www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 22-07-19, 19:20   #1
Robwood
Professor

Default Out of bounds in St. John: how I did it.

I've known how to do this since September, thanks to Shauni0, so I knew how to do several things while back there: making Lara invisible, reaching various scaffolding about the area, seeing what the area behind the gate the two men are working on looks like, and even exploring the outside border of the village. However, my latest venture is all thanks to LateRaider, who showed me how to get onto the rooftops of the marketplace, something I've been trying to do for 10 months now. Here's his video:

I've taken multiple pictures and even came across an issue that, if left unresolved, will be a game-breaking bug. But I'm not here to talk about that. I'm here to say how I was able to accomplish this feat so that others can follow in my footsteps.

In the video above, LateRaider makes a jump from the llama stable to the...church, I guess it is (so many of these buildings have crosses on them that it's hard to tell if every building with one is a church or not). After that jump, you'll notice that there's a Virgin Mary statue. Here's what I did: I made my way over to that statue, jumped up to the side of it (see image below), and then jumped in front of the statue to reach the side of the building. There's a ledge that Lara will land on that will allow you to traverse the side of the building.

When you reach the end of the ledge, you'll need to jump around the corner. Lara will land on some ground, but much of everything around her from there won't be rendered. You can walk around on the small patch of ground until it all is (you may even be required to do so; I'm unsure). After the area loads, you'll see a nice rock path has formed. You'll be able to walk along it. When you reach the end, you'll see another rock that you can jump to. This rock is tricky. You can jump to the first little bit of it, but the middle portion is passive. However, that rock isn't stable. If you land on the edge and stay there for more than half a second, the rock will disappear and you'll fall into Blue Hell. When you jump to the next rock, therefore, you must immediately jump forward over the passive part before your ground disappears. Keep yourself against the left-hand wall for best results.

Once you make that jump, the rock will become steady, so you won't have to worry about falling through after that. Just make your way up the rock from there and continue to explore! When you reach the top of the rock wall...

...you'll notice a pillar to your left. Jumping on this pillar will make the roof appear. This roof is above the first combat zone after meeting Amaru in the church. If you walk to the end of the roof, you'll see some scaffolding that leads into the church where Lara confronts Amaru. This jump may or may not be possible--near as I can tell, there's no invisible wall to prevent Lara from landing on the scaffolding, but I've only tried the jump once and I failed. (Maybe you have to run and then jump at the last second; I don't know). I'm warning you now, though, that if you fail that jump, then you'll land in the combat zone. Everything will proceed great from there, and you'll go through the motions of reaching the mudslide again, however you won't be able to complete the mudslide portion of the game again and you'll be stuck in that part of the game unless you're fortunate enough to be able to access an earlier save file from before you landed in the combat zone.

Happy exploration, everyone! I'm off to try this again with a different save file and see if I can find anything new or maybe stick that landing this time.

EDIT TO ADD: If you wind up in the first combat zone, you can reload your last checkpoint without fear of being stuck.

Last edited by Robwood; 22-07-19 at 21:02.
Robwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-19, 20:27   #2
Vaskito
Relic Hunter

Just tried this. This is exciting!

Though, I fell into an endless fall and kept seeing San Juan getting farther and farther away in the sky xD
Old 22-07-19, 20:34   #3
Robwood
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaskito View Post
Just tried this. This is exciting!

Though, I fell into an endless fall and kept seeing San Juan getting farther and farther away in the sky xD
Maneuvering out of bounds takes some practice, but with enough time, you'll get it.
Old 22-07-19, 20:46   #4
LateRaider
Archaeologist

one thing i want to stress is that unlike rottr (i think), the canopies of sottr's san juan are not solid. lara will fall thru and back into bounds if you try to go on them
Old 22-07-19, 21:12   #5
Cat Woman
Explorer

Wow - great exploring. I tend to just get through the game, so this gives us a different perspective. Thanks.
Old 22-07-19, 21:38   #6
Robwood
Professor

AAAAAAAAA! I'm in the church right now! I was extremely lucky and managed to jump around that one corner without falling down, so I wound up landing on the small roof. From there, I jumped through a crack in the wall and emerged in the back of the scaffolding part of the first combat area. (In other words, I approached the scaffolding from behind instead of from the front.) I'm taking pictures like crazy right now; definitely something to be added to the Photo Mode thread later on!

Last edited by Robwood; 24-07-19 at 01:50.
Robwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-19, 22:48   #7
Robwood
Professor

I've discovered a way to reach the church, regardless of your approach. As I said before, if you're lucky enough to land on that small roof, you can just jump across to reach the entrance. If you're not so fortunate, then when you reach this roof...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robwood View Post
When you reach the top of the rock wall...

...you'll notice a pillar to your left. Jumping on this pillar will make the roof appear. This roof is above the first combat zone after meeting Amaru in the church. If you walk to the end of the roof, you'll see some scaffolding that leads into the church where Lara confronts Amaru. This jump may or may not be possible--near as I can tell, there's no invisible wall to prevent Lara from landing on the scaffolding, but I've only tried the jump once and I failed. (Maybe you have to run and then jump at the last second; I don't know).
...I can confirm that you won't be able to make that jump. So, if you want to get to the church anyway, all you have to do is jump onto the white wall on the left and then over to the scaffolding. The wall doesn't look like much, but it's large enough for you to safely land on.

Old 24-07-19, 01:36   #8
LateRaider
Archaeologist

robwood, the out of bounds icon! i look forward to your discoveries
Old 24-07-19, 01:50   #9
Robwood
Professor

I can't take all the credit; I owe Shauni0 for showing me how to get out of bounds in the first place and you for pointing me in this direction. It's just a shame that I can't get out of bounds anywhere else (not for lack of trying).
Old 13-09-19, 01:34   #10
Robwood
Professor

I've just had a major breakthrough! I went out of bounds and made my way to the Amaru church. Instead of entering the building, however, I cavorted about the rooftops. Due to this route, I was able to skirt around the first two combat zones and drop down into the cane field.

Normally, when passing through the combat zones while out of bounds in St. John, the cane field has the first set of Trinity soldiers you need to fight (the first two zones are devoid of spawned enemies). You then proceed to the top of the hill to the final fight before the mudslide. After triggering the cut scene, your game file is then corrupted due to being unable to finish the mudslide chase scene (unless you do this during story mode). Well, that's not what happened this time!

When I went from rooftop to rooftop and dropped down into the cane field, no enemies spawned at all. On top of that, when I went to the helicopter area, the cut scene didn't trigger! Due to that, I was able to explore the area! Rest assured, I took a lot of photos! Unfortunately, due to the time of day it is where I am right now, I don't have the time to post them today. I'll provide a link to the Photo Mode thread where I will upload the pictures some time tomorrow night, my time. I can't wait to share them!