Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Video Games

Old 30-04-19, 18:59   #21
RequiredField

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebsenuef View Post
Does anyone still have their old consoles?
I have all of them except the PS1.
Buy at least one, you won't regret having it once the prices go up (for all retro machines - this will happen some day).
I have never had that console during my childhood but bought a used model recently and I treat it with respect - that means having it stored in a shelf when it's not used and moving it delicately and carefully. I don't want to risk an accidental drop after all!
Also it would be nice to have a trusted friend who knows a bit about electronics and will be able to help with fixing it once something breaks. (I do NOT know. I only know how to break stuff when tearing it apart )
RequiredField is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-19, 20:53   #22
Zelda master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnay View Post
Are you ****ing serious

CD format has been around since the 1982 ( when the first one came out). Since then your PS360 has it, your PS2 has it, the original XBOX has it, your 52878353629 DVD and CD Players support it, the amount of PC’s who still have a disk as of now, the PS1 etc etc

It’s like the Wii U, that doesn’t support DVD’s and Nintendo gave a logical response as to why.. because your household has a couple of DVD players
I could've agreed, but Sony is one of the original designers of the CD format... So why not include it? It costs literal pennies these days.
Zelda master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-19, 10:47   #23
_Seth

On PS5 I would very much like:

Ratchet & Clank: Classic Trilogy
Ratchet & Clank: Future Saga
_Seth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-19, 08:12   #24
_Seth

Thought it'd be good to post a video on everything we know so far. This channel is very informative and PlayStation centric:

_Seth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-19, 09:24   #25
jajay119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda master View Post
I could've agreed, but Sony is one of the original designers of the CD format... So why not include it? It costs literal pennies these days.
I have never, not even once, put an audio CD into my PS4 or my PS3. I may not have even done it for my PS2. I am willing to bet a great many others are the same. With the increase in digital distribution and even with the resurgence of older media such as cassette and vinyl the CD is not the media powerhouse it was except for a minority. I don’t think they see the point. To have to know when to draw the line and move on: you cannot live in the past forever and keep trying to shove outdated technology into every new thing.
jajay119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-19, 12:46   #26
DragonSlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Seth View Post
I've posted this before but I do have a revised wishlist for the PS5.
  • 4K Blu-ray disc drive.
  • PS1, PS2 and PS4 disc-based compatibility with boost mode for each. (Expecting PS3 compatibility would be unreasonable due to it's unique architecture, tbf.)
  • Built-in media player with medium and fast fast-forward options, the current one only goes super-fast. The ability to save music and videos to the hard drive would be nice.
  • A 5TB option at launch.
  • Longer lasting controller battery life. (Maybe if they reduced the touchpad size a bit.)
  • XMB menu to return, or a customisable menu where you can hide all the endless clutter the PS4 has.
  • The PS1 startup sound.
I agree about the bigger size hard drive being available at launch, Sony should have known that the games would get bigger over time and released the original PS4s with bigger hard drives available from day one add to that DLC and update patches which can take up a lot of space, I had to delete Mass Effect Andromeda and The Last Of Us to make room for Days Gone patches.

I definitely agree about a longer lasting battery life they don't need to reduce the touchpad size to improve the battery life they just need to remove the annoying light on the controller that serves no useful purpose, I've heard some say that the light is used to determine the health of a games main character something which can easily be figured out by looking at the screen and not the controller light.

I've turned down the light level on my PS4 controller to dim and I didn't see any reduction in brightness, it's still as bright as it was when I got my first PS4 controller.

The battery life of the current controllers would be massively improved if Sony would remove the unnecessary light, sometimes after I've charged the controller it'll go as low as one bar in less than 7 hours, that has happened twice so far and the battery life has gotten worse since they added that second light on the touchpad, someone on here told me that the second light was for PSVR, they should have created a PSVR specific controller as not everyone is going to be interested in PSVR.

I could install a bigger hard drive if I wanted to but A I can't afford a bigger hard drive and B if I could afford one I wouldn't want to go messing about inside my PS4 because I don't want to risk doing something that might break my PS4 as it's my primary source of entertainment.

The one feature that they must include with the PS5 is the capture gallery it's my favourite feature on PS4 and one I wish the PS3 had, it makes taking pictures and recording video much easier.

They shouldn't include stuff that people most likely won't use like that playroom thing whatever that was, has Sony not learned anything from the forced Singstar icon on PS3 that nobody wanted or asked for.
DragonSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-19, 12:52   #27
Zelda master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post
I have never, not even once, put an audio CD into my PS4 or my PS3. I may not have even done it for my PS2. I am willing to bet a great many others are the same. With the increase in digital distribution and even with the resurgence of older media such as cassette and vinyl the CD is not the media powerhouse it was except for a minority. I don’t think they see the point. To have to know when to draw the line and move on: you cannot live in the past forever and keep trying to shove outdated technology into every new thing.
My problem in that logic lies in a simple place, why support DVD than and not support BDXL (with the Pro)? Barely anymore purchases films anymore and streams it all, that tech was also already 16 years old (for consumers, older for the industry itself) when the PS4 released, along that with the fact that the difference between a CD/DVD/Blu-ray drive is literally just the lens. Hell, for CD/DVD support you can even use the same lens with a change on the vocal length, there's a reason why every single drive still comes with CD support, because it costs nothing and the hardware is capable of it simply by the way they're designed. Killing support for legacy hardware, just because, makes no sense. I would've agreed if music wasn't still released on CD, but that's still being done and sold all over the place.

Sony went out of their way to drop the support instead of including of just including it. But on the other hand, they also completely dropped music support until they added it through a firmware update with USB support. So who knows what the hell they were thinking.
Old 21-07-19, 14:32   #28
rewak

Quote:
My problem in that logic lies in a simple place, why support DVD than and not support BDXL (with the Pro)?
Because Sony were just releasing their first 4K UHD player when the Pro was coming out and they didn't want their standalone player competing with the Pro.
rewak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-19, 15:02   #29
Zelda master

Than did the PS3 include standard blu-ray? That was also mere months after the launch of the format.
Old 21-07-19, 15:36   #30
Trenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewak View Post
Because Sony were just releasing their first 4K UHD player when the Pro was coming out and they didn't want their standalone player competing with the Pro.
Quote:
Than did the PS3 include standard blu-ray? That was also mere months after the launch of the format.
( with the original Blu-ray format Sony, being part of the blu-ray disc founder group had skin in the game from the very beginning and truly wanted to see blu-ray becoming a success (and winning in the format war against HD-DVD) and including it with the PS3 was important to them as part of that strategy).

I think it's more a matter of Sony not yet having an overall strategy for 4K blu-rays at the point when they were creating the PS4 Pro. The format was still in its infancy at that stage and perhaps Sony were unsure if it would be a success in these days of streaming etc. IDK.
Today 4K discs, while still something of a niche product, have succeeded the sales expectations and Sony Pictures are now one of the companies that are really pushing the format, spending a lot of money on catalog releases etc.

So I wouldn't be too surprised to see the PS5 having the ability to play back 4K blu-ray discs (since the Xbox One X/S already has this capability and particularly if Scarlett gets it as well), but for some reason I equally wouldn't be surprised if it turns out it doesn't.
Trenton is offline   Reply With Quote