Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 15-06-19, 18:16   #81
Melonie Tomb Raider
Golden

The LC series was just classic-skinned, there was nothing classic about the gameplay or even Lara's personality. She was LAU Lara with classic Lara's outfit.

CD has never made anything faithful to classic TR or Lara Croft for that matter. LAU was a little closer, but they turned her into a Barbie doll basically.

TR needs in new hands for sure, or at least the current hands need to rethink everything they thought they knew about Tomb Raider and bring a team of fans from TRF to consult with.

Last edited by Melonie Tomb Raider; 15-06-19 at 18:18.
Melonie Tomb Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-19, 18:19   #82
Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombraider95 View Post
Just give TR to someone who can make a true Tomb Raider experience and who understands Lara Croft as a character. No more building up to something which was completely wasted imo.
Oh god so much of this. The mechanics were ALWAYS there y'all, they are professional game developers. If they could make it work in LAU in PS2 what limited them in the PS3/PS4? This is just frustrating and disappointing. What a shame, on them, of course.
Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-19, 18:19   #83
Tombraider95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft Raider View Post
You shouldn’t have to relegate the source material to spin offs and low budget titles, while an entirely new IP gets to come in and take over the brand name, that’s so ridiculous.

It’s always bugged me that this idea of classic TR only being allowed to exist in spin off titles and the LC series has become normal on here. It’s not normal for a developer to make a new IP and slap an already existing franchises name on it and then relegate what that franchise used to be to low budget arcade spin off titles.

I don’t think it needs to be indie for it to be faithful to the source material. It just needs to be with a developer that gives a **** and wants to be faithful and accurate to what the franchise was.
I agree. I don't want Tomb Raider to be a AAA game anymore either, as it focuses more on trying to appeal to the general public with plenty of explosions and cinematic gameplay, then actually trying to create something which resembles it's original design.

I'd rather a smaller company make something worth the name "Tomb Raider" that has a lower budget but knows it's target audience, rather than trying to please everyone. Just because it has a lower budget doesn't mean it will sell badly, it could do extremely well especially if it plays the nostalgia card, given we haven't had a Tomb Raider game with it's original design since 2003.
Tombraider95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-19, 18:20   #84
CroftManiac05

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomblover View Post
Or, they could resurrect the LC series - but I suppose they wouldn't, since ToO had an underwhelming response, and that's absolutely not because of the ROTTR exclusivity fiasco that was concurrent to its release or anything...
I remember back in 2014 or 2015, there was a thread (I think it was in Eidos Forums) with the title : "Rise is XBOX exclusive. Time to boycott Temple of Osiris". Sadly, the non guilty games are the ones that pay for the stupidity of other games.
CroftManiac05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-19, 18:27   #85
Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroftManiac05 View Post
I remember back in 2014 or 2015, there was a thread (I think it was in Eidos Forums) with the title : "Rise is XBOX exclusive. Time to boycott Temple of Osiris". Sadly, the non guilty games are the ones that pay for the stupidity of other games.
Pretty sure the exclusivity deal was the one that dug their grave and not a "boycott" thread.
Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-19, 18:32   #86
NoahCrofRaider

Quote:
I don't know if you meant for this to come off as back handed, but it definitely does, lol.

“aww, the classic fans can have the little low budget games, they make them in the corner over there with the scraps and left overs, it’s so cute.”

You shouldn’t have to relegate the source material to spin offs and low budget titles, while an entirely new IP gets to come in and take over the brand name, that’s so ridiculous.

It’s always bugged me that this idea of classic TR only being allowed to exist in spin off titles and the LC series has become normal on here. It’s not normal for a developer to make a new IP and slap an already existing franchises name on it and then relegate what that franchise used to be to low budget arcade spin off titles.
I get where you’re coming from, but frankly, this mentality frustrates me a little. It comes off to me as a spoiled brat which will throw a fit if something isn’t their way.

“You want a cookie? Okay, here you go”
“But... it’s a fudge striped cookie, not a Chips Ahoy!”

Of course, I’m not saying this is how people act about it, but I do feel like this state-of-mind comes off as a bit entitled. You want this one thing and the person gives it to you, but since it isn’t exactly like what you wanted it, down to a T, you get peeved off. Obviously, I think the main games do seriously need to come closer and closer to the source material, but I feel that will only ever happen so much.

In a spin-off, they can eat their heart out and make the game older fans have wanted for so long.
NoahCrofRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-19, 18:45   #87
Tombraider95

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahCrofRaider View Post
In a spin-off, they can eat their heart out and make the game older fans have wanted for so long.
I think the point is, it shouldn't need to be a spin off. Lara Croft was as big as Mario, Link etc... and they're still leading their own games now as their original design.

I am quite jealous of franchises like Mario that have stuck to their concept throughout the years and fans are still very much enjoying the new games that get released all the time! Whereas Lara/Tomb Raider is stuck in this half Uncharted half Horizon Zero Dawn concept that has spoilt it for me.
Tombraider95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-19, 18:45   #88
Nigel Cassidy

Quote:
It’s not normal for a developer to make a new IP and slap an already existing franchises name on it and then relegate what that franchise used to be to low budget arcade spin off titles.
I think it's pretty common actually. Pretty much every game or film these days has the name and a number of iconic features from a beloved old franchise while actually being a badly written creatively bankrupt piece of crap full of identity politics.

And as for the LC series: yeah it's not perfect, but beggars can't be choosers...
Nigel Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-19, 18:46   #89
CroftManiac05

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahCrofRaider View Post
Ok but why does it need to be a spin off though? Wouldn't it be better if one studio was making Reboot games and another studio was making classic/LAU inspired games with the same attention? (Even though I think it would be better if SE just threw Reboot in the trash can, if they have the option to please both sides, then why not? )

Also, I don't understand people saying they miss old school TR gameplay when there are tons and tons of great TRLE levels out there (and I've downloaded countless levels myself). I know classic fans want to see classic TR gameplay to return in the main series, but at least there is something. LAU has nothing except for 3 games and 2 spinoffs that don't really have the same gameplay.
CroftManiac05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-19, 18:57   #90
NoahCrofRaider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombraider95 View Post
I think the point is, it shouldn't need to be a spin off. Lara Croft was as big as Mario, Link etc... and they're still leading their own games now as their original design.

I am quite jealous of franchises like Mario that have stuck to their concept throughout the years and fans are still very much enjoying the new games that get released all the time! Whereas Lara/Tomb Raider is stuck in this half Uncharted half Horizon Zero Dawn concept that has spoilt it for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroftManiac05 View Post
Ok but why does it need to be a spin off though? Wouldn't it be better if one studio was making Reboot games and another studio was making classic/LAU inspired games with the same attention? (Even though I think it would be better if SE just threw Reboot in the trash can, if they have the option to please both sides, then why not? )

Also, I don't understand people saying they miss old school TR gameplay when there are tons and tons of great TRLE levels out there (and I've downloaded countless levels myself). I know classic fans want to see classic TR gameplay to return in the main series, but at least there is something. LAU has nothing except for 3 games and 2 spinoffs that don't really have the same gameplay.
I agree with that to a degree. I would have definitely preferred if they stuck with the original design, although simultaneously, I’m very glad it didn’t because it took forever for people to realize she isn’t just a blown up sex doll who plays with guns.

It’s a mixed bag, really. I think a spin-off would work better now in some ways, at least if people are still going to complain about a bigger focus on puzzle and exploration, but it also may not be necessary, if such a game was well received as Breath of the Wild.
NoahCrofRaider is offline   Reply With Quote