Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 04-12-21, 06:44   #11
Raider8

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin_2010 View Post
Stupid things I did... (as a child gamer)

TR2: use weapons / ammo cheat to shoot all the guns repeatedly, at nothing, for several minutes at a time.

TR3: Never get past the first level but always play Lara's Home.

TR4: Struggle to get past the Cambodia levels.

TR5: Terrified of the dog growling sounds in Streets of Rome, save and quit.

Did anyone else rely solely on the level skip cheat to play these games as a kid?
Don't tell me you couldn't get past the first level of every classic tomb raider. I mean how are you keeping up with the series so far. Lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
I like to show off and slideflip sometimes instead of jumping forwards...doesn't always work out.

I pistol ran the entirety of Anniversary on PSP, granted not too silly considering how Anniversary's combat is entirely busted.

Goofs:

Core apparently thought the scope on a Carl Gustav was a lever of some kind? Lara moves her arm like it's some kind of "Load next rocket" lever when firing.

AOD: The Viper SMG is a Bizon, the bottom part of the gun (That Lara holds onto) is the Magazine, it's a big Cylinder, for some reason squashed Pistol Ammo Magazines (that end up kinda resembling old bolt action rifle magazines) are ammo picks for it instead of the Cylinder magazine. (that look like they probably couldn't hold 20 rounds, let alone 70.)

We were going to be able to stick a Laser Scope on the Taser in AOD, I don't think I need to explain why that's dumb.

Thankfully AOD has one.

Weirdly it's actually Dynamic, I've had circumstances where dropped items by enemies ended up ontop of something (or me below them) and Lara can actually do the Pedestal grab instead of having to climb up, which is a neat detail.
Wowh. That's cool.

I can't remember if AOD had that animation. Aod used to be my baby back in the day.
Raider8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-21, 20:03   #12
Kidd Bowyer

I remember once as a young'un, I saved during a skidoo level in TR2, right at the height of a jump.

Unfortunately, that jump was poorly done, and so every time I tried to load, it'd just be Lara careening through the air and crashing/exploding.
Kidd Bowyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-21, 20:07   #13
Jathom95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Bowyer View Post
I remember once as a young'un, I saved during a skidoo level in TR2, right at the height of a jump.

Unfortunately, that jump was poorly done, and so every time I tried to load, it'd just be Lara careening through the air and crashing/exploding.
I did the exact same thing once, only it was with AOD. I was in the Hall of Seasons during the part with the raised platforms. I accidentally saved after failing a jump from the tallest one once, so every time after that I was greeted to her screaming and dying upon loading that save. Disappointment didn't even begin to describe it lol. My brother thought it was funny and laughed at me being so unfortunate haha.

Last edited by Jathom95; 08-12-21 at 20:16.
Jathom95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-21, 16:52   #14
Raider8

LMAOO!!! I think every single person on here who has played classic TR has had made atleast one game save at the absolute WRONG time before Lara was gonna die. I did this blunder like 4-5 times in my life with this game LOL.
Old 12-12-21, 10:48   #15
Ora Dagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Bowyer View Post

I did the same in Chronicles. The chef in the kitchen caught me sneaking behind him and for some reason I thought it was a good idea to save. I couldn't progress any further.

One thing I always did (and still do) is make Lara jump off the highest point of a level just to hear that satisfying scream....and the crunch!

When I was super young I used to pretend Lara was a mermaid and swim back and forth in the deep pools of water.

In TR2 I would push the button in Lara's home that plays Venice Violins and jump back and fourth in that giant empty ball room right before the indoor pool. In my mind I was doing gymnastics

Last edited by Ora Dagger; 12-12-21 at 10:52.
Ora Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-21, 18:09   #16
Raider8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ora Dagger View Post
I did the same in Chronicles. The chef in the kitchen caught me sneaking behind him and for some reason I thought it was a good idea to save. I couldn't progress any further.

One thing I always did (and still do) is make Lara jump off the highest point of a level just to hear that satisfying scream....and the crunch!

When I was super young I used to pretend Lara was a mermaid and swim back and forth in the deep pools of water.

In TR2 I would push the button in Lara's home that plays Venice Violins and jump back and fourth in that giant empty ball room right before the indoor pool. In my mind I was doing gymnastics
LooLzzz. Everyone does enjoy the classic lara fall scream. And the funny thing about it is that her scream is so delayed that she can even die before screaming. I mean why would you scream so late knowing that you're fall was high.

And I also remember what a pain it was figuring out that you had to knock out the man in the kitchen in chronicles. It's one thing I hate about classic lara keeping quiet having a resting bitch face all the time. On the other hand, annoyingly, reboot Lara who is very chatty would state what switch she'd need to open whatever door 12 miles away.
Old 12-12-21, 20:45   #17
xdesperado_

From the age of 5 until about 13, I didn't bother to progress further in the story modes as they were too hard and often scary to me. I would just play the Croft Manor tutorials repeatedly - which in hindsight all that time did pay off as I got much better at playing the classics. AOD was the first TR game (or any video game) I ever completed.

And in those early years I often played the games on mute, or sometimes at a really low volume as the sound effects would make me nervous.
xdesperado_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-21, 12:21   #18
.snake.

Minor retardation as a child:
My first TR was TR4, and I played it in German. While I understand German due to growing up bilingual, Von Croy's training instructions in German are really fast and really easy to miss if you don't listen carefully. So, somehow, I missed the part where he teaches Young Lara how to WALK. I would keep running to ledges and dropping to my death repeatedly, until I learnt that I could at least side-step to the edge by pressing Delete or Page Down on my keyboard, without dropping to my death. So, I spent all of TR4 - yes, the entire game - rotating Lara away from a ledge, side stepping her to the edge, and rotating her back again so she faces the right way to perform the jump. I was very young and clueless.

It was only when I decided to get TR1 that I understood that I could hold down SHIFT to walk to the edge. My eyes were opened. And for some reason, after all that agony I went through with TR4, it's still my favorite game. Far better in English though than in German.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdesperado_ View Post
And in those early years I often played the games on mute, or sometimes at a really low volume as the sound effects would make me nervous.
Same thing for me. I was just too scared playing it as a child and so would have the tv on in the background, and only play during the daytime, because I just couldn't handle it.

But now when I replay the classics, I make sure my room is dark and I have my headphones on so I'm fully immersed in all the sounds and can soak up every drop of the suffocating and oppressive atmosphere.
.snake. is offline   Reply With Quote