www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Software Development

Old 28-04-14, 17:29   #531
Dustie
Relic Hunter

I'm also getting the pthreadgc2.dll error. What is this library for? I searched for it and I read it has something to do with Open Source Software... in which case shouldn't it be included in the package somehow? I have 2 other previous versions of the engine and they didn't ask for the file, neither was it provided with them.

EDIT:
Nevermind, I found the file in the new package. I get the same error as Aden, though.

Last edited by Dustie; 28-04-14 at 18:04.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-14, 22:16   #532
Lwmte
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdenClements View Post
It's definitely not my hardware, my PC is built for editing HD footage
Oh, nice to see a colleague here - although now I'm unemployed!

Quote:
As I have previously stated I booted up a different version of the engine, however this wouldn't let me take control of Lara, I could only fly around as a camera in the levels.
It means that freelook parameter was active; I can't understand how it relates to ability to run the binary... Suddenly it came to me: do you have AMD CPU? I'm compiling with Core2Duo optimizations, and TeslaRus had some problems with Bullet physics when compiled with some CPU optimizations... So possibly CPU is the case. Same question to Dustie - do you have AMD processor?

Quote:
Could you perhaps detail the setup process of running this engine please?
Ok, anyway, the whole process of getting OpenTomb up and running was never described here, so I'm taking a chance:
  1. Get latest OpenTomb binaries and scripts from SourceForge.
  2. Update engine.exe and config.lua from this archive (basically, this engine.exe is my recent build - you can always tell my builds by custom OpenTomb "oT" icon. Main releases, which are uploaded by TeslaRus, still contain "TRE" letters as icon).
  3. Then, get all TR1-5 data files collected in /data folder. Folder structure should be like this:
    /data/tr1/data/ - for TR1 levels,
    /data/tr2/data/ - for TR2 levels, and so on.
    So, basically, just copy anything from corresponding TR /data folder into OpenTomb's /data/tr*/data/ folder (for TR2/3 - including MAIN.SFX file, or else there won't be any sound in game).
  4. Copy all game soundtracks into the same /data folder. Soundtracks should be in Ogg Vorbis format. You can easily get them all here (along with soundtrack.lua script). Just extract this archive directly into OpenTomb folder, if Windows asks you that folder already exists - say yes. After this, you should have /data/tr*/audio/ folders with soundtracks, as well as soundtrack.lua script in /scripts folder.
  5. Make sure you have specified font file in the game directory. By default, font is "veramono.ttf", but this can be changed in config.lua.
  6. Make sure you have pthreadGC2.dll and SDL2.dll files in OpenTomb directory (usually they're bundled with engine archive, so most likely you already have them).

So that's it. I can't think of anything else to be done to run it properly.
Sorry for this complicated set-up - consider that OpenTomb is still in pre-alpha stage. When it gets more stable and feature-rich, I think we should come up with some kind of installer which will do all this automatically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
I'm also getting the pthreadgc2.dll error. What is this library for? I searched for it and I read it has something to do with Open Source Software..
It is needed for multi-threaded computing; TeslaRus added it to move audio engine to separate thread (ironically, current soundtrack feature is NOT running in separate thread, that's why you can get lags before playing music! )

Last edited by Lwmte; 28-04-14 at 22:19.
Lwmte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-14, 00:26   #533
Joey79100
Professor

Just a little help with the animations, even if the most part is useless and only informative. But I thought if could help, if you need it.
(I was reading the anim_state_control.h file)

Code:
#define TR_ANIMATION_LARA_TURN_RIGHT_SLOW 12                  // Used once before the fast one if all weapon are in holsters
#define TR_ANIMATION_LARA_TURN_LEFT_SLOW 13                   // Used once before the fast one if all weapon are in holsters

#define TR_ANIMATION_LARA_LANDING_FORWARD_BOTH 14               // Original landing animation in the TR1 betas... But removed
#define TR_ANIMATION_LARA_LANDING_FORWARD_BOTH_CONTINUE 15      // Original landing animation in the TR1 betas... But removed

// #define TR_ANIMATION_LARA_UNKNOWN1 37                    // Was meant to play when Lara is hanging at a ledge and the player releases the Action key

#define TR_ANIMATION_LARA_UNKNOWN2 43                       // Was meant to be used like the 52 but finally it got removed

#define TR_ANIMATION_LARA_UNKNOWN3 45                       // Used after the forward jump if she keeps falling
#define TR_ANIMATION_LARA_ROLL_ALTERNATE 47                 // Unused
#define TR_ANIMATION_LARA_ROLL_END_ALTERNATE 48             // Unused

