www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Technical Support

Old 29-04-21, 16:46   #1
laralives
Professor

Question CPU Running at 100%

Hello all,

My machine had been running with it's CPU (Intel i7-7700HQ) at 100% for a while now (even after a clean reboot/shutdown), and I couldn't quite pin-point what could be causing it to do that. I tried many things- disabling all the startup apps- not running anything but task manager, but the CPU was always running at 100%.

After some digging I garnered that it might have been overclocked somehow- as the CPU was also continuously running at 3.39Ghz, and I had read somewhere that it might be an indication that it was being overclocked.

Well, I decided to go with that and looked for any feature within the BIOS that would indicate any form of overclocking. Well, as it turns out- there was no feature that jumped out as being responsible for the overclocking. Then, I realized that the only feature that I recalled enabling a while ago (unsure of when I did this), was the "Intel Virtualization Technology" feature to be able to run Virtual Machines.

As it turns out- this was the issue! After disabling it, I can run all the apps and all the tabs, AND open and game and the CPU doesn't even flinch- it fluctuated from anywhere from 10% to 19%. (Without the game, it runs at a cool 2%-5% - That's an INSANE difference.)

So my questions are:
  • Is this normal?
  • Why would enabling Intel Virtualization Technology within the BIOS cause this reaction to the CPU?
  • Lastly- have I done considerable harm to my CPU having ran it at 100% for god only knows how long?

Thank you in advance for any insight that anyone can provide!
Old 30-04-21, 20:08   #2
gidierre
Grease Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by laralives View Post
[1]Is this normal?
[2]Why would enabling Intel Virtualization Technology within the BIOS cause this reaction to the CPU?
[3]Lastly- have I done considerable harm to my CPU having ran it at 100% for god only knows how long
[3]I don't think so
[1]Hardly
[2]Afaics I have Intel Virtualization Technology enabled here myself, yet no sign of overclocking, so I'm not convinced that's the reason
otoh it seems you fixed the issue yourself so wheter I'm convinced or not doesn't matter much

maybe some virtual machine you had set to play the resource hog, outside the BIOS, I mean
like in the Registry you know, the likes of:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Run

as per https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...tVersion%5CRun
Old 30-04-21, 20:28   #3
wmcintosh
Explorer

Not related, viruses, malware and the like could also cause insane CPU usage.

Suppose if you can still use the computer, then its fine. Know nothing about Intel Virtualization Technology. CPU running at 100% isn't normal constantly.

Repeating, but throwing my take on it.
wmcintosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-21, 22:05   #4
laralives
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gidierre View Post
[3]I don't think so
[1]Hardly
[2]Afaics I have Intel Virtualization Technology enabled here myself, yet no sign of overclocking, so I'm not convinced that's the reason
otoh it seems you fixed the issue yourself so wheter I'm convinced or not doesn't matter much

maybe some virtual machine you had set to play the resource hog, outside the BIOS, I mean
like in the Registry you know, the likes of:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Run

as per https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...tVersion%5CRun
Thank you for your response. I, too, am extremely curious as to what it "actually" was. I actually looked further into it, and it appears that I never even got around to setting up any VMachines- as in, I don't even own any VM software. (I likely mistook this machine, for my previous machine.)

All I know is that as soon as I ticked that option off, it started functioning normally. (I mean, I can try and tick it back on and see if it starts doing it again.)

Of an added note/to further expand; it did not matter what application was running- but which ever application would be considered the most "resource heavy" ie. browser, iTunes, a game, etc. - that would be the app using the most CPU- if I was running both my browser and iTunes, those two apps would split the load ie. if just my browser was running, it was using 97%-99% of the CPU. However, if I started up iTunes, then it would be: browser 56%, iTunes 43%. It makes absolutely no sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcintosh View Post
Not related, viruses, malware and the like could also cause insane CPU usage.

Suppose if you can still use the computer, then its fine. Know nothing about Intel Virtualization Technology. CPU running at 100% isn't normal constantly.

Repeating, but throwing my take on it.
Apologies, I failed to mention, that before I went into the BIOS, I did run a scan for viruses and malware (thinking that this could also be the case). However, both Avira and Malwarebytes came back clean- no threats found.
Old 30-04-21, 22:38   #5
gidierre
Grease Monkey

Quote:
I never even got around to setting up any VMachines- as in, I don't even own any VM software.

