www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat > Arts and Entertainment

Old 10-12-15, 21:25   #2891
Cochrane
Golden

Why did the Doctor and Clara have to do that memory wipe lottery thing together? I mean, they had resolved all issues, everything was clear, and then suddenly, "Let's do this thing (that we agreed not to do) together and see who gets hit!" I don't get it.

Part of me really wants to see the new spin-off show, "Clara Oswald and Aria Stark's awesome space adventure!" Though the more I think about it, the less certain I am. I don't hate Clara (anymore); she really became much better once they stopped making everything about her as the most special leaf in the universe and just had her as a normal, bossy, thrill-seeking, compassionate, flawed and interesting person. But her story is told, and I'm not sure the Tardis-as-a-diner concept holds that much more.

Although, maybe, with more of a focus on guest stars that come into the diner, wherever it happens to be, and tell their stories, and then the girls decide what to do…

Nah, not really. If Moffat still has original ideas, he should use them for main Doctor Who, and stop giving us "In a near-future research station, people keep dying!" for the four-hundredth time. All I really want is more Maisie Williams, because she can be amazing, and Game of Thrones gives us way too little of her, and way too much (meaning any at all) of Theon Greyjoy. Why? He was an asshole, then a murderer, then he got an overly cruel but by no means undeserved punishment, and I'm okay with that. I don't want to see his redemption arc. I'll always hate the guy. I fear future seasons of Doctor Who won't show us her ever again, and that will be a shame.

Overall: A lot of great things in this episode and the one before, but I can't help but feel that Doctor Who is running on empty. There aren't enough cool ideas coming anymore. This can be hidden, sometimes (surprisingly often) by strong character dynamics, but the problem isn't going away. I suggest they replace Moffat with Jeremy Clarkson. What's the worst that could happen?
Old 10-12-15, 21:35   #2892
jajay119
Tomb Raider

The most annoying thing about the memory thing is that the Doctor still clearly, to an extend, remembers Clara; he remembers her name and remembers travelling with her not to mention he realised she had a tardis and saw her face on his tardis at the end of the episode. The Doctor, while having taken the back seat this season to Clara in being the smart one, is not thick - surely he would have figured this out? I mean, she even asks him where his TARDIS is and he still doesn't realise? I'm sorry but to me that's just incredibly poor writing.

When the Doctor wiped Donna's memory he said any reminder of who he was would bring back her memories and burn her up; so... why has Clara virtually hit him with an obvious bus and he still doesn't get it? It's just poor writing.

While I don't think the series is running on empty I do think Steven Moffat is and I really wish he'd hand over the reigns to someone else; the series really needs new blood and Moffat can go back to concentrating on Sherlock so its fans get more than one season every 4 years.
Old 10-12-15, 21:49   #2893
Hyper_Crazy
Tomb Raider

I like the theory that the Clara the First Doctor met when he was leaving Gallifrey wasn't a splinter of Clara but the actual Clara returning to die, she then recommends that he should take her Tardis with the dodgy navigation and chameleon circuit.
Other than that the ending was rather silly, but at least she still does die though, I can take comfort in that.

Last edited by Hyper_Crazy; 10-12-15 at 21:50.
Hyper_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-15, 21:54   #2894
Tombraider95
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post
The most annoying thing about the memory thing is that the Doctor still clearly, to an extend, remembers Clara; he remembers her name and remembers travelling with her not to mention he realised she had a tardis and saw her face on his tardis at the end of the episode. The Doctor, while having taken the back seat this season to Clara in being the smart one, is not thick - surely he would have figured this out? I mean, she even asks him where his TARDIS is and he still doesn't realise? I'm sorry but to me that's just incredibly poor writing.

When the Doctor wiped Donna's memory he said any reminder of who he was would bring back her memories and burn her up; so... why has Clara virtually hit him with an obvious bus and he still doesn't get it? It's just poor writing.

While I don't think the series is running on empty I do think Steven Moffat is and I really wish he'd hand over the reigns to someone else; the series really needs new blood and Moffat can go back to concentrating on Sherlock so its fans get more than one season every 4 years.
Yeah I agree, it did seem a bit weird. The whole jumping back and fourth in the episode from the diner to present makes it more confusing. It's confusing enough with the series being about time travel. But why the diner? Just reused from series 6, but why? Would of been better if he had 100% no trace of Clara at all, just like Donna did with the Doctor.
Old 25-12-15, 17:24   #2895
Jami393
Tomb Raider

Did anyone catch the Christmas special?
Old 25-12-15, 17:59   #2896
sackboy123
Tomb Raider

Ye I did, it was amazing and loved all the River Song story References like the Pandorica and Night and The Doctor although I'm quite sad we'l never see River again
Old 25-12-15, 22:02   #2897
Mad Tony
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jami393 View Post
Did anyone catch the Christmas special?
Yeah - it was garbage. The River Song thing is so tired now. Also thought the sexist jokes were a bit unnecessary too. To be fair, I'm not one to be easily offended by jokes but you just know the BBC would never allow those sorts of jokes if they were reversed.
Old 25-12-15, 22:03   #2898
Jami393
Tomb Raider

They finished her story though. From after that point in time, she goes to the Library, and the rest they call history.

Last edited by Jami393; 25-12-15 at 22:10.
Jami393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-15, 22:19   #2899
Mad Tony
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jami393 View Post
They finished her story though. From after that point in time, she goes to the Library, and the rest they call history.
I expect they'll keep on beating this dead horse for a little while longer yet.
Old 25-12-15, 23:06   #2900
xcrushterx
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Tony View Post
I expect they'll keep on beating this dead horse for a little while longer yet.
They can't. This version of River didn't know the Doctor had any other faces, so the only way they can bring her back is if there's another story between this one and the library, but I doubt it. This episode brought her story full circle and provided some closure. She's done.