// #define TR_ANIMATION_LARA_CLIMB_2CLICK_END_RUNNING 52    // Used if the player keeps pressing the UP cursor key

#define TR_ANIMATION_LARA_TRY_HANG_VERTICAL_BEGIN 91        // Not a bug, used normally if the player keeps only the jump key =p

#define TR_ANIMATION_LARA_FALL_CROUCHING_LANDING 99               // Unused

#define TR_ANIMATION_LARA_FREE_FALL_TO_SIDE_LANDING_ALTERNATE 101 // Maybe it was used at the beginning of a forward jump when the player presses Action? Maybe it was used like this with the original beta anim 73

#define TR_ANIMATION_LARA_ONWATER_DIVE_ALTERNATE 113              // This one is not used
#define TR_ANIMATION_LARA_FREE_FALL_TO_UNDERWATER_ALTERNATE 119   // This one is used

// #define TR_ANIMATION_LARA_UNKNOWN6 227                   // The end of the beta Sprint-slide-stand (look at the beta sprint animations)
// #define TR_ANIMATION_LARA_UNKNOWN7 229                   // The same...
#define TR_ANIMATION_LARA_SPRINT_TO_ROLL_LEFT2 231          // Not used natively (used with the beta sprint animations)
#define TR_ANIMATION_LARA_SPRINT_TO_ROLL_ALTERNATE_BEGIN 240     // Not used natively (idem)
#define TR_ANIMATION_LARA_SPRINT_TO_ROLL_ALTERNATE_CONTINUE 241  // Not used natively (idem)
#define TR_ANIMATION_LARA_SPRINT_TO_ROLL_ALTERNATE_END 242       // Not used natively (idem)

#define TR_ANIMATION_LARA_ROPE_IDLE 374				// Review all rope animations!
#define TR_ANIMATION_LARA_ROPE_DOWN_BEGIN 375
#define TR_ANIMATION_LARA_ROPE_UP 376
#define TR_ANIMATION_LARA_ROPE_IDLE_TO_SWING_SOFT 377                  // Unused
#define TR_ANIMATION_LARA_ROPE_GRAB_TO_FALL 378                        // Unused
#define TR_ANIMATION_LARA_ROPE_JUMP_TO_GRAB 379
#define TR_ANIMATION_LARA_ROPE_IDLE_TO_BACKFLIP 380                    // Unused
#define TR_ANIMATION_LARA_ROPE_SWING_TO_FALL_SEMIFRONT 381             // Unused
#define TR_ANIMATION_LARA_ROPE_SWING_TO_FALL_MIDDLE 382                // Unused
#define TR_ANIMATION_LARA_ROPE_SWING_TO_FALL_BACK 383                  // Unused

#define TR_ANIMATION_LARA_ROPE_IDLE_TO_SWING_SEMIMIDDLE 388            // Unused
#define TR_ANIMATION_LARA_ROPE_IDLE_TO_SWING_HALFMIDDLE 389            // Unused
#define TR_ANIMATION_LARA_ROPE_SWING_TO_FALL_FRONT 390                 // Unused
#define TR_ANIMATION_LARA_ROPE_GRAB_TO_FALL_ALTERNATE 391              // Unused

#define TR_ANIMATION_LARA_ROPE_SWING_FORWARD_SEMIHARD 394              // The only one used!
#define TR_ANIMATION_LARA_ROPE_LADDER_TO_HANDS_DOWN_ALTERNATE 395      // Unused, make it work? (used in the TR4 demo if I'm right?) (then you will need to remove all the StateID changes related to the rope animations)
#define TR_ANIMATION_LARA_ROPE_SWING_BACK_CONTINUE 396                 // Unused
#define TR_ANIMATION_LARA_ROPE_SWING_BACK_END 397                      // Unused
#define TR_ANIMATION_LARA_ROPE_SWING_BACK_BEGIN 398                    // Unused
#define TR_ANIMATION_LARA_ROPE_SWING_FORWARD_SOFT 399                  // Unused

#define TR_ANIMATION_LARA_ROPE_SWING_FORWARD_HARD 404                   // Not found.. Uhh, unused
#define TR_ANIMATION_LARA_ROPE_CHANGE_ROPE 405 				// Unused
#define TR_ANIMATION_LARA_ROPE_SWING_TO_TRY_HANG_FRONT2 406             // Not sure it's used?
#define TR_ANIMATION_LARA_ROPE_SWING_TO_TRY_HANG_MIDDLE 407             // Not sure it's used?
#define TR_ANIMATION_LARA_ROPE_SWING_BLOCK 408		                // Unused
#define TR_ANIMATION_LARA_ROPE_SWING_TO_TRY_HANG_SEMIMIDDLE 409		// Not sure it's used?
#define TR_ANIMATION_LARA_ROPE_SWING_TO_TRY_HANG_FRONT3 410		// Not sure it's used?