All I know is that as soon as I ticked that option off, it started functioning normally. (I mean, I can try and tick it back on and see if it starts doing it again.)
of course disabling that IVT feature did cut off whatever virtualization software might be running under the hood so to speak, hence my reference to looking up whatever Run keys could be relevant in the Registry as I linked to
Quote:
to further expand; it did not matter what application was running- but which ever application would be considered the most "resource heavy"- ie. if just my browser was running, it was using 97%-99% of the CPU.
this could draw attention towards the murky realm of browser extensions...
eg if it's about Chrome you may want to check out
https://linuxhint.com/detect_high_cp..._tasks_chrome/
and
https://smallbusiness.chron.com/fix-...ome-77171.html
or similar webpages about other browsers of course

so that a purifying reset might also be in order
Old 30-04-21, 22:53   #6
laralives
Professor

Quote:
of course disabling that IVT feature did cut off whatever virtualization software might be running under the hood so to speak, hence my reference to looking up whatever Run keys could be relevant in the Registry as I linked to
this could draw attention towards the murky realm of browser extensions...
eg if it's about Chrome you may want to check out
https://linuxhint.com/detect_high_cp..._tasks_chrome/
and
https://smallbusiness.chron.com/fix-...ome-77171.html
or similar webpages about other browsers of course

so that a purifying reset might also be in order
I just checked my registry- nothing out of the ordinary there.

I am currently using Opera (which I am aware is now based in Chromium- which Chrome is also based on). I know, I know- please don't judge- I am aware that it states that I have 64 tabs open.

But as you can see- the CPU is now running (since turning off the Intel Virtualization Technology option) at 4%-5% (with Opera- being a fraction of that as well.)

Last edited by laralives; 30-04-21 at 22:54.
laralives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-21, 23:23   #7
gidierre
Grease Monkey

Quote:
as you can see- the CPU is now running (since turning off the Intel Virtualization Technology option) at 4%-5% (with Opera- being a fraction of that as well.)
I see
and leaving it disabled is just fine if you don't even need it
https://www.tombraiderforums.com/new...eply&p=8295710
https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vS...25ECEEF94.html
https://superuser.com/questions/6518...ty-performance

the only sensible way to experiment would be to reenable it and see (if it's worth the effort)

still if it reproduces the issue, I'd be inclined to search for the relevance of some browser extension "unleashed" by greenlighting the virtualization

that, or simply this browser and the Intel thingamabob are just the twain that are not bound to ever meet
Old 01-05-21, 20:55   #8
laralives
Professor

Hmm... a bizarre turn of events.

I have re-enabled the IVT- and only when I first booted up my machine, was I seeing the weird jumps in CPU usage to 100%. I let the machine finish booting up and do all of its "start-up" things (which at this point, isn't a lot) and I notice that CPU usage does fluctuate a whole lot more when IVT is enabled.

(I can also hear the fans cooling the machine, as opposed to when the feature is off, they're pretty much silent- unless I start gaming.)

As you can see, it's not even Opera- in this case, taking up much of the CPU- rather Malwarebytes' service. o_O

EDIT:

Actually here's a better representation of it fluctuating:

And for some added context: the only thing application running was my browser and a youtube video played for 2m36s and while it played, I left my PC alone (went to clean up some dishes). I came back, replayed the same video, only this time, I am actively using my PC- to compose this edit and the CPU hasn't crossed 6% CPU usage. I am puzzled to say the least.

Last edited by laralives; 01-05-21 at 21:15.
laralives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-21, 18:57   #9
gidierre
Grease Monkey

well aside from re-disabling the IVT thing if not required

apparently that setup pushes temporarily the CPU alright
but after some jolting it doesn't reach the 100% load anymore
so browser paraphernalia & everything are not guilty, there's nothing to fix either.
Old 04-05-21, 21:35   #10
laralives
Professor

Quote:
well aside from re-disabling the IVT thing if not required

apparently that setup pushes temporarily the CPU alright
but after some jolting it doesn't reach the 100% load anymore
so browser paraphernalia & everything are not guilty, there's nothing to fix either.
Thank you for all your suggestions. It appears that you, as I were just curious as to what in the world would cause this behavior. However, it appears we will both be left in the dark as to what "exactly" is causing IVT to affect my machine in this way.

Some things will always just remain as a mystery.

Neverthless, once again, I appreciate all your help!