Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 19-03-20, 00:19   #1
mizuno_suisei

Question TR1 scripting

Does anyone happen to have any information about how TR1 scripts its levels? In comparison to TR23's tombpc.dat and TR45's script.dat

Those two external files have an offset flag which can enable "All Level Selection" in the main menu - something that could be really handy for a modder like me. Could something like this exist in the exe?
mizuno_suisei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-20, 23:23   #2
b122251

Quite simple. The flow of the game is hardcoded on TR1. In all versions. Inside the game executable exists a function that determines what level is loaded based on a pre-programmed order. I don't know whether the DOS-version of TR1 has anything like a "Select Any Level"-flag, I'd need to check that. The PS1 version of course has it, and it is set when the game is completed. I suggest just looking at the executable in something like IDA.

That being said, if you just want to change the order the levels are played in, you could just rename the level files. (It's inelegant, but it works).

Last edited by b122251; 21-03-20 at 23:24.
b122251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-20, 23:37   #3
mizuno_suisei

Thanks for the response! Your suggestion at the end there is exactly what I've been doing (just renaming all modded things to LEVEL1.phd as I go for quick testing) but I was looking to bypass that "inelegent" methodry. Nice choice of word hah!

If you do ever stumble across how this works - I hope you remember this thread.

Your mention of the PS1 version having this flag..just remember this doesnt happen in the NEW GAME menu, only if you complete the game and then load a savegame - you're able to select any of any that way. Couldnt be sure if that's a similar setup to the select any level flag in the later games.
mizuno_suisei is offline   Reply With Quote