#define TR_ANIMATION_LARA_CORRECT_POSITION_FRONT 433           // Unused
#define TR_ANIMATION_LARA_CORRECT_POSITION_LEFT 434            // Unused
#define TR_ANIMATION_LARA_CORRECT_POSITION_RIGHT 435           // Unused

Last edited by Joey79100; 29-04-14 at 00:29.
Joey79100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-14, 08:38   #534
Lwmte
Explorer

Thank you, Joey, great job! You've made certain things clear. I never was able to understand the system behind all these rope animations, so actually most of them are simply unused? What a mess!

As for your comment regarding state changes... Well, currently OpenTomb doesn't use any state changes to refer current animation, it directly plays with animation numbers. It's much more complicated, but it allows to ignore certain wrong state changes. Anyway, I'm planning to rewrite state control module to work with state IDs instead of anim IDs (like it is done in actual TR engines), but then we will need some kind of override script which will change certain animation state IDs to ones that we need. I think, this is the best way.
Old 29-04-14, 10:52   #535
Dustie
Relic Hunter

YES i'm on AMD! Athlon Dual Core. It does seem like something to do with the hardware, on the lower-level, so to speak... I remember being able to run the engine a while ago, back when it had this plain lighting-shadow system, with no shading only darker areas? After that I kept getting BSOD... now it's only the 'has stopped working' message, and it pops up right after the program window is drawn on the screen.

I haven't gotten around compiling it myself, could it make a difference?
Old 29-04-14, 15:18   #536
AdenClements
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwmte View Post
Oh, nice to see a colleague here - although now I'm unemployed!

It means that freelook parameter was active; I can't understand how it relates to ability to run the binary... Suddenly it came to me: do you have AMD CPU? I'm compiling with Core2Duo optimizations, and TeslaRus had some problems with Bullet physics when compiled with some CPU optimizations... So possibly CPU is the case. Same question to Dustie - do you have AMD processor?

Ok, anyway, the whole process of getting OpenTomb up and running was never described here, so I'm taking a chance:

So that's it. I can't think of anything else to be done to run it properly.
Sorry for this complicated set-up - consider that OpenTomb is still in pre-alpha stage. When it gets more stable and feature-rich, I think we should come up with some kind of installer which will do all this automatically.
Hi5! Hehe

Yes! I'm on an AMD processor! That might be it, I'll look into those instructions, thank you! I like to follow instructions as then I know whether it's me who's done something wrong, hehe!

Edit: I've followed the instructions and yes, it's not working, it must be my processor then, any way around this?

Last edited by AdenClements; 29-04-14 at 15:30.
AdenClements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-14, 19:18   #537
Lwmte
Explorer

Well, at least we've pinned it down. If it doesn't work even with my latest recompiled version, I can't think of anything to do. I have questioned TeslaRus, let's wait for his answer!
Old 30-04-14, 10:58   #538
Dustie
Relic Hunter

If I compile it myself, can I change any options that could make a difference? You wrote about compiling with Intel optimizations...
Old 01-05-14, 02:21   #539
vobject
Hobbyist

Reading through the comments of users trying to compile and run recent versions of the engine, I can feel their pain and frustration

Compiling from source is a complicated task if you are not a developer. And waiting for a new engine.7z release on sourceforge isn't that great either.
Lwmte is right saying that the engine is still in pre-alpha state and not really usable yet. But the engine made such great progress in the past, and I think many users are interested in checking out the latest features.

I myself don't have much code or features to contribute but I am interested in making life easier for developers and users. That's why I am suggesting OpenTomb to slowly adapt an easier process for test-releases.

It would be cool if every time the repo on SF gets updated, an online service is triggered that builds the new code and provides a download link to the executable. The current "official" way of releasing engine.7z can stay as it is.

What do you think? Could this be a goal worth pursuing (even in this early stage)? I have some experience with services like travis-ci.org and drone.io (with github/bitbucket). I could look into how well Sourceforge is supported.

PS:
I made some successful experiments to cross-compile OpenTomb. If you want to try it out: here is the Windows executable for the latest commit compiled on Ubuntu 12.04. Cross-compiling allows you to build Windows executables on Linux. Why cross-compilation? Because most online build-services run Linux.
vobject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-14, 09:32   #540
Dustie
Relic Hunter

^ I tried running your compiled version and nothing happens... the program just sits in the memory as it's visible in Program Manager, but nothing happens, no window, no nothing.

I might try and compile it myself at last to see if it makes a difference - once I get some time on my hands, in case it drives me insane