Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Video Games

Old 09-12-22, 15:06   #121
jajay119

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
Even Microsoft acknowledged that Games Pass isn't making them any money. This is why Microsoft badly wants this deal. If they can get the vast library of games that Activision owns onto gamepass than more people will buy into it and Microsoft can finally make profit.
I'm not sure where you heard that, but Phil spencer has said Gamepass accounts for 15% of Xbox's overall revenue.

Also, they've just signed a deal with Nintendo for CoD games to appear on their console for 10 years, with a similar deal in the works for Valve. Let's be honest, if they're allowing it to happen for 10 years - it'll happen forever. I'm sure if the roles were reversed and it were Sony in this position they'd not do the same. They've only just been strong armed into brining their games to PC.

They want the same to happen with Sony, but Sony are refusing to co-operate.

They also allowed Sony to keep the timed exclusives they had with Bethesda with no opposition when the acquisition was happening. Even though it was a crappy thing for Bethesda to do to he negotiating two forms of exclusivity at the same time.

If you want to blame someone for lack of availability, it's not MS at this point.

Last edited by jajay119; 11-12-22 at 12:51.
jajay119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-22, 14:54   #122
charmedangelin

Microsoft is a clown. After claiming the FTC is "violating" their rights they then go on to admit that more games from the Bethesda deal will become exclusive. However they try to excuse this by saying they will just be single player games that's all.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/micros...constitutional

They have dug themselves into a massively deep pit. I doubt the appeal will be allowed now.
charmedangelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-22, 13:07   #123
jajay119

Sony have literally just paid Konami and Square Enix to exclude Xbox from certain games - I don't see that helping their cause much.
Old 28-12-22, 13:22   #124
rewak

Yeah about that, I've been seeing this pop up on a bunch of websites and they all fail to mention those are timed exclusives. I'm only talking about Final Fantasy and Silent Hill here, why Microsoft think Bloodborne, which is 100% owned by Sony and is a Sony IP, should be multiplatform is beyond me. It'd be like saying Halo or Forza should be on PS platforms, dumb. Anyway Microsoft just did this exact thing with Bloobers last game The Medium, it was a timed exclusive for their platform and then released on PS5 when the time was up, exact same thing will happen with Silent Hill 2, exactly the same way it happened with SH2s original release too. As for Final Fantasy, Sony are paying for timed exclusivity but I have a feeling even if they weren't Square wouldn't even bother releasing the major titles for Xbox. FF7s time is up and they aren't porting it, that's Squares choice and it makes sense. FF has never performed well on Xbox platforms, hell just look at the recent Crisis Core release, Xbox is the lowest seller by a lot. If Microsoft want to bitch about that maybe they should be going with offers of their own to actually support Square instead of dropping some cash to lock the game on their platform then doing 0 marketing for it. Rise anyone?
rewak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-22, 00:25   #125
jajay119

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewak View Post
Yeah about that, I've been seeing this pop up on a bunch of websites and they all fail to mention those are timed exclusives.?
There have since been reports that they're not and the wording of the contracts was deliberately vague to hide it as MS claims these types of deals only come to PC..

https://www.windowscentral.com/gamin...g-xbox-forever

As i see it, Xbox aren't complaining about it they're simply using it as a counter argument to Sony's complaint which is a completely valid move.

Exclusivity is exclusivity - whether timed or permanent, you're still paying to keep players of another platform away from it in the hope the pull will be enough to buy your system and play it there first. The majority of game sales come in the first months. By delaying release on another system by 12 months you're essentially trying to guarantee the majority of sales will come on your platform and it may as well be permanent by that premise.

You're either against exclusivity or you're not. You cannot have your cake and eat it, but Sony seems to want to. Them buying timed exclusives doesn't detract that they're still engaging in the very practice they claim Microsoft shouldn't be allowed to do - just because the premise of the deal is different, it doesn't change intent - especially considering my above point re initial sales period impacts.

I'd like to point out btw I'm not painting MS as the good guy here. I don't buy into that - they're both in it for the profit but I do feel both companies go through periods of poor practise which they should be called out for - MS had enough of that during the abysmal XBONE era and Sony in their early PS3 era. Nor do I agree or disagee with the acquisition of Activision/Blizard -.that enables me to play Devils Advocate in this. I just feel Sony is being more Improper than people are giving them credit for in this. I also feel MS don't deserve the vilification they're getting from some given the full facts (which have, at times not been considered here I feel).

Last edited by jajay119; 29-12-22 at 00:46.
Old 29-12-22, 01:01   #126
rewak

The Silent Hill 2 trailer literally said console exclusive for 12 months with the PC version launching day 1, pretty clear that means it'll come to Xbox after a year. Final Fantasy is different but like I said that's most likely more on Square. They're not interested in Xbox, they tried and it kept flopping, even the recent FF Pixel Remasters are skipping Xbox but releasing on Switch. The Crisis Core remaster didn't even release physically on Xbox in Japan. It's just not a platform they think is viable for them at least in Japan, and we all know Square only really care about the Japanese market. And again why are they even mentioning Bloodborne? It's a Sony IP, not a FromSoft IP! They could have any developer work on it if they wanted to, it's the same for Demon's Souls which is how BluePoint got the remake gig and why that game is a PS exclusive.

Do I think consoles should have these timed exclusives? No, they're annoying. Would I take a timed exclusive over a permanent exclusive? Yes, always yes. Microsoft have already locked all future Bethesda and Zenimax games as permanent exclusives. They have dozens of other studios they've just bought up making permanent exclusives. That is more harmful to the industry than Sony having a year lead with some titles. In fact it wouldn't surprise me at all if Sony rebuts this by saying they're making these timed exclusive deals to give themselves a fighting chance over Microsoft's growing monopoly.
rewak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-22, 01:17   #127
jajay119

Like I said, I'm neither here nor there with it. I'll get whatever console has games I want to play. Last gen that was only the PS4. This gen it may be both - I currently only have an Xbox as they were easier to get during lockdown and there's nothing on PS5 to convince me to buy one yet (Tbh if i could go back, i wouldnt bother with the xbox series x either yet). However, i dont like any of Activision-Blizzard's games so i have no personal interest in whether it goes through or not. On a completely neutral PoV, I just think Sony isn't doing themselves any favours with this at the moment, nor do i think theyre as squeaky clean in their intentions as people are painting them as. In fact I think their attitude has been questionable a few times this gen.

Last edited by jajay119; 29-12-22 at 01:52.
Old 29-12-22, 06:51   #128
charmedangelin

All Final Fantasy games have been timed exclusives. Final Fantasy 7 remake is headed to PC via steam.
Old 16-01-23, 15:40   #129
charmedangelin

And now the EU is considering anti trust lawsuit against the Microsoft Activision deal.

https://twitter.com/VGC_News/status/...r2SReVylw&s=19
Old 09-02-23, 17:33   #130
charmedangelin

Deals getting blocked after this stunning revelation.

https://twitter.com/TWTHEREDDRAGON/s...9VVvG40Rg&s=19

Phil Spenser is a massive liar

https://twitter.com/nib95_/status/16...NL8etCWjg&s=19

Last edited by charmedangelin; 09-02-23 at 17:47.