www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 16-08-19, 04:43   #1
D4N
Hobbyist

Default The Compass

Has anyone ever actually used this in gameplay? To me its one of the most useless inventory items ever.
D4N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-19, 05:22   #2
TR-Freak
Professor

it kinda is
it probably has some usecase for people who have no idea where to go
Old 16-08-19, 06:37   #3
Felix Kroft
Hobbyist

You know, back then in 1996 roaming in a 3D environment in that format and scale of Tomb Raider game was pretty much a new thing to pretty much everyone. Shocking, and groundbreaking at the time.

So propably Core Design thought that, this could help players to have a better orientation, so You can set Your own path, when You're lost or something.

But i was always wondering, how cool it would be to have some puzzle based on that, on direction, light perhaps? Having some mural, that depicts a maze, or a riddle, and You would need a compass to solve it? Or to find a hidden places.

Like look to the west, from underneath the beast's head, and the player would have to position himself, undernath the sphinx head, or statue of some sort, and then to follow some trails on sand, or walls, or listen to the wind.

It was always in my head since i first payed the game 1996.

My imagination always went wild with stuff like this, when i was a kid, and i was discovering the worlds of classic TR.
Old 16-08-19, 07:08   #4
UroshUchiha
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix Kroft View Post
You know, back then in 1996 roaming in a 3D environment in that format and scale of Tomb Raider game was pretty much a new thing to pretty much everyone. Shocking, and groundbreaking at the time.

So propably Core Design thought that, this could help players to have a better orientation, so You can set Your own path, when You're lost or something.

But i was always wondering, how cool it would be to have some puzzle based on that, on direction, light perhaps? Having some mural, that depicts a maze, or a riddle, and You would need a compass to solve it? Or to find a hidden places.

Like look to the west, from underneath the beast's head, and the player would have to position himself, undernath the sphinx head, or statue of some sort, and then to follow some trails on sand, or walls, or listen to the wind.

It was always in my head since i first payed the game 1996.

My imagination always went wild with stuff like this, when i was a kid, and i was discovering the worlds of classic TR.
Correct me if I'm wrong (also not related to TR1) because my memory is a bit foggy of TR4, but, wasn't there a puzzle in TR4 that more or less asked you to use the compass? Or maybe I'm thinking about something else completely.
UroshUchiha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-19, 07:13   #5
ian2006
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UroshUchiha View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong (also not related to TR1) because my memory is a bit foggy of TR4, but, wasn't there a puzzle in TR4 that more or less asked you to use the compass? Or maybe I'm thinking about something else completely.
The cheats required the compass, i think you have to be standing north and press a few buttons in the inventory.
ian2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-19, 11:10   #6
sackboy123
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by UroshUchiha View Post
Yeah, TR4 had a compass puzzle in Citadel
Old 16-08-19, 20:07   #7
Felix Kroft
Hobbyist

Yes, i'm aware of that TR4 puzzle, but what i had on mind was a puzzle - riddle.

A situation where player has to read a scroll, examine some mural, follow some path in one direction, then take a turn, examine scroll again etc.

What i meant is a completly different kind of puzzle, more complex than what we got in TR4.

And something like this never happened in any classic Tomb Raider, if i'm not wrong.

TR3 swamp map, and TR4 had couple of puzzles that explored this idea more or less, but that's not what i expected.
Old 16-08-19, 21:49   #8
sackboy123
Tomb Raider

Some Custom Levels are like that but non of the official games
Old 19-08-19, 22:26   #9
bollweevil
Hobbyist

I used the compass a little bit on my first play-through to help keep myself oriented, but yeah it's pretty useless once you memorize the layouts of the levels.
bollweevil is offline   Reply With Quote