www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat > Arts and Entertainment

Old 04-01-21, 16:43   #3791
Chamayoo
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post
Amelia Pond waited 12 years and didn't seem to hold a grudge for as long as Yaz and Ryan. Like, sit down, please

I dont know what that scene was meant to achieve but it made me dislike them a bit.

Also, I'm going to give John the benefit of the doubt. I was very dubious of Catherine Tate at first but Donna Noble was, and I dont mean to be dramatic, one of the best things to happen to the series.
The Girl Who Waited VS The Fam Who Clearly Not Waited
How I forgot about Donna/Catherine Tate, my favourite companion. Good instance.
Old 04-01-21, 16:48   #3792
Tombraider95
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamayoo View Post
Now thinking of it, Billie Piper was good and before Doctor Who she was only seen as a teen popstar.
I remember finding out she was a singer on the back of a NOW album and my mind was blown.

Quote:
Amelia Pond waited 12 years and didn't seem to hold a grudge for as long as Yaz and Ryan. Like, sit down, please

I dont know what that scene was meant to achieve but it made me dislike them a bit.
Yeah it was such a weird scene. I expected them at first to be thrilled with plenty of hugs and then suddenly switched and hit her (affectionately) and been like...

Then the Doctor would have explained she was in PRISON for many years and they would have understood and forgiven her. But then I guess why couldn't she just have appeared right after she dropped them off? I dunno.

Either way, they all seemed to hold a grudge and was just sulking about it throughout the episode. 10 months safely on Earth is not a bad thing.

Quote:
Also, I'm going to give John the benefit of the doubt. I was very dubious of Catherine Tate at first but Donna Noble was, and I dont mean to be dramatic, one of the best things to happen to the series.
Nothing but truth here
Old 04-01-21, 17:54   #3793
Zelda master
Tomb Raider

Donna is still the best new modern companion in my book and a much better Doctor than 13 is, and she was the Doctor for a whopping... Five minutes?
Also, Bradly was the best thing that happened to series 11 and 12, half the time I feel he isn't even acting anymore, but the guy is pretty much always the highlight.
Old 05-01-21, 00:41   #3794
Rai

I enjoyed the special . I do agree with others, the "fam's" (grits teeth) reaction to the Doctor's return was unnecessary and harsh. "I've been in space jail", "That's cute, you left us for ten months" *sulks for eternity*. I get it, she has a Tardis, she could have timed it better, but she'd just escaped prison (with no resistance from the Jadoon weirdly), I doubt she had time to think, it was get in the Tardis and go. Otherwise I was engaged throughout, though it had small issues. Getting other daleks to deal with the human -made dakeks was genius . I really liked Yaz's near obsession on looking for clues to try and find the Doctor, it was quite poignant.

I'm sorry to see Ryan and Graham go, but, tbh, I reckon they'd done all they could with them as characters. I don't know who John Bishop is, I can only wait and see. I don't want Jodie to go yet, if the rumours are true.

Last edited by Rai; 05-01-21 at 00:43.
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-21, 00:56   #3795
sackboy123
Tomb Raider

I loved the special. I'm also among the minority that also loves Jodie as The Doctor and the whole current era of Doctor Who. I loved the Timeless Child arc and that finale, it even links in with the whole Brain of Morbius and the planned arc of having the 7th Doctor being a God back in the 80's so it's nothing new for this story.

I do love how it adds more mystery to The Doctor, we now know nothing about her at all, and with the whole Fugitive Doctor on top of that; I still think she's part of the Season 6B theory where The 2nd Doctor worked for the Division for a while after the Season 6 finale - The War Games. The next time we see The 2nd Doctor in The Three Doctors, The Five Doctors and The Two Doctors also takes place after the Season 6 finale, so he didn't go straight to Earth to regenerate and worked for UNIT.

I did love the New Year special, each episode just keeps getting bigger and the whole Doctor trying to change the subject and talk about the Daleks again when Rose gets mentioned is a nice subtle hint that The Doctor hates talking about her past. I did love the Gwen reference though, maybe we might get Torchwood back; Chris was a headwriter afterall so it could happen.
Old 05-01-21, 11:41   #3796
jajay119
Tomb Raider

I can't be doing with people commenting that 'Jodie showed women can be heros too'. Seriously, have you been watching with your eyes and ears shut? The ironic thing is that its clearly a statement aimed at being feminist but in my opinion is very un-feminist as it degrades the performance of every other woman in Who just because they weren't in the role of The Doctor.

Rose broke into the Tardis and absorbed its essence without any regard for her own safety to get back to the Doctor and risk death at the hands of the Daleks when she got there because she wanted to help and repay the doctor.

Martha literally walked across the entire earth spreading the gospel alone and in a time of apocalypse.

Donna forced the doctor to save the people of Pompei when he wouldn't, the entire universe depended on a hinge moment in her life where she killed herself on the sheer hope that it would create a better world for everyone.

Michelle Gomez' Miss goes on a redemptive arc and learns to fight alongside the Doctor for good and stands up to an incarnation of herself she would have know wouldn't listen.

Even a character such as Harriet Jones, who in the grand scheme wasnt very major, delivered a major memorable moment in drawing the Daleks to her knowing she would die so Torchwood could have more time.

The list goes on.

The doctor does noble things, I won't lie. But its easy to risk your life when you know you have another one waiting. Its easy to lead when you have the brains and tbr tech. Its another to lead in a time of crisis when all you have to go on is wanting to do the right thing and you know the shot you have is the only one you'll ever get.

Who has shown since the beginning, and probably in thre old run no doubt, that women can be heros too and in fact sometimes they can be more hero than the doctor is.

Ok rant over.

Last edited by jajay119; 05-01-21 at 13:08.
jajay119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-21, 12:26   #3797
Tombraider95
Tomb Raider

Quote:
I can't be doing with people commenting that 'Jodie showed women can be heros too'.
omg yeah I saw that kind of stuff all over twitter, acting as if Jodie is the first female protagonist for a tv show in history. wtf. But as you said, there's plenty of female characters on the show that can be labeled as a "hero". It's crazy how much people are swooning over this era of the show when it's the worst yet.

Had a bit of an argument with someone yesterday who was excusing the fact the festive special could only get not even 5 million viewers because it's a childrens show and how everyone is streaming online now. They were saying how the show only targets children and how nowadays there's more than 3 channels. (There was more than 3 channels back in 2005. This argument made no sense)

But sorry no. Firstly, Doctor Who is a family show, not a children's show. Secondly, Strictly Come Dancing managed to achieve 13 Million viewers for the final in December and Doctor Who couldn't get half of that. So blaming it on streaming services is silly.

Some people are in denial about the ratings constantly dropping and won't accept the real reasons for it.
Old 05-01-21, 13:14   #3798
Zelda master
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by sackboy123 View Post
I loved the special. I'm also among the minority that also loves Jodie as The Doctor and the whole current era of Doctor Who. I loved the Timeless Child arc and that finale, it even links in with the whole Brain of Morbius and the planned arc of having the 7th Doctor being a God back in the 80's so it's nothing new for this story.
The thing with The Brain of Morbius, when the storyline changed, was that the easy explanation was that the incarnations you saw were actually those of Morbius instead of The Doctor. They confirmed it was the original intend, but that simply changed when a new script editor came about and that ended up being scrapped and they went into another direction. And another theory that can help with the retcon theory is that, while the Doctor collapsed, Morbius was the one that received the (literal) blast to the face. And considering the battle started with Morbius's faces, then went to the Doctor's. Simple explanation for the other faces is that they switched back to Morbius.
That in the end also leaves the giant plothole open about the 12 regenerations, seeing how The Doctor never received any more regenerations until his 11's incarnation. Plus of course, if those were The Doctors regenerations before the first Doctor, he would supposedly have remembered those, but considering 13 admits that she doesn't remember any more incarnations whatsoever throws another wrench in the idea that that can work.

And no, Andrew Cartmel never intented for The Doctor to be a literal god, but (as he puts it in one of the documentaries) a God like being, or to quote his exact wwords: "half-glimpsed demigod(s)". He was considering putting the Doctor next to Omega and Rassilon as one of the founding fathers of Gallifrey, but John Nathan Turner was strongly against it. And much like the Morbius storyline, that entire arc was thrown out the window due to circumstances. Honestly, the less we know about The Other, the better. Gallifrey is not interesting if we learn everything about it and leaving some mystery around the Doctor is only a good thing.

Plus, let's not open up the other cans of problems regarding the problems this current story opens up. Why does River Song have regenerative abilities when currently only Time Lord seem to give them or take them away now (the old explanation is that you get it by looking into the time vortex, but that seems to now have changed)? If the Doctor has unlimited regenerations by nature, why would he not feel that he would have the energy anymore with 11, and what about Susan? So The Doctor now is technically a literal God? So Omega didn't invent space/time travel? So is Tecteun or The Doctor now The Other, because that would cause there to be four founders and not three.

And can we agree that Tecteun is technically a serial child murderer?

The entire thing why The Doctor works is because (s)he's a madman in a box going on adventures. We don't need answers regarding the Doctor, all we need to know is that they travel through time and space to do the right thing. Best thing is having them revolve around the mysteries, and not have the mysteries revolve around them.

But that's just how I see it

Edit:
I do need to add, Chibnall can still have a interesting story in mind and the next series can do great stuff. But as it stands, I absolutely loath what he's pulling...

