Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 17-06-16, 19:11   #191
Trenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenapple968 View Post
Your review for Temple Of Xian would be more accurate if you edited your review and replaced it with an image of rotting dog ****; that image would describe Temple Of Xian rather accurately.

Temple of Xian
is an amazing level, fully worthy of a 9 or 10 score in my opinion.
I think the problem is it tends to be severly overrated. It's often being hailed as 'the best level of TR2' by many people, but when you actually consider the historically strong lineup of levels it is placed toghether with; The Deck, Tibetan Foothills, Barkhang Monastery, Catacombs of the Talion, Ice Palace and Floating Islands then it just doesn't stick out as any better than those. In fact I think I'll probably rank all of those levels above it.
Trenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-16, 13:36   #192
trbr89

I played The Deck yesterday and I absolutely loved it. The level design is fantastic. The way you explore the cave and end up back, but on the higher decks was genial. And it was pretty atmospheric too, the open areas and the ambient noise was creepy as hell. 9.5/10 imho, best level so far I've played in TR2.
trbr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-16, 01:52   #193
sheepman23

I won't respond to everyone's comments, but thank you all for your interest, and you might see a Floating Islands review tomorrow night or Thursday night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrannosaurus View Post
What's interesting to me about the plot of TR2 is how Lara is completely peripheral to the central conflict of the story. The game gives one the impression that she is the true interloper here--no one has recruited her to find the artifact and double-cross her later. She is stepping into the hectic fray of an age-old conflict, and so quickly that neither side has plans that even take her into account. At most, Bartoli's playing Xanatos Speed Chess when she shows up, but he'd be perfectly content if she stayed out of the way completely. I doubt he even took her seriously until the incident in the Diving Area.
That is a very good point; of course, a lot of Lara's struggles come about as a result of the Fiamma Nera, and she actually probably would not be able to find the Seraph without his rig and submarine, but yeah, Lara's plot vs. Bartoli's plot really do not get mixed up until she finally defeats him in the penultimate level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESCachuli View Post
I love how you described ToX but for my taste, I think you focus too much on the spider nest (maybe because of your arachnophobia, which I don't have fortunately), and to me, there are better parts in ToX like the first screen temple, that is stunning, or the part where you have to avoid boulders while jumping on springs...

Still, wonderful analysis. Next level is still my favourite level in the entire series (followed closely by ToX of course), I hope you like Floating Islands as much as I do.
Thank you. I think the reason I am so heavy-handed about the spider cavern is because of how iconic I do believe it is in the grand scheme of the level. It is not my favorite part by any means; however, I think it was a ballsy thing to throw into a level that already had a lot of gusto and memorability. That is also quite honestly the creepiest moment of any Tomb Raider game to date, so I think that it deserves a mention or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara_Fan_33 View Post
Wow reading your reviews made me super nostalgic Very well written, apart from a couple levels i actually really agree with alot of the points youve made.
nice pictures and captions too You should do a review for TR3 I would definitly read it.

TR2 is my third favourite TR game, after
TR3 and TR1, it just hits the nail on the head in so many aspects, the whole Tibet/China section was incredible. Imagine it all in next gen
Thanks, I am happy with my write-up for that level, glad you enjoyed it.

I adore TR3 and TR1 as well. To be honest, the only way that the classic trilogy could be more amazing at this point would be if they did a next gen version with no changes gameplay-wise... just prettier looks.
sheepman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-16, 07:13   #194
kacpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepman23 View Post
I adore TR3 and TR1 as well. To be honest, the only way that the classic trilogy could be more amazing at this point would be if they did a next gen version with no changes gameplay-wise... just prettier looks.
I personally don't think it would be "more amazing" or even at the same level. It would be a completely different experience no matter what they did to it.

Last edited by kacpy; 21-06-16 at 07:28.
kacpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-16, 14:39   #195
sheepman23

The exact same games with simply updated graphics would not be more amazing? I'll have to disagree with that. If they kept literally everything intact - including the engine - yet game the game a vibrant look, it would be different but more amazing in my opinion.
sheepman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-16, 14:57   #196
ESCachuli

You'll have to upgrade also the system, get rid of the grid (making it gridless like AoD but with good controls xDD) because a blocky grid world with updated graphics would look REALLY weird.

I'd also improve the combat (despite disliking Rise, I think it's combat is the best in the series) and TR2 would benefit a lot from that since is the most combat heavy of the classics (and the whole mafia thingy is really fitting).

Anyway there are a lot of "TR2 remake" threads xDDD
ESCachuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-16, 05:33   #197
airrr13

I haven't played ToX through in a couple years at this point but I would have to agree with the 10/10 for the level. The atmosphere and the fact that you literally watch yourself fall down like a mile in the beginning of the level with the thought of having to go allllll the way back up there is a moment I have rarely seen in all of gaming. ToX hype!
airrr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-16, 23:54   #198
aquaflute

First of all, I have always enjoyed your detailed and thoughtful reviews, they are highlights of my experience in these forums, really glad you are giving TR2 another review. I know this may get repetitive over time, but I for one would definitely like to see you keep re-reviewing games as long as you remain active on these forums. It's like re-playing games, your perspectives change and you mature, therefore you have different opinions that got refined over time. I for one would definitely always enjoy reading them.

One point I like to make about TR2 that I have not seen too many people talk about is how the different sections transition into each other flawlessly. In all TR games that feature globe-trotting, this is undoubtedly the only game where transition from location A to location B, as well as outfit A to outfit B is given a lot of care. In other TR games you are told the location of your next objective, and you end up there in the next level. Here however, they don't just happen off-screen, instead, you know exactly how Lara gets, for example, from Maria Doria to Tibet, and you know exactly where she finds that cool-looking jacket and puts it on. While the game is broken down to sections, they are well linked together and offers a coherence that I very much appreciate.

Last edited by aquaflute; 28-06-16 at 23:56.
aquaflute is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-16, 00:49   #199
Hiroyuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaflute View Post
In other TR games you are told the location of your next objective, and you end up there in the next level. Here however, they don't just happen off-screen, instead, you know exactly how Lara gets, for example, from Maria Doria to Tibet
That's a good point, something I found very jarring in TR3 was I finished the India level in a dead-end cave, and then I was suddenly on a rooftop in London or the middle of the desert in Nevada! How on earth did I get there? In TR2 it's all shown explicitly, well except perhaps for the weird Floating Islands interlude.

Perhaps Sheepman should review the cut scenes as well as the levels! One thing that has struck me is the dialogue in them varies in quality. Eg. at the end of the Great Wall level Lara's comments seemed a bit random, some of them don't really seem to make sense. And in the Diving Area, why does Lara throw her boots at the unfortunate monk, hasn't he already suffered enough at the hands of Bartoli's men?!
Hiroyuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-16, 14:33   #200
Greenapple968

I decided to hold my breath until the next level gets posted. Consequently, I have gone rather purple in the face.

Lol. Take your time Sheepie; you have a life unlike me.
Greenapple968 is offline   Reply With Quote