Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 09-11-19, 15:54   #21
cephasjames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb Raidering View Post
I see a lot of confusion around the forums regarding the dev/publishers’ relationship with TR.

Developer studios Core Design and Crystal Dynamics were under the publisher Eidos Interactive. Then a British publisher company named SCi bought Eidos Interactive, owning the studios and the IPs. Then SCi openned a game studio called Eidos Montreal, which had no relation with Eidos Interactive apart from developing video games for them. Now there were 4 game studios under SCi/Eidos Interactive (IO Interactive, Core Design, Crystal Dynamics, Eidos Montreal). Core Design got sold off and Square Enix began offering biddings to acquire SCi/Eidos. Eventually they acquired the company, renaming Eidos Interactive to Square Enix Europe. Everything is mostly the same, apart from re-naming and moving offices...

On a side note: I wonder how it would have been if Core Design’s selling was postponed until Square Enix’s acquisition? Would SE had helped them re-flourish?
Great post! I would also add that, probably, SE determines when TR games are released and how they are advertised. Just like Sony (who owns Naughty Dog) determines when ND games are released and how they are advertised. Sony, seemingly, is willing to give more leeway to their developer than SE. Thus ND gets to push back TLOU2 while CD/EM got what they got.
cephasjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-19, 16:59   #22
jajay119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb Raidering View Post
I see a lot of confusion around the forums regarding the dev/publishers’ relationship with TR.

Developer studios Core Design and Crystal Dynamics were under the publisher Eidos Interactive. Then a British publisher company named SCi bought Eidos Interactive, owning the studios and the IPs. Then SCi openned a game studio called Eidos Montreal, which had no relation with Eidos Interactive apart from developing video games for them. Now there were 4 game studios under SCi/Eidos Interactive (IO Interactive, Core Design, Crystal Dynamics, Eidos Montreal). Core Design got sold off and Square Enix began offering biddings to acquire SCi/Eidos. Eventually they acquired the company, renaming Eidos Interactive to Square Enix Europe. Everything is mostly the same, apart from re-naming and moving offices...

On a side note: I wonder how it would have been if Core Design’s selling was postponed until Square Enix’s acquisition? Would SE had helped them re-flourish?
I always thought Sci was American, not British. Hence why TR was given to an American developer in the first place. It’s bizarre they’d send an institution of British gaming across the pond.

Last edited by jajay119; 09-11-19 at 17:02.
jajay119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-19, 17:04   #23
Tomb Raidering

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post
I always thought Sci was American, not British. Hence why TR was given to an American developer in the first place. It’s bizarre they’d send an institution of British gaming across the pond.
Really? I’ve once read somewhere that it was ‘London-based.’ Ah well... Thanks for correcting (or confusing? )... ^.^

EDIT: Didn’t find the ‘London-based’ one, but these shall do...
Quote:
Shortly thereafter, the small but financially strong UK publisher SCi Games tabled a counter offer,
Quote:
Another suitor emerged for Lara Croft on Tuesday as SCi Entertainment, the UK games publisher

Last edited by Tomb Raidering; 09-11-19 at 17:08.
Tomb Raidering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-19, 17:07   #24
jajay119

No, it was British you’re correct. I had a quick check. But I just thought since they took TR to an American studio they were an American company.

Also, as of this year SE has been I charge of TR for 10 years!

Last edited by jajay119; 09-11-19 at 17:10.
jajay119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-19, 17:13   #25
suli
Inactive

Crystal made legacy of Kain and Gex before TR. Both were published by Eidos.. their working relationship precedes TR.
suli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-19, 17:19   #26
Tomb Raidering

Quote:
Originally Posted by suli View Post
Crystal made legacy of Kain and Gex before TR. Both were published by Eidos.. their working relationship precedes TR.
I was talking about TR specifically. ‘Cause some people think that ‘Edios’ developed the Classics, Crystal Dynamics developed the LAU, and Square Enix developed the reboots...
Tomb Raidering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-19, 17:39   #27
charmedangelin

I would say after recent events I would wish for more community engagement. More openness and transparency. Not that I'm curious about day to day operations or anything like that, just every now and then an update if something is delayed or if something isn't going to happen with a few reasons as to why. No need for anything else beyond that.

In regards to Tomb Raider I could accept certain changes as long as they acknowledge and respect all that came before it. Imo I believe that respecting the fanbase is important because they are the ones who really see a franchise through both thick and thin.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-19, 23:09   #28
XXIIXX
Inactive

I agree. They really need to work on communicating with us a bit more.

They were doing good as long as the DLC kept coming but then this abrupt and awkward pause. Radio silence forever... I wish this sort of thing wouldn't happen going forward.
XXIIXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-19, 19:24   #29
TRF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtis666 View Post
[LEFT]The next Tomb Raider will be the final chance for this franchise to retain itself in the gaming market, it needs to be good and financially successful, it needs to bring back classic fans to the franchise and also bring newcomers.
I think THIS is the most important thing for them to do right now.

Many people aren't happy the way the Reboot is going and they are missing there LARA.

And the end of SotTR, many expected to have the Dual Pistol back, but it didn't. So in order to get the Classis fans back, the might re-imagen Lara yet again, but fit the old and new one.
TRF is offline   Reply With Quote