Quote:
I can't be doing with people commenting that 'Jodie showed women can be heros too'. Seriously, have you been watching with your eyes and ears shut? The ironic thing is that its clearly a statement aimed at being feminist but in my opinion is very un-feminist as it degrades the performance of every other woman in Who just because they weren't in the role of The Doctor.
Reminds me of them pulling the garbage with the last Terminator film, showing that the protector being a woman also shows how strong woman can be... Meanwhile, the original two Terminator films and the show...

Last edited by Zelda master; 05-01-21 at 13:16.
Zelda master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-21, 13:22   #3799
jajay119
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombraider95 View Post
omg yeah I saw that kind of stuff all over twitter, acting as if Jodie is the first female protagonist for a tv show in history. wtf. But as you said, there's plenty of female characters on the show that can be labeled as a "hero". It's crazy how much people are swooning over this era of the show when it's the worst yet.

Had a bit of an argument with someone yesterday who was excusing the fact the festive special could only get not even 5 million viewers because it's a childrens show and how everyone is streaming online now. They were saying how the show only targets children and how nowadays there's more than 3 channels. (There was more than 3 channels back in 2005. This argument made no sense)

But sorry no. Firstly, Doctor Who is a family show, not a children's show. Secondly, Strictly Come Dancing managed to achieve 13 Million viewers for the final in December and Doctor Who couldn't get half of that. So blaming it on streaming services is silly.

Some people are in denial about the ratings constantly dropping and won't accept the real reasons for it.
Do you know, I am actually really thankful of the inclusion of Jo Martin's fugative doctor? I'm glad because now all the neigh Sayers whose only line of defense for not liking Jodie and not liking this era is 'omg, you're only saying that because it's a woman - sexist' now have to shut up as there is a lot of support for Jo Martin who is also a woman.

There are so many calls on social media for Jo to be given the role and I for one would love it. In her small time as The Doctor she showed a much more interesting portrayal than Jodie. It may take some back-peddling to get it to work but that's never been an issue before (and honestly retconning the Timeless Child arc to be some sort of lie The Master concocted in the Matrix might be for the best) but I would love her to have a full series.

I've always felt Jodie was chosen to make a point rather than her being the best fit for the character. I've always felt she was chosen because she was an easy choice for Chibnall who worked with her on Broadchurch. A female doctor never bothered me but a female doctor to make a point does. Jo Martin being given the role would be lovely because I feel she would own the role regardless of gender or race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda master View Post

Reminds me of them pulling the garbage with the last Terminator film, showing that the protector being a woman also shows how strong woman can be... Meanwhile, the original two Terminator films and the show...
Oh don't get me started on that one; they take what is probably the strongest female character in cinema and pull that crap. No thanks. Genisys might have had it's issues but at least it allowed the Character of Sarah to continue to own her legacy.

Last edited by jajay119; 05-01-21 at 13:28.
jajay119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-21, 13:38   #3800
sackboy123
Tomb Raider

The regenerations come from prolong exposure to the Time Vortex. Time Lords start the process at the age of 8 (Sound of Drums). But we never actually learn how long it takes.

Amy was also the first pregnant companion in the series as well, so with River being conceieved in the Vortex and soaking in the Artron energy (Background radiation) starting from a fetus and then growing into a child from there could explain how River can regenerate.

We know nothing about the Timeless child, where they're from, how they can regenerate. We know The Doctor was thrown from the boundry, but where does that boundry lead to. For all we know it could lead into the Vortex, the Doctor could literally be a child of the Vortex or an unknown species that live in the Vortex. We know about the Eternals, toymaker etc that have lived beyond time itself. Maybe The Doctor is a part of the Eternal immortal group.

The Doctor might have started with infinite regenerations, but they wiped the memory and in the process might have used the same genetic code used in other Time Lords to restrict the process to 12 times. Then Time of the Doctor comes along and because the Time Lords are a selfish race and just want to survive, even having plans to destroy time itself and live in the Vortex (End of Time) we can assume that they took away the restriction and made The Doctor 'timeless' again.

Brain of Morbius is still on The Doctor himself though, they has always been long discussion on it that it has always intended to be The Doctor himself. Phillph Hinchcliff even stated himself that it was always suppose to be The Doctor and fans chose to ignore this. Morbius even states himself "how many lives have you lived". They were also theories that they belonged to The Other, who is connected to The Doctor in some way.

At the moment, I don't really care much anymore. It's been almost 60 years now, I think it's time we start to know bit more about The Doctor if only more questions come into place. This is what I love about the Timeless Child arc, it adds a whole new mystery to the character which will play a huge role in 2023 for the 60th.
Chris did have a 5 year plan, but that's probably failed due to the Pandemic and difficulty filming, so it could be extended slightly.

I'm just hoping the Weeping Angel episode next season links in with the whole arrival arc from the cancelled Class.