Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Software Development

Old 27-06-22, 00:43   #1211
Mokono

Is there a way to disable Google VR without having to start OpenLara?
Whenever I tap the icon to open it, the game crashes. There is a message saying something about Google VR, but it disappears quickly. By the way, all the files and folders are in their default locations.
Thanks in advance!
Mokono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-22, 00:46   #1212
tr1xp

First: Outstanding work on this! Smoothest running version ever. It's so nice to be able to play without running 27.5 DOS/Gamepad wrappers and emulators, and this looks great...and that 60+ FPS!!!? Joy!

It was crashing on me when I tried to launch it using my old PSX CD files, but I acquired some different PSX files from the link a few pages back, and now it works fine. It appears just copying the PSXDATA, FMV, etc. folders directly from my original 26 year old Playstation CD does not work for some reason, not for me anyway. Using the files from my PC version + the audio tracks ripped from my PSX CD worked fine. Go figure.

Anyway, got it working, and it looks great, but I find it "unplayable" due to the controls. They're just way too slow, unresponsive, and sluggish compared to the original (which was bad to begin with, but worked flawlessly within the constraints that existed). There seems to be a delay, or wait of some sort required in between each action here. Many times I'll try to do a run-up jump and the jump part just never "goes off" and Lara just runs off a cliff. Same for a back/side flip, she just jumps straight up. Also aiming/targeting is really odd. I have split and retargeting off, and she still targets two baddies at once. Sometimes shoots 8-10 shots before hitting them, sometimes, just one shots them. Very odd combat. In the original, you could use the look button to "zoom in" and target a baddie more accurately then press and hold fire and lock on until the baddie came into view again. In this version doing so switches to first person (and interrupts shooting), which I am not a fan of. Pressing "jump" while in water does not make her "dive" unless you are pressing forward first. Getting out of the water is very hit or miss/slow/delayed. Etc. etc.

Could not get it to run on Linux at all. Missing dependencies? Running it in a terminal showed some info that looked normal, no error, then just stopped.

Last edited by tr1xp; 08-07-22 at 14:44.
tr1xp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-22, 13:24   #1213
JotaDelgado

What happen with OpenLara? is there any news?
JotaDelgado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-22, 23:39   #1214
XProger
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by JotaDelgado View Post
What happen with OpenLara? is there any news?
Still in progress
XProger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-23, 11:01   #1215
legluondunet

Good to know that this wonderful project is still active.
Is there a place where we could consultproject status?
Which TR game are fully playable with OpenLara on PC (Windows, Linux) today? 1? 2?

Last edited by legluondunet; 04-01-23 at 13:44.
legluondunet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-23, 11:29   #1216
SrDanielPonces

Quote:
Originally Posted by legluondunet View Post
Is there a place where we could see project status?
Which TR game are fully playable on PC (Windows, Linux) today? 1? 2?
only 1 .......
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-23, 09:35   #1217
Gialel

Default A curiosity

Excuse me, does anyone know if with Openlara the first Tomb Raider is compatible with FMV in avi and MP4 and ambient and speech sounds in wav and flac format?

xproger, thank you because I was able to play the first Tomb Raider entirely with subtitles in my native language (I'm not English), with some graphical improvements and connected to my CRT. Nostalgia, take me away.

Edit: Sorry, I had received a response from xproger on the github page and didn't notice it.

Last edited by Gialel; 04-03-23 at 21:57.
Gialel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-23, 17:53   #1218
Gialel

Quote:
Originally Posted by legluondunet View Post
Is there a place where we could consultproject status?
Which TR game are fully playable with OpenLara on PC (Windows, Linux) today? 1? 2?
In Linux I don't know. About Windows I can give you the following informations:
TR II and III are Open Lara compatible. The Last Revelation I don't know but looking on YouTube it seems so. Chronicles I don't know. In theory, yes, because it seems to have been made with the same graphics engine as the previous ones, at most a little better than The Last Revelation. You can find out if The Last Revelation and Chronicles are compatible by installing them and trying to start them with the Open Lara exe. Every day for half an hour I will work on a page of a site that explains how to make the first TR work well. I will thank on the page that I will create Xprogrer and all those who have helped me with guides and advice. By the end of next week I think it will be ready.

Edit: legluondunet, reading the first lines of this guide: https://docs.libretro.com/library/openlara/, it seems that Open Lara works with all first 5 Tomb Raiders.

Last edited by Gialel; 04-03-23 at 22:01.
Gialel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-23, 23:48   #1219
laralives

Quote:
Originally Posted by XProger View Post
Project is cross-platform but Web is prefer and you always can see latest changes by the link Web build with demo level.
I'm curious, do you still update this web version? Every few months I replay it in its entirety to see if it's fully playable, but it appears that the last time it was updated was Aug 2022.

I understand that some AI for the enemies may still prove to be challenging as they tend to act in funny ways; ie. climbing pushables that have no space above them, or them getting stuck between doors/refuse to travel through them, or "portals" into other rooms. (There's probably more funny things that enemies do that I can't seem to recall at this moment.)

When I've played it there's at least two (maybe three) places where I wish the ledges worked so I could get a secret, and two, continue without "flying".

The secret is in "Lost Valley" where you have to shimmy across an "invisible" ledge- I'm guessing it has to do with the fact that there is no "space" in the ledge so it doesn't let Lara continue to shimmy... (I've placed a red line to show where the shimmying should occur.)

The second place that prevents you from finishing the level is in Sanctuary of the Scion- when you slide down she is holding the ledge "right above" the actual ledge and for some reason doesn't allow her to continue shimmying left. (When this happens in "TRLE games" you can just release "Action" and grab again and she'll be right on the ledge- however, in this particular place in OpenLara she doesn't, I even tried "flying" to the ledge and shimmying to the right, and she refuses to cross over to the right, as if there's an invisible "wall" there.

It's my understanding that your current goal is to port OpenLara to many devices, but I am hoping that you are also working to getting the game to be 100% playable as well. (Or at least TR1).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LostValleyLedge.png
Views:	125
Size:	984.8 KB
ID:	280   Click image for larger version

Name:	HangingLedge.png
Views:	122
Size:	667.2 KB
ID:	281   Click image for larger version

Name:	HangingLedge2.png
Views:	104
Size:	654.0 KB
ID:	282  
laralives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-23, 14:27   #1220
fallenangle

I don't know about the Lost Valley shimmy but that Sanctuary Of The Scion one, which I seem to remember having myself when I played the original Xbox OL version, is no level ending problem.

As I recall it takes good timing but if you slide down the slope forwards and do a bendy jump at the correct point before the end LC will curve enough to land on the corner of the platform to her right.

In fact my previous playthrough of TR1 was that OL version about 18 months ago and when I was replaying the same level in the original PC version last week, during my most recent run, I actually tried to do that jump because I had forgotten and gone down the slope forwards first time.

I have to admit I failed but it did remind me it is possible.

EDIT

Just went back, tried it and it is surprisingly easy.

At the top of the slope edge LC as far left as possible so she will still slide if you press Forward. Do that and almost immediately press Jump and full Right and she'll land on the platform but will take damage. So no good for a no scratch run.

It may even be possible with a standing jump ie. no slide because when I tried that she only just missed the corner edge of the landing platform. A swan dive I didn't try but usually if she takes damage with a 'normal' jump a swan dive will break her neck.

Last edited by fallenangle; 30-05-23 at 15:12. Reason: Additional Information
fallenangle is offline   Reply With Quote