www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 10-08-20, 06:41   #971
steven35175
Hobbyist

If you need beta testers, I can be one of them, too It's good to hear the grenade launcher isn't the miss-able weapon, which is given the second chance to obtain it
steven35175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-20, 18:11   #972
Danath
Archaeologist

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topixtor View Post
I may have said "Maybe" in the past but whatever, I'm up to test it whole when it's ready.
Thank you for your offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven35175 View Post
If you need beta testers, I can be one of them, too It's good to hear the grenade launcher isn't the miss-able weapon, which is given the second chance to obtain it
Thank you.

I don't know if i explained it incorrectly, but just in case, the grenade launcher is still a secret weapon. What i meant is that you have 2 chances to get it, but it's still tied to finding 3 secrets on 2 separate levels.

----------------------
I reduced the amount of ammo and i'm going to do a full run again to see how it feels. Not today though, too hot here, that darn hot air going around.
Old 10-08-20, 21:22   #973
egypt_gypsie
Professor

I also wouldn't mind beta testing this. I am really looking forward to playing it.
Old 13-08-20, 20:39   #974
Danath
Archaeologist

Arrow The plan forward

I have been tweaking the pickup quantities and i'm at a point where i am pretty satisfied with the results. Needs some small refinements but it's basically done.

Did a complete playthrough with the current item distribution and i enjoyed it a lot, can't wait to see how everything will look when all the detail and lighting is added.
Got some crazy final statistics, if someone wants to see them i can post an image link here so people can chose if they want to be spoilered or not.

Ok, now that the balance is in, i will detail what i am going to do now. There's some improvements i want to make to the levels, and additional things i want to implement to make it a better game.

Level improvements

- Level 2: Small changes to the gameplay. One change to lower backtracking time and another change in a puzzle setup to prevent confusion and improve it.
- Level 3: Changing key item order to make the progression better.
- Level 4: Add some extra areas to make the level more interesting, implement a shortcut in one area.
- Level 5: Add a missing door and it's opening setup. Improve some setups.
- Level 7: Improve one puzzle area.
- Level 8: Try to improve one of the puzzles.
- General: Revise timed sections and possibly implement extra ones. Add music triggers ( lazy, i know ) and possible camera shots/Lara looking somewhere. Add missing sounds and missing weapon animations, level effects like water drop sound. Add a separate music track to inform players of timed segments, make it consistent all through the game.

Other improvements and things:

- Create level loading screens, redo main menu screen in higher res.
- Implement water color changes, and barefoot sound in levels 3 and 4.
- Normalize music volume, some tracks sound louder than others.
- Lower trap sound volume, so no more deafening "clang-clang" or wall blades.
- Create a nice readme in .doc format with all needed instructions/info in it.

And when all that is done, then i will begin the texturing and lighting. I'm going to enjoy that process a lot, knowing the game works fine.
In the detailing process, i will make these changes in level 1:

- Trying to make the lighting better by choosing a sunlight "direction" and adding shadows according to that so there's some contrast.
- Add/change static meshes, for example try to find better trees than the ugly default TR2 one, no excuses now with all that sweet texture space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by egypt_gypsie View Post
I also wouldn't mind beta testing this. I am really looking forward to playing it.
Thanks, i hope you like the finished game.

Last edited by Danath; 18-08-20 at 01:05.
Danath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-20, 00:25   #975
Topixtor
Historian

Everything sound good, happy you have taken into account my advice for level 1's lighting can't wait for that!
Topixtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-20, 01:31   #976
Leoc1995
Hobbyist

It's very good to see your care with every detail of your levels. On my last TR2 and currently on my developing TR1 I have been paying more attention to detail, something I didn't do years ago.

However, your dedication to the project is formidable, I see this in every post and also in conversations I have with you on Twitch chats. I'm sure it will be one of the best TR2 custom levels (regardless of score, despite being something that authors take into account and that I believe your project will be well ranked).

The idea of having a specific sound for each "timer switch" is very interesting and the fact of reducing "backtracking" is perhaps the essential point, considering that each of your levels will be longer than usual in custom levels. Good luck! I can't wait to play this great work!! Of course, in your time to launch

Last edited by Leoc1995; 14-08-20 at 01:32.
Leoc1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-20, 17:48   #977
Danath
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topixtor View Post
Everything sound good, happy you have taken into account my advice for level 1's lighting can't wait for that!
I don't know if i will be able to improve it a lot but at least i want to try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoc1995 View Post
your dedication to the project is formidable, I see this in every post and also in conversations I have with you on Twitch chats. I'm sure it will be one of the best TR2 custom levels (regardless of score, despite being something that authors take into account and that I believe your project will be well ranked).
Thank you. Honestly, i'm aiming for a spot in the Hall of Fame, but knowing my previous scores and the demo score i highly doubt that will happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoc1995 View Post
and the fact of reducing "backtracking" is perhaps the essential point, considering that each of your levels will be longer than usual in custom levels.
Well not every one of them, but levels 3,5,6,7,8 are pretty long.
Old 17-08-20, 19:26   #978
Danath
Archaeologist

Changing the roofs in level 1 is way too much work the way i designed the rooms ( i was still learning ). I pass on taking so much time for something insignificant. Moving on to the rest of the tasks...

Update: Level 2 gameplay improved.
Update 2: Level 3 gameplay improved. Corrected "blinking" trapdoors on all levels.

Last edited by Danath; 18-08-20 at 01:06. Reason: Progress
Danath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-20, 17:41   #979
Danath
Archaeologist

Smile Progress

Level 4 has been slightly expanded as intended and the shortcut was added, some setups were improved.

The alternate room setups i had there had to be altered, because i found a pretty big flaw in the design. You could go back from one area and the alternate room groups weren't in the state they were supposed to be after you cleared them. So the setup was improved and i think it's now 100% error-free, tested it and it worked as intended. As a plus, it's a bit more intuitive to the player.

There's 3 levels left to improve on gameplay now.
Old 25-08-20, 17:51   #980
Topixtor
Historian

I love those frequent updates, get the interest going!
Topixtor is offline   Reply With Quote