Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 02-02-18, 02:41   #11
Feder

Good job with the skin They look better that way! I always thought TR2 enemies look kind of cartoonish, with the exagerated muscles and veins showing everywhere, some even seemed disfigured.
Feder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-18, 18:20   #12
Danath

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feder View Post
Good job with the skin They look better that way! I always thought TR2 enemies look kind of cartoonish, with the exagerated muscles and veins showing everywhere, some even seemed disfigured.
Thanks!
Yeah Bartoli's gang seems to love steroids. They always looked cartoonish to me also. They could fit in the Hokuto no Ken anime!

I started doing the beginning area yesterday and built some rooms, let's see if i can show some screens soon, need to start making a texture set.
Danath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-18, 01:17   #13
Danath

Smile Yay, progress!

I have made some good progress, even if it's just a little portion of the level at least i have most of the objects and textures set. I need to find good interior textures though, the orange wallpaper from original TR2 sucks.

I'm loving how this is taking shape so far, it's also lighted so i'm ready to show some things!
Here's the starting position, you begin the level in an "outskirt" area. You can see the new house textures:

This is what you see when beginning. To the left a "warehouse" and to the right a closed gate you need to open. You can view the distance, where i made some grassy hills so it is a bit decorated:

The trees and bushes are more saturated because the original ones are bland looking.
This is when you cross the gate, the road goes uphill a bit between houses.

It's such a small area, but was a lot of work! Here you can see an editor view of the hills sorrounding it, since it's not accessible i have used triangles so it's smooth:

And here some textures. I have different roof ones, the one in the left is new:

New doors and windows:

And the ones i will use for the city floor, instead of the fugly ones of original Venice ( right one):

I don't know why, but even with having like 45 different statics i'm only using 1520 textures of space! But i have 20 pages between objects and the .tga ( which needs to grow more ) so probably i won't be able to show interiors before the patch.
All images have the improved fov from the current patch.
Old 09-02-18, 07:55   #14
Ligufaca

Cute! I like how colorful everything is.
Haven't played many TR2 styled levels, but I'll def keep my eyes on this project.
Ligufaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-18, 08:57   #15
annl

Lovely! There is a lack of good long TR2 level sets. So I look forward to playing it! Good job so far!
annl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-18, 12:29   #16
thewolf
Golden

Thumbs up

Looks good so far

I think you will not have much problems with the texture count since you build a city. Most textures will not be rotated and mirrored. There are not many different shapes and heights in the blocks. For my venice level I have plenty of space left , even with a lot of objects and statics in the base file. Some of those objects I don't even use.
A little advice from me: I would throw out the uzis because the animation and the weapon itself take a huge amount of textures. I don't know what weapons you will choose or how many you want...... All I can say is that more weapons near the end of your levelset could be a problem for your texture count
But the choice is yours
thewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-18, 18:08   #17
Feder

That city looks really nice Specially with the hills at the background. I like the choice of colors as well, one thing I miss about TR2 is its colorful textures, they make the level so alive!
Feder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-18, 18:39   #18
Danath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ligufaca View Post
Cute! I like how colorful everything is.
Haven't played many TR2 styled levels, but I'll def keep my eyes on this project.
Thanks! I like to have vibrant colors, after all it's a sunny mediterranean city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annl View Post
Lovely! There is a lack of good long TR2 level sets. So I look forward to playing it! Good job so far!
Thank you! Check Feder's The Hidden Dagger for TR2, it has been a big inspiration for me to attempt this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewolf View Post
Looks good so far
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewolf View Post
A little advice from me: I would throw out the uzis because the animation and the weapon itself take a huge amount of textures.
That's a good point, i didn't think those would have so much textures, the M16 should have more!
Hopefully i won't have to sacrifice weapons when the newer patch for the texture limits is ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feder View Post
That city looks really nice Specially with the hills at the background. I like the choice of colors as well, one thing I miss about TR2 is its colorful textures, they make the level so alive!
Thank you! Yes i like good colors, nowadays most games tend to be so bland looking...
Old 09-02-18, 18:50   #19
wmcintosh
Inactive

Looks like fun, looking forward to it.
wmcintosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-18, 18:53   #20
Danath

Hopefully it ends up being a fun level! Thank you.

Edit: I have made very little progress, feeling quite down lately...
And i have also started to bump into the same problem i had in Mystic Realm: vertical room divisions. If i want to make balconies i need to divide the street, and if i divide it in one place i have to divide it in all that horizontal plane... and it means i will need to redo the starting area so it uses less rooms, now that i have it perfectly textured... the limitations of the room connections anger me so much.
So i will keep doing the map and then see how it needs to be divided exactly, it means i probably won't be able to show anything for a long time though. :\

Last edited by Danath; 14-02-18 at 21:57.