Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Video Games

Old 19-11-19, 21:12   #11
JayB18

Just came here to reccomend this game. Best explanation I can give is it is try the game if you want reboot TR but with fantastic level design and exploration reminiscent of dark souls/bloodborne, some cool environmental puzzles, and Sekiro lite combat.

Edit: I'm in a huge tomb now and its massive and filled with multiple chambers and paths, multiple clever puzzles, exploration, tricky platforming and traps. Id say it's better than any tomb in the reboot trilogy.

Last edited by JayB18; 19-11-19 at 21:55.
JayB18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-19, 04:47   #12
laracroftswest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuna´s Wish View Post
I've read it's a bug fest.

Since you are all fellow raiders, how does it compare to Shadow (only in that department)?
I experienced more buggy issues with Fallen Order (playing on PS4) but there wasn't anything game breaking. My only issue on my first playthrough of Shadow was an audio bug during a cutscene.

Anyway here are my thoughts from the main SW thread:

I completed the game last night and overall it was a really fun game, potentially my favorite Star Wars game after KOTOR 1 and 2 & the Lego Saga. Cal and BD-1 are a really awesome pair and I hope we get to see more of them, I just don't want them to suffer the Rogue One fate...I'd much rather see them recluse on another planet...they're too good to die like that! /spoiler

Happy EA made a full single-player experience that has some good heart to it. I'll take 10 of these before we get another multiplayer game.
laracroftswest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-19, 15:43   #13
Samsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuna´s Wish View Post
I've read it's a bug fest.

Since you are all fellow raiders, how does it compare to Shadow (only in that department)?
I am playing it on a gaming laptop. I have noticed a few stuttering issues but that is it so far.

Fewer issues than I had with Shadow played on the same rig.
Samsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-19, 17:59   #14
Lara_Fan1

I’ve faced two problems; Sometimes it seems I’m playing faster than game as time to load, it’ll freeze whilst it saves (i assume) so the rest of the game can load. I’ve also noticed low graphical textures here and there.

It’s still a great game, I wasn’t expecting to enjoy this game as much as I am atm.
Lara_Fan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-19, 18:17   #15
JayB18

Double post by mistake.

Last edited by JayB18; 20-11-19 at 18:20.
Old 20-11-19, 18:19   #16
JayB18

Have to say this game is what I kinda wished the newer Tomb Riader games would be. Both tombs I did were massive with multiple puzzles, traps, and chambers. Platforming although automatic often requires some timing or use of powers. Exploration is required to figure out where you are going and the level design is interconnected and mazelike. Finally there are secrets to find and many require solving mini puzzles or platforming challenges. It's almost more of a tomb raider game than Tomb raider.
Old 22-11-19, 13:29   #17
charmedangelin

Just came to say that the media agrees that the game feels much more like a true Tomb Raider game than anything the reboots had to offer.

https://thenextweb.com/gaming/2019/1...b-raider-game/
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-19, 13:37   #18
anniversarytr11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayB18 View Post
Have to say this game is what I kinda wished the newer Tomb Raider games would be. Both tombs I did were massive with multiple puzzles, traps, and chambers. Platforming although automatic often requires some timing or use of powers. Exploration is required to figure out where you are going and the level design is interconnected and mazelike. Finally there are secrets to find and many require solving mini puzzles or platforming challenges. It's almost more of a tomb raider game than Tomb raider.
Totally agree with this. The level design of Fallen Order is so clever, very reminiscent of Bloodborne/Dark Souls mixed with Uncharted and Tomb Raider.
I strongly feel that this is the direction Tomb Raider should take going forward. 4-5 big levels that have a semi-linear map that has intertwining, maze like design with backtracking and clever puzzles and much less combat. It would fit perfectly with Tomb Raider.
anniversarytr11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-19, 15:27   #19
Samsdad

A recent patch seems to have fixed the few stuttering issues I saw. Slowly but surely playing through the game and enjoying very much. It is easy to get lost in the large tombs and it takes a while to get used to using the holograph map that is your guide to the level layout.

There was one ice slide that I thought was a death trap until I noticed a very thin vertical line on the map. Sure enough there was a rope at the end of the slide that blended well with the background and you could line up your slide and jump to that rope at the last minute. Took a little while to figure that out.

The light saber is of course your major weapon and force abilities are added as the game progresses. The protagonist remembers these abilities which I assume he repressed in the time he was on the run. I do wish that there was a bit less emphasis on cosmetic rewards for exploration and more on more useful benefits (I would love a sniper weapon or any ranged weapon for that matter).

I have to guiltily confess to not having played any of the Bloodborne/Dark Souls games, but if they are similar to SWJFO then I will have to put them on my list. Retiring at the end of this year so my gaming time should go up a bit

Last edited by Samsdad; 22-11-19 at 15:43.
Samsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-19, 16:00   #20
laracroftswest

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
Just came to say that the media agrees that the game feels much more like a true Tomb Raider game than anything the reboots had to offer.

https://thenextweb.com/gaming/2019/1...b-raider-game/
I wouldn't say one media outlet I've never heard of validates that opinion.

It's a fun game and there are some things I'd love to see added to TR, but it's funny to see people completely dismiss an entire trilogy just because of some added exploration
laracroftswest is offline   Reply With Quote