in public.

But when it comes down to it, I'm very pro-gay marriage and anti-discrimination against gays. I'm also not a spineless un-principled ****. I don't blow up at the slightest "microaggression" from white Christians, and then ignore outright violence against gays in Islam and other cultures. So these people can miss me with the "internalised homophobia" accusations. That's just one of many trendy buzzwords people throw at opponents whose opinions are to the Right of Che Guevara.

As a teenager I did struggle with being gay quite a bit. It wasn't because of my surroundings though. It was because, honestly, I just looked at other kids and wanted what they had; normality. I wanted a big dating pool I could experiment with, I wanted to be able to grow up and have a family like everyone else. I think those concerns are pretty normal though. You can call it "internalised homophobia", I think of it more as living in reality as someone in a very small minority offline. Politically incorrect truth, there are drawbacks to being gay that will always be there however tolerant society gets. There are also positives though, we don't have to worry about making babies by accident or committing to parenthood, silver lining. We're also sassy as **** and make the world a prettier place.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 13-03-18 at 01:05.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-18, 01:11   #176
AntRaidsTombs
Relic Hunter

I would sit with my best friend at her job at The Hilton, and she would have to ask any pets traveling with you. People would say does my wife, husband, or kids count and laugh. That joke used to get so annoying
Old 13-03-18, 01:22   #177
Mickybyrne20
Professor

@yeauxleaux I get what you mean. The internalised homophobia thing pissed me off too when SJW's use it as a tactic against anti-SJW LGBT members like us to somehow invalidate our opinions, or often "facts" #triggered

That being said I think I was homophobic, and still can be from time to time. Seeing feminine gays on tinder, which is the majority of gay men turns me off instantly. It's actually a problem for me. I feel like a hypocrite, because I was called girly or gay all throughout primary and secondary school.

I'm getting better at accepting who I am, and I'm much more relaxed with my 'type'. Sometimes I feel as if I'm not being my true self, and by that I mean as expressive and flamboyant just because I detest that in other gay men. Maybe I'm just too harsh on myself, and it's just a preference, but I feel as if it's a problem that stemmed from being name called as a child.

What're your thoughts on the matter? Do you think I'm slightly homophobic?

Last edited by Mickybyrne20; 13-03-18 at 01:23.
Mickybyrne20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-18, 01:34   #178
Yeauxleaux
Relic Hunter

My opinions on that are nuanced.

Preferences are preferences, I only think it becomes problematic (to use their word) when you're rude about it and openly advertise it when nobody asked.

I do quietly have my own preferences, and I think everyone has them whether they admit them or not. I'm not going to sit up on Grindr being an asshole in my profile bio and putting people down though, that's when it becomes "internalised homophobia" or "racism" or whatever else.

For example, I prefer to stick to "my own" in the sense that I like Southern European men (and by extension, Latin American men) not exclusively but typically. However, you will never see me acting all narcissistic up on some dating site, talking about some "No British men. No blacks. No Asians" or making some crass racist jokes. Because, for what? There's no need for that. Date who you want to date and keep it moving.

There's nothing wrong with having a "type" though, and I also think there's no such thing as an "invalid" reason to not be attracted to someone. You date who you want to date, don't let people guilt you into thinking "well I should like this...". No, that's entitlement.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 13-03-18 at 01:39.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-18, 12:40   #179
DragonSlayer
Professor

Residents warned over balonies

That was the headline on a news item about people in Dublin being warned that their balconies were unsafe for use because the balconies made of timber are in some cases showing signs of deterioration.

Making balconies out of timber is a bad idea at times it can rain constantly here in Ireland sometimes for several days in a row.
DragonSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-18, 16:19   #180
ggctuk
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonSlayer View Post
Residents warned over balonies

That was the headline on a news item about people in Dublin being warned that their balconies were unsafe for use because the balconies made of timber are in some cases showing signs of deterioration.

Making balconies out of timber is a bad idea at times it can rain constantly here in Ireland sometimes for several days in a row.
Please tell me that's actually what was written