Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

View Poll Results: What is your overall opinion of Shadow?
I like it. 115 47.52%
I mostly like it. 89 36.78%
I mostly dislike it. 27 11.16%
I dislike it. 11 4.55%
Voters: 242. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-08-19, 06:34   #41
ESCachuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAID View Post
I mostly like it:

The game has got flaws of course. The story and Lara herself being the biggest let downs in gaming history. The animations are abysmal and embarrassing and the puzzles are very repetitive.

But somehow (it could be the jungle theme), it gives me a TR3 vibe in most areas so I still enjoy the game. I think EM taking over as lead developer was a good thing. The story, character and puzzles scream Crystal Dynamics however.
I agree. I would like to add that the apocalypse was such a let down. Started good with the tsunami but there is little to none after that. I liked TR4 better in that regard.

Also, the level design is just too linear. And the platforming is still semi-automatic (and buggy!). But positive points for getting rid of the white paint. If they made at least the levels more complicated with levers and key fetching, branching paths... I mean, classic level design, I would be a lot more satisfied.

I would say this is the best since 2003, but still the worst of the TR games (I just cant count any of the CD games because they arent real TR for me).
ESCachuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-19, 09:03   #42
malferink

It's the worst in the trilogy for me, personally.
malferink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-19, 09:54   #43
Aikon

I'm missing a middle ground here.
I like some parts, dislike other stuff.
It definitely disappointed my expectations, but still it has improved in some ways.
Aikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-19, 10:13   #44
Grizzly Bear

Like I read in a review... while in TR13 and Rise exploration and puzzle solving are small distractions between a combat encounter and another one, in Shadow it's the exact opposite and I really liked this aspect.
Grizzly Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-19, 11:23   #45
Tombraider95

Mostly dislike.

The parts I liked are mainly some of the gameplay. There were a couple of instances that felt like Tomb Raider again. However even on the harder difficulties, tutorials still pop up on screen which really frustrate me. Also with the fact it's a rinse and repeat game of Rise but most importantly, it's a very anticlimactic end of a trilogy.

There's many more things that annoy me but I won't go into that.

Last edited by Tombraider95; 01-08-19 at 11:52.
Tombraider95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-19, 11:23   #46
OrangeJuice

idk tbh. my opinion really fluctuates. the game is way too unpolished (at least when compared to tr2013 and rise) and the writing is still a hot mess but i love the music and environments + i can appreciate the improvements made to the gameplay. it's fun to play for sure and sometimes when it all works it's pretty decent but idk.
also i don't dislike the animations as much as most people on here seem to do but i do agree that they could've used some refreshing and that they better not return in the next game.
also hate paititi. had it been a lost/dead city in the vein of vilcabamba i would've loved it.

tl;dr: i mostly like it.

Last edited by OrangeJuice; 01-08-19 at 11:26.
OrangeJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-19, 11:35   #47
LuckyEdge10

The main reason why I mostly dislike this game is because the marketing was utter crap, and the developers made various statements about the game which turned out not to be true.

For example: "Paititi's citizens will react at the choises of Lara and will judge her by her actions" well, guess? This doesn't happen in the game.

The CGI trailer released the 27th of April 2018 doesn't represent the game AT. ALL. The CGI trailer tells a whole other story, like if Lara was guilty for stopping the ritual that had to be done to stop the apocalypse.

The cover of the game itself is a lie, as we can see Lara near a Maya pyramid, and guess what? We NEVER get to enter in ANY Maya Pyramid, Maya Piramids don't even exist in the game, we only see one when Amaru is sacrificing a rebel. And that's it.

To not talk about the fact that the developers released sone screenshot were we could see Lara in a costume that doesn't exist and she has a "dirty version" of a braid. And she has a braid in another screenshot too. And EVEN in the game, there's a screenshot of Lara wearing a bun, when you gain the ability of the The Forge DLC. That clearly shows that they were going to include a feature to change Lara's hairstyle. And it would've been a great feature, since a ponytail for an adventure isn't practical at all.

Eidos created too much hype around the game with dozens of trailers. The Woman Masters Wild videos were way too much, they just made us too hyped for the game and then got me disappointed.

It would've been way better if the devs would've just shut up about the game features (since it's not the first time where the devs make promises for a game) and release less trailers (Louder than Words and RTX Tech trailers were enough imo).
LuckyEdge10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-19, 11:40   #48
Vaskito

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyEdge10 View Post
For example: "Paititi's citizens will react at the choises of Lara and will judge her by her actions" well, guess? This doesn't happen in the game.
If she runs around, and bumps into them, they scream at her in anger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyEdge10 View Post
The cover of the game itself is a lie, as we can see Lara near a Maya pyramid, and guess what? We NEVER get to enter in ANY Maya Pyramid, Maya Piramids don't even exist in the game, we only see one when Amaru is sacrificing a rebel. And that's it
There's one in Cozumel where she gets the dagger. Paititi is built with two Pyramids - look around in the environment, and you'll see it - and it's also mentioned in the documents about Paititi. And the very last fight is on top of one as well.

Last edited by Vaskito; 01-08-19 at 11:43.
Vaskito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-19, 11:58   #49
BlackWolftr

I like it :P
BlackWolftr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-19, 12:04   #50
Hazelphoenix

Speaking of which, although I certainly appreciate that they at least put some Maya pyramids in the game for representation, it felt more like they were there for aesthetic purposes rather than anything else.

I would’ve loved for at least one of them to be more interactive and explorable, perhaps having an entire level/segment based on climbing a pyramid with some nice platforming sessions and then solving some puzzles inside of it. If not, then getting to explore its surroundings a little bit closer instead of being relegated to background scenery as I find them truly fascinating and fitting the TR theme. The Cozumel one was on point, admittedly. It would’ve been cool to have another one in the middle of the jungle matching the cover art ngl
Hazelphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote