www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old Today, 11:05   #761
veigafd
Archaeologist

Well, If the answer is somewhat a smart decision, then you can bet they won't. Reverse psychology at it's best.
Old Today, 13:06   #762
cephasjames
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Error96 View Post
They get all these massive budgets, huge teams and todays tech and they can't outdo the gameplay that a small team was doing 15 years ago. I think this decade of video games has stagnated with all the copying. Is like with Marvel movies that in themselves are are great but then when you see the whole superhero genre transform into Marvel movies or brands trying to replicate a Marvel movie, it just feels all the same. We got even better graphics but is it really better if the new game is an automation fest, just another shooter or cuts major corners compared to their predecessors? It's not really developers/publishers fault however more money and bigger teams should bring increased variety yet it seems to be having the opposite effect.
I actually got bored with Marvel movies quite a long time ago because they're so formulaic that there was nothing surprising or innovative about them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Error96 View Post
I don't think there is a problem with a series doing what it does well. over and over, such as Mario Kart or Call of Duty. If it ain't broke don't fix it. The problem is when any brainstorm for a new cartoon racer is going let's make it just like Mario Kart or every new shooter brand is like let's make it just like Call of Duty.
I totally get that. But that's how games (and movies) make money, being familiar and derivative. Which is not always a bad thing. But innovation is risky and the more money that's put into something the less the people shilling out that money are willing to take risks. Which, imo, makes economic sense even if I wish more games were innovative.

Last edited by cephasjames; Today at 13:08.
cephasjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 14:55   #763
anniversarytr11
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerie View Post
This video explains really good, why games these days are all the same: Why Modern Video Games Suck
It actually is all about money. Square probably doesn't allow CD to make classic-like TR games and TR remakes, because run-of-the-mill games bring more money.

We all blame CD, but maybe they would like to do a different kind of TR game, but aren't allowed to. Who knows...
So according to this video, The Witcher 3 is a bad game because it has a mini-map... I found the videos argument to be a bit weak, mainly because he did not back up his arguments with actual evidence most of the time. I get what the video was saying about scripted events, some people don't like them outright or they are just executed badly. I personally like scripted events when it is done right and is for story telling purposes, especially if it's a really awesome action sequence.

But saying a game is bad for having a mini map, which you can turn off in that game FYI, makes no sense. The game is huge and open world of course most people would want some sort of indication of where to go for the next objective, he also completely ignores the fact that the combat in the game is challenging and there are many enemies that have weakness to certain spells or attacks that you only find out by trial or error or by looking at the the games monster encyclopedia.

I completely understand what people are saying that games are being dummed down and not doing things out of the box as often or being challenging. There are games that completely embody these problems such as Battlefront II but there are also many great games that have been released in the last 10 years, that might not be innovative, completely new or might hold your hand a bit too much but they are still fun games. I'm tired of the constant bashing of modern games on this forum as though they are all horrible, painting them all with the same brush and calling developers lazy (it's actually publishers who make these decisions).

Why are we completely ignoring the fact that gaming has actually come a long way in the last 20 years? The technology advancements have really pushed what games can be. In the last 20 years we have had so many games that have created innovation and have caused gaming trends that have resulted in even better games than the original that did the innovating.

Just a few examples I can name would be:

- Tomb Raider and Mario in 95 for defining 3D platforming games
- GTA III defining the future for Open world 3d games in 2001
- MGS2 drastically improving narrative in games and defining stealth mechanics for years
- Assassin's Creed for innovating how players can climb in game environments
- Demon Souls/Dark Souls for creating a new challenging combat mechanic
- Portal for puzzles
- Half-Life 2 for narrative
- RDR2
- Uncharted 2 for defining the cinematic story telling style a lot of games now try to recreate
- The Last of Us for building on that and putting it in a completely different genre
- Batman Arkham Asylum for influencing many many games in terms of the detective mode mechanic, stealth and of course the combo, fluid style combat
- Borderlands for defining shoot and loot genre
- Destiny for defining an online MMORPG first person shooter-looter genre and bringing challenging RAID team work and puzzle base gameplay to consoles for pretty much the first time
- Games like Heavy Rain for creating a completely different narrative focused genre and defining the multiple choice and multiple outcome mechanics

These games have been hailed for doing these innovations.

I think the point people on here are missing is that, innovation is very hard to achieve and execute well in any field and when it is achieved, people recognise it and other developers tend to take on that new innovation and build on it, either doing their own twist or just improving upon it, why is that a bad thing? I would compare it to innovation or big changes in art, when Leonardo Da Vinci completely innovated the art and science world, it changed those worlds and everyone after him learnt from his work and created improved versions of painting techniques or how the world looked at science. That's an extreme example but I've been trying to put this point across and every time it's being missed.
anniversarytr11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 15:41   #764
paulojr_mam
Archaeologist

^You touched on something I find odd but interesting. Even though games nowadays usually are dumbed down, combat is not. Most games today have unique, complex battle systems that aren't lazy nor formulaic. Some are. Reboot TR's cover-shooting-stealth is VERY formulaic and many games use it. But otherwise I see devs being more free to design combat, they can even actually make it challenging, which no other game mechanic seems to be allowed to be. So games aren't uniformly watered down, but that makes them all even more similar to each other.

Also, I think the obsession with innovation is exaggerated. Fun, awesome games don't have to be innovative, and innovative games can be not as fun as those that aren't. Also, the longer time passes, innovation gets harder because so many things have already been done. The problem isn't lack of innovation, is simply lack of variety. Even non-innovative games can be varied.

P.S.: @anniversarytr11 Why MGS2 and not MGS1?

Last edited by paulojr_mam; Today at 15:47.
paulojr_mam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 16:25   #765
anniversarytr11
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulojr_mam View Post
^You touched on something I find odd but interesting. Even though games nowadays usually are dumbed down, combat is not. Most games today have unique, complex battle systems that aren't lazy nor formulaic. Some are. Reboot TR's cover-shooting-stealth is VERY formulaic and many games use it. But otherwise I see devs being more free to design combat, they can even actually make it challenging, which no other game mechanic seems to be allowed to be. So games aren't uniformly watered down, but that makes them all even more similar to each other.

Also, I think the obsession with innovation is exaggerated. Fun, awesome games don't have to be innovative, and innovative games can be not as fun as those that aren't. Also, the longer time passes, innovation gets harder because so many things have already been done. The problem isn't lack of innovation, is simply lack of variety. Even non-innovative games can be varied.

P.S.: @anniversarytr11 Why MGS2 and not MGS1?
I don't understand the obsession with games having to be challenging all the time, I personally come home from a hard day at work and want to lose myself in a fantasy world, be enthralled in amazing stories and characters. No, I don't want to be baby walked through a game but I don't want to be frustrated at a game constantly, sometimes I just want to be entertained and engrossed not constantly challenged. I think most games nowadays have found a balance of immersing the player, providing entertainment and some challenge of which can be customised for the players preference sometimes.

But then I think there is a market for challenge in games as evidenced in the rise of games like Dark Souls. Then also, we haven't even touched on multiplayer games which most are based on mastering the controls, learning the maps and overall skill.

As for MGS2, I know the first one did a lot for the stealth genre, I've only played the 2nd one and beyond but know that MGS2 was a step up in terms of stealth mechanics and cutscene story telling.
anniversarytr11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 16:33   #766
Vaskito
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniversarytr11 View Post
I don't understand the obsession with games having to be challenging all the time, I personally come home from a hard day at work and want to lose myself in a fantasy world, be enthralled in amazing stories and characters. No, I don't want to be baby walked through a game but I don't want to be frustrated at a game constantly, sometimes I just want to be entertained and engrossed not constantly challenged. I think most games nowadays have found a balance of immersing the player, providing entertainment and some challenge of which can be customised for the players preference sometimes.
This was PERFECTLY said. It literally explains my PoV 100%. Thank you
Old Today, 16:57   #767
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider

The market has been over saturated with baby games though. Legit there was little to no challenge until Dark Souls came out, thank God.
Old Today, 17:53   #768
Samz
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniversarytr11 View Post

But then I think there is a market for challenge in games as evidenced in the rise of games like Dark Souls. Then also, we haven't even touched on multiplayer games which most are based on mastering the controls, learning the maps and overall skill.

As for MGS2, I know the first one did a lot for the stealth genre, I've only played the 2nd one and beyond but know that MGS2 was a step up in terms of stealth mechanics and cutscene story telling.
And we used to have games like Forbidden Siren 2, Silent Hill, Timesplitters, Commandos 2 and Brothers in arms, where the difficulty settings mattered.

Siren 2 for instance, changed enemy placements and such to make it that much harder, you re-learned almost every level a bit as easy routes and such would get blocked off by additional enemies. (for instance, one path in a mission that quickly gets you to the exit is blocked off by a Sniper on Hard mode, maybe getting decent weapons is hard/near-impossible or few times easy to defeat enemies would be armed with better weapons.)

Something like 2013 is easy regardless of difficulty outside of some bad design choices because the base gameplay doesn't get that harder even with the damage values tweaked.

MGS2 also effected more than damage with difficulty values, Guards got less blind and more presistant during an alert for instance.

A good chunk of the Resident evil games effected enemy/item placement with difficulty, so you have much less healing/ammo supplies to go around forcing you to use less by avoiding/using the knife on enemies.

Plus you know, We used to not get constant chatter from the protagonist telling us what to do.

Last edited by Samz; Today at 18:10.
Samz is offline   Reply With Quote