www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 25-11-21, 06:34   #9461
dg1995
Archaeologist
 
dg1995's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 1,069
Default

Does it even matter that some TR stories clash with each other ?

All of Capcom's Resident Evil games ,cartoons and novels are canon which adds some inconsistency to the RE lore but Capcom simply ignores the inconsistencies and continues the story forward.(Which SE can do the same thing)
dg1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-21, 06:55   #9462
Chamayoo
Relic Hunter
 
Chamayoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Palace Bananas
Posts: 7,670
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellioft View Post
I disagree look at Shadow they clearly cared about the puzzles and the traversal system with the return of the grapple to make the traversal more intricate.
I agree and maybe it was unwise of me to put all the games of the trilogy. Should I say "most of the trilogy".
But I expect some members to jump at us and said "no they didn't care about combat in Shadow, there is too little of it" which I disagree. There are significant mandatory sections of fights in the game and a skill tree almost entirely dedicated to it. It's just far less than the previous two games.
__________________
Lost Artifact, Beneath the Ashes, Lara's Shadow and Ana Pure Hair for everyone
Chamayoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-21, 07:38   #9463
Ellioft
Professor
 
Ellioft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: France
Posts: 4,541
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamayoo View Post
I agree and maybe it was unwise of me to put all the games of the trilogy. Should I say "most of the trilogy".
But I expect some members to jump at us and said "no they didn't care about combat in Shadow, there is too little of it" which I disagree. There are significant mandatory sections of fights in the game and a skill tree almost entirely dedicated to it. It's just far less than the previous two games.
I understand

Personally if I concider the definitive edition as the final experience for Shadow there's enough combats with all the DLC included at least for me. ^^
__________________
Be positive DAMMIT !

Last edited by Ellioft; 25-11-21 at 07:50.
Ellioft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-21, 09:05   #9464
Mani_Man
Professor
 
Mani_Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Germany
Posts: 4,960
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg1995 View Post
Does it even matter that some TR stories clash with each other ?

All of Capcom's Resident Evil games ,cartoons and novels are canon which adds some inconsistency to the RE lore but Capcom simply ignores the inconsistencies and continues the story forward.(Which SE can do the same thing)
But thats more than likely not what will happen here.
The way they describe it is all over the place, but from what i gather is that they build a new timeline which they build with elements from all the eras.

The timelines will still stay the same, this will be a new one that just happens to have things from all put together.

At least thats how i understand it currently.
Mani_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-21, 12:23   #9465
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider
 
charmedangelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 18,064
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamayoo View Post
Every game and "Lara" will be there, they said this since day one in January. The retcon will just be storylines that are clashing with another ones. I mean this is expected, they can't put everything.
The thing I'm not sure is spin offs. Especially considering LCTOO that couldn't happen in the same world as TR4.
That's the thing, how will storylines be cut yet keep the same Lara. For example if they cut the part of Lara dying in Egypt or going to Egypt at all then how would TR4 Lara be a part of that "all Lara's are Canon". They would have to cut AOD as well as it's a direct sequel to TLR and the game references events directly from that game.

They can't do major retcons without also having to consider cutting a Lara out. I just don't see how that's possible and make it make sense at the same time.

I wish they would reveal a general timeline they are considering so people aren't worried because when he said they had to make some hard decisions, that makes me really worry.
__________________
Always Pondering ; Real Queen ; Anti GOP

Last edited by charmedangelin; 25-11-21 at 12:24.
charmedangelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-21, 12:30   #9466
Jathom95
Explorer
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: United States
Posts: 944
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
That's the thing, how will storylines be cut yet keep the same Lara. For example if they cut the part of Lara dying in Egypt or going to Egypt at all then how would TR4 Lara be a part of that "all Lara's are Canon". They would have to cut AOD as well as it's a direct sequel to TLR and the game references events directly from that game.

They can't do major retcons without also having to consider cutting a Lara out. I just don't see how that's possible and make it make sense at the same time.

I wish they would reveal a general timeline they are considering so people aren't worried because when he said they had to make some hard decisions, that makes me really worry.
It also makes the most sense that if any particular iteration had the least focus, or none, in this "unified" timeline - it'd be Core's. Crystal didn't work on the classics themselves, and they consider LAU their own interpretation of Classic Lara.

