www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > The Last Revelation

Old 23-08-19, 04:31   #1
GabrielCroft
Archaeologist

Default Did Core Design really tried to kill Lara Croft?

Hey, so I was playing TR4 again and I was asking myself...
Did Core Design really tried to kill Lara Croft, for real?
Or were they planning TR5 already? (Von Croy finding her backpack in the ending) and also TRAOD? Do you guys know anything about this?
Old 23-08-19, 05:29   #2
jhons0529
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabrielCroft View Post
Hey, so I was playing TR4 again and I was asking myself...
Did Core Design really tried to kill Lara Croft, for real?
Not really.
They knew from the beginning they couldn't.
If they did it they knew they would get in trouble, and it wasn't even really allowed anyway.

They had no room to actually do something like that from what I recall in an interview. At best they wanted to halt any sequels and take a break.

But they knew very well she was not something they could eliminate, especially since I believe they stated they were going to have her get beheaded, but knew it wasn't allowed so they knew the future always had to exist going forward. So I don't think anyone "really" tried to kill her at least even if they really wanted it.

TR5 wasn't planned to my knowledge but AOD was in some capacity?

There's an interview that specifically talks about this
Old 23-08-19, 06:07   #3
Boobandie
Professor

They tried to temporarily kill her off so they could take a break from yearly releases, and start work on Next Generation Tomb Raider. But Eidos forced Chronicles to fill the gap anyway, which would have kept the yearly release had AOD been finished by it's original 2001 deadline.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-19, 07:56   #4
UroshUchiha
Student

From what I remember reading way back when they planned to take a break from TR just long enough until they could finish the next gen game (AOD). That's why we got that unreleased cutscene where we see Lara actually survived the fall and ended up in a local tribe who helped her recover her health. The shaman related one. There was also talks about an amulet being a big part of AOD that Lara upgraded through the story of AOD which made her stronger and stronger. You can also read the comment written by ClawWing on this video that explains a lot, but I'm still not sure if that's fanfiction or actually what they had in mind. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lvY9Fb9jZk
UroshUchiha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-19, 16:16   #5
GabrielCroft
Archaeologist

Just as I thought... Why they would kill an amazing, successful character like Lara, right?

This shaman scene is incredible. I read a story that Lara was rescued by Putai and the tribe after she got out of the pyramid and walked, weak, through the desert. Is that really canon? Don't know where people got this info.
Old 23-08-19, 17:29   #6
Samz
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabrielCroft View Post
Just as I thought... Why they would kill an amazing, successful character like Lara, right?

This shaman scene is incredible. I read a story that Lara was rescued by Putai and the tribe after she got out of the pyramid and walked, weak, through the desert. Is that really canon? Don't know where people got this info.
Because they were sick of having to make a new game right after the other one next year.
Old 24-08-19, 00:39   #7
TombRaiderTim
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
Because they were sick of having to make a new game right after the other one next year.
More so Core Design members had the common sense to know that they'd have needed a realistic time space to create a next generation game with the same quality and design that they delivered from the previous titles in the series yet the need for Chronicles a year later after The Last Revelation is what destroyed Angel of Darkness and left it such a bug filled mess.

I'd dare say that Angel of Darkness, without Chronicles being made would have been a very successful game and as enjoyable as the previous games made because the team showed their love for the franchise through carefully structured gameplay and environment but due to limited time it ultimately failed and ended up almost destroying the franchise.

It's guaranteed that most if not all Core Design members have a negative opinion when it comes to talking about Chronicles because of the stress it caused and how it somehow made the engine used on The Last Revelation look a lot worse on Chronicles when previously, each game release had major improvements over quality, arsenals, and gameplay while Chronicles was basically a copy and paste job of The Last Revelation engine.

The gap jump to next generation Angel of Darkness would have been perfect while keeping the pattern of improvement, if not for what had happened.
Old 24-08-19, 02:24   #8
Kapu
Professor

Oh, the intention was definitely to kill Lara.

From Eurogamer's TR/Core Design retrospective:
Quote:
Tired of Tomb Raider, Andy Sandham tried to kill Lara Croft.

At the end of Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation, Lara travels to Giza. There, she climbs the Great Pyramid before finding herself in the Temple of Horus. After an exhausting encounter with Horus himself, Lara makes her way out. But we see her fall from a ledge as the temple collapses around her. Lara, it seems, is dead.

"We knew we wouldn't get away with it, but it was a moment of catharsis," Sandham, who wrote the game's script, says.

"We just said, look, let's just kill her. Somebody went, well, how are we going to get away with that? We were like, let's just do it and see what happens. So we did it.

"I can remember the loud ****! coming out of Jeremey's office when he saw the FMV."

Jeremy Heath-Smith, as you'd imagine, wasn't best pleased.

"He dragged us all in his office and said, what the **** have you done? We were like, well, we were getting really sick of her. He said, well, you need to fix it. So obviously with Tomb Raider 5, even though she got an entire pyramid on top of her, she somehow managed to crawl out from underneath it."

Sandham had thought about decapitating Lara at the end of The Last Revelation, but he bottled it "because we knew Jeremy would probably decapitate us".
The article is long but totally worth the read, tons of interesting information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombRaiderTim View Post
I'd dare say that Angel of Darkness, without Chronicles being made would have been a very successful game and as enjoyable as the previous games made...
I agree, if the veteran members had worked on AOD from the get-go instead of working on Chronicles (at Eidos' insistence), AOD would have fared a lot better.

Quote:
It's guaranteed that most if not all Core Design members have a negative opinion when it comes to talking about Chronicles because of the stress it caused and how it somehow made the engine used on The Last Revelation look a lot worse on Chronicles when previously, each game release had major improvements over quality, arsenals, and gameplay while Chronicles was basically a copy and paste job of The Last Revelation engine.
The team who worked on Chronicles say as much in that article. Chronicles was a rehash of old crap and was made only for the paycheck, not because they sought to make a good TR game. Although I wouldn't say the engine looked worse, just that the environments were pretty mediocre. The game still behaved and functioned like every other TR, which I would think of as relating to the engine.

Last edited by Kapu; 24-08-19 at 14:37.
Kapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-19, 18:58   #9
LaraCablara
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapu View Post
Oh, the intention was definitely to kill Lara.

From Eurogamer's TR/Core Design retrospective:

The article is long but totally worth the read, tons of interesting information.

I agree, if the veteran members had worked on AOD from the get-go instead of working on Chronicles (at Eidos' insistence), AOD would have fared a lot better.

The team who worked on Chronicles say as much in that article. Chronicles was a rehash of old crap and was made only for the paycheck, not because they sought to make a good TR game. Although I wouldn't say the engine looked worse, just that the environments were pretty mediocre. The game still behaved and functioned like every other TR, which I would think of as relating to the engine.
What nobody would dare ever consider is that the veteran members wanted the royalties of making another Tomb Raider (since they typically sold well) to go to them rather than new members of the team.

Letís be real, both Core and Eidos got greedy.
LaraCablara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-19, 19:53   #10
Amunet
Archaeologist

Every time I think about Core being sick of Lara and killing her but not getting away with it, it reminds me of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and how he too grew weary of his creation and killed Sherlock Holmes in "The Final Problem", only to have such a great public outcry that he was forced to resurrect him.

Last edited by Amunet; 24-08-19 at 19:55.
Amunet is offline   Reply With Quote