www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions

Old 09-08-19, 13:13   #1
_Seth
Explorer

Arrow GreedFall

PS4, PC & XBOX ONE
SEPTEMBER 2019

Developed by SPIDERS

This has definitely peaked my interest. Providing it is well polished and not purposely made to be a grind-fest to promote micro-transactions, I may get it. Bonus points if it has good music (which most modern games don't).
Old 09-08-19, 23:34   #2
moodydog
Relic Hunter

Wow looks really good. May have to look into this a bit more.
moodydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-19, 12:36   #3
Zebra
Legend

Yeah, been following this for a while now. Was kinda surprised to see there wasn't a thread about it on here a few days ago (but too lazy to make one myself, so I'm glad you did ).

This basically looks like the kind of BioWare RPG that BioWare has been failing to make in recent years. Really excited for it.
Old 10-09-19, 11:53   #4
MrBear
Relic Hunter

So this game just released. Anyone play it yet? Any first-hand impressions to share?

I'm tempted to get it, but I might wait until it's on sale. Depends how long I can wait until my cravings for a new RPG take over, or I read a sufficient number of reviews to dissuade me. However, from browsing initial Steam reviews, a lot of folks seem pretty happy with it, and there doesn't seem to be any major launch bugs (apart from some lip sync issue).
Old 10-09-19, 12:08   #5
jarekhanzelka
Tomb Raider

I'm starting it tonight, will share my impressions then.

The general conseus seems to be it's easily Spiders' finest piece of work yet, and an impressive one at that given the modest budget of 5M and the workforce of about 50 developers, BUT apparently it's still recognizably a Spiders game, so I'm expecting it to be rough around the edges, and fór the combat to be wonky at best.
Old 10-09-19, 14:29   #6
Swiz19
Explorer

Admittedly I have only played an hour or so but man I'm not really enjoying it that much. All trailers and what not looked good, and the setting was right up my alley. Industrial/colonial age is far more pleasing to me than another fantasy game in a boring medieval setting.

But this is way more on rails than I thought. I was expecting a better Fable but yeah... I dunno, even the game is way more ugly than all the videos I have seen, very ps3 looking. The animations are also really bad.

I'm surprised how much I ended up disliking it. Maybe my thoughts will change. I know it's been developed by indie devs, and I should be more lenient. However, it shows and I can't help myself
Swiz19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-19, 14:40   #7
Zebra
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiz19 View Post
Admittedly I have only played an hour or so but man I'm not really enjoying it that much. All trailers and what not looked good, and the setting was right up my alley. Industrial/colonial age is far more pleasing to me than another fantasy game in a boring medieval setting.

But this is way more on rails than I thought. I was expecting a better Fable but yeah... I dunno, even the game is way more ugly than all the videos I have seen, very ps3 looking. The animations are also really bad.

I'm surprised how much I ended up disliking it. Maybe my thoughts will change. I know it's been developed by indie devs, and I should be more lenient. However, it shows and I can't help myself
I've heard loads of people say that you can't judge the game based on the first few hours because that's just the prologue where they teach you the ropes and stuff. Can't play it yet myself, unfortunately, but based on what I've heard from others, things should get better once you get further into it.

As for the graphics, yeah, it sounds like you just went in with the wrong kind of expectations there. This isn't a big AAA block-buster and it was never going to look like one.

Last edited by Zebra; 10-09-19 at 14:41.
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-19, 14:44   #8
Swiz19
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
I've heard loads of people say that you can't judge the game based on the first few hours because that's just the prologue where they teach you the ropes and stuff. Can't play it yet myself, unfortunately, but based on what I've heard from others, things should get better once you get further into it.

As for the graphics, yeah, it sounds like you just went in with the wrong kind of expectations there. This isn't a big AAA block-buster and it was never going to look like one.
Yeah I'll stick with it but even the gameplay to me isn't that compelling.

And yeah, I dont expect the game to look phenomenal for an indie team, but animations alone have such a huge impact on the visuals. Running around like you got a carrot up your you know what while chucking a spready with every step you take reeeaaally takes you out of it.
Swiz19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-19, 14:53   #9
Zebra
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiz19 View Post
Yeah I'll stick with it but even the gameplay to me isn't that compelling.

And yeah, I dont expect the game to look phenomenal for an indie team, but animations alone have such a huge impact on the visuals. Running around like you got a carrot up your you know what while chucking a spready with every step you take reeeaaally takes you out of it.
I think the game's bread and butter will be its story, characters and dialogues. If you're not enjoying those at all and don't find the game's world interesting, this may simply not be the game for you.

Ah, that's fair enough. I guess one will get used to it after a while? Hope so, anyway .
Old 10-09-19, 14:55   #10
jarekhanzelka
Tomb Raider

Been saying this ever since their Mars: War Logs outing - if you don't have the means to make something look good, you should either make it differently, or not at all.

Not to mention the 10$ launch cost difference between a AAA game and a AA one doesn't do much for one's tolerance for such things.

Seriously, a grand scale question here - what really is the point of trying to emulate high budget games with a low budget? Why wouldn't developers just stick to their strengths and go for a different art direction, maybe?

Anyways, I'm still quite psyched to get started with this, should hopefully be fun.