If they use anything from the original timeline, it'll probably be superficial at best. LAU and ST are probably where the bulk of this new timeline is going to be influenced by, since they actively worked on those.
__________________
"Rodents, I wouldn't wonder. *Big* rodents."
Jathom95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-21, 12:38   #9467
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider
 
charmedangelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 18,064
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jathom95 View Post
It also makes the most sense that if any particular iteration had the least focus, or none, in this "unified" timeline - it'd be Core's. Crystal didn't work on the classics themselves, and they consider LAU their own interpretation of Classic Lara.

If they use anything from the original timeline, it'll probably be superficial at best. LAU and ST are probably where the bulk of this new timeline is going to be influenced by, since they actively worked on those.
That's what I'm thinking too. I have a feeling given their emphasis on Legend that Legend will be the game that comes after Shadow. Then she will go after the Scion in Anniversary, before finally going after the hammer in Underworld.

Then TR12 will take place after Underworld, the Core games will be completely disregarded.
__________________
Always Pondering ; Real Queen ; Anti GOP
charmedangelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-21, 12:46   #9468
Portugalraider
Relic Hunter
 
Portugalraider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,543
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
That's the thing, how will storylines be cut yet keep the same Lara. For example if they cut the part of Lara dying in Egypt or going to Egypt at all then how would TR4 Lara be a part of that "all Lara's are Canon". They would have to cut AOD as well as it's a direct sequel to TLR and the game references events directly from that game.

They can't do major retcons without also having to consider cutting a Lara out. I just don't see how that's possible and make it make sense at the same time.
I don't think they are going to cut main games from the series.

At most, if they cut anything major it would be any backstory segment that contradicts the current backstory. Namely the teen Lara segments from TLR and TRC, and kid Lara being with Amelia during the plane crash in TRL. And then, only kid Lara really needs to be cut. Cambodia and Ireland can be retconned easily with some minor or major rewrites.

Lara's almost dying it Egypt won't have that kind of problem because technically it happens in current Lara's future. Hell, I'd argue that the classic games are the easiest to unify, simply by how independent of Lara's backstory they usually are. The only thing that will need a sort of a rewrite is how Lara first establishes a relationship with Von Croy. And we know he still exists, since Von Croy is in Reloaded. Besides dates and the teen Lara segments, everything actually shown during the classic games can easily still occur exactly as it was shown ingame.

Honestly, the games that will be harder to adapt will be Legend and Underworld. And even those can still happen with either major rewrites into the whole Amelia situation, or with just a simple "Lara goes after Excalibur, then after Mjolnir, while establishing a heated rivalry with her former friend Amanda. Natla gets involved as well".
__________________
Not an expert, but if you have any covid vaccine question, DM me.
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-21, 17:17   #9469
Chamayoo
Relic Hunter
 
Chamayoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Palace Bananas
Posts: 7,670
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
That's the thing, how will storylines be cut yet keep the same Lara. For example if they cut the part of Lara dying in Egypt or going to Egypt at all then how would TR4 Lara be a part of that "all Lara's are Canon". They would have to cut AOD as well as it's a direct sequel to TLR and the game references events directly from that game.

They can't do major retcons without also having to consider cutting a Lara out. I just don't see how that's possible and make it make sense at the same time.

I wish they would reveal a general timeline they are considering so people aren't worried because when he said they had to make some hard decisions, that makes me really worry.
It feels unnecessary to cut Lara's supposed death in TR4 as it didn't interfere with any storylines. I agree with Portugalraider, all the basic storylines of the main games could easily be there (except for Temple of Osiris). We could bet Unified Lara has the Scion, dagger of Xian, Infada Stones, Spear of Infinity, Obscura paintings, Excalibur and Mjolnir in her manor (or broken or whatever ). Now the youth of Lara on TR4 and TRL should be rectified, as well all the family story in LAU, and maybe also other characters. That wouldn't erase any main games or Laras.
__________________
Lost Artifact, Beneath the Ashes, Lara's Shadow and Ana Pure Hair for everyone
Chamayoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-21, 17:41   #9470
malferink
Archaeologist
 
malferink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,157
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellioft View Post
I disagree look at Shadow they clearly cared about the puzzles and the traversal system with the return of the grapple to make the traversal more intricate.
How do you think the grapple hook made things more intricate? I believe shadow still has some very simple platforming. it's pretty hard to mess things up, and when something does go wrong it isn't the player's fault in my experience
malferink is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 21:04.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.