Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 05-12-19, 00:20   #11
Chamayoo

A lot of excellent ideas around here ! Studios should look to this thread for inspiration.

• Combat

- Keep manual aim
    - Less human enemies, or at least a balancing between them and animals and supernatural
    - Every species to be comprehend differently, a bit of strategy should be fun
    - Less dependency to cover. Though I would like a button assigned to the action
    - Not only four weapons with a lot of properties to it. I prefer a greater number of them with unique properties for each of them
    - Be able to fight underwater
    - Hand to hand combat, Lara to improvise with the environment
    - Be able to shoot while climbing

• Traps

- No slow motion, or optional for lower difficulties
    - No ropes and even less shiny ones please
    - As original as those from Shadow's DLC
    - No moderation, I would like a lot of them and varied ones
    - Dangerous environment, I would like Lara to burn in real time or be poisoned
    - Timed run, I admit I like it

• Platforming

- Things that look climbable, should be climbable
    - Less linear and two dimensional way for traversal. A good and complex use of the environment
    - Don't be shy : add a lot of new capacities ! I'm always hungry for more and more !
    - Jump distance to count, depending of momentum. When you walk, run or sprint, the jumps should not be the same
    - Get rid of any attraction, magnetisation or whatever similar... for good ! No scripted sequences as well, or at least greatly reduced
    - I'm keen for the return of manual grab, don't mind to be optional
    - Varied things to climbs and that should look different everytime. Vines, poles, chains, ropes, etc...

• Exploration

- Key/object searching, with a meaningful combination system. Don't hesitate to steal Resident Evil in this case
    - Some gentle backtracking, I like them
    - Complex level design, interconnected levels and rooms
    - Always a mix of platforming, combat and puzzles at the same place at the same time
    - Less ammos in the main path, hide them !
    - Vehicles to return and not only the bike. We could use them for platforming too

• Puzzles

- The end of rope arrows, or significantly reduced
    - Giant puzzles with numerous sub-puzzles into it
    - No vocal or visual hints at all, only exclusive to lower difficulties
    - Mandatary puzzles and not optional

• Secret system

- Meaningful rewards. We should win special weapons, special objects, special outfits, cutscenes, funny cheat codes, etc...
    - Keep the journals but make them fewer
    - No caches or obsolete ressources that made little to no impact
    - Hide them better, keep the minimum in the main path
    - I would add that when you find backpacks, your inventory (that is limited in this case ) will grow each time
    - Another thing but from my imagination. I would call that "investigation scenes", really similar to those from the Batman games. Lara would analyze several clues, with archeological comments. When she would collect all the clues from the place, she would be able to reconstitute a narrative. It would unlock a special cutscene, a little documentary telling the historical past of the local and told by Lara

• Story

- No more family issues
    - Surprising plot twists
    - Keep archeology and historical plot to be important
    - Keep friends minimal this time
    - No white knight complex

• Other

- Health and oxygen bar to return, as an option if possible
    - No slow walk, no automated gameplay. A clear difference between cutscenes and playing
    - No regen health when loading a save
    - Manual flashlight or flares
    - Manual crawling please
    - Globetrotting !

...This is all that I can think of for now.

Last edited by Chamayoo; 05-12-19 at 00:33.
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-19, 00:25   #12
CosmoCroft

• a new voice actress
  • a time skip so Lara can look tougher and more mature
  • better hair, please pull it out of her face
  • overhauled animations so she looks more graceful and coordinated
  • dual pistols
  • locations like Greece in TRI where most things are still functioning and put
    together just crumbling, also that's very deep underground so you get a
    a sense that you're delving in deep
  • no talking mid-game, this includes Lara talking to herself and other characters over the radio
  • NO FORCED WALKING/CRAWLING
  • no outfit restrictions. PERIOD.
  • no more skill trees. Upgrades and gear improvements are fine though

Since we are probably never going to get a TRII remake (or a TR 1-4 remaster/remake ala Crash) I thought of something to incorporate elements of TRII into the potential survivor trilogy sequel. The plot is that the Fiamma Nera cult was once a part of Trinity but they split due to conflict (maybe like how Trinity wanted to reshape the world but they wanted to move the world forward kinda like Natla? IDK). This means that Trinity is dead but the Fiamma Nera cult is still active. They were aware of Lara during the events of the survivor trilogy but didn't help because they saw Trinity as a hindrance. After failing to get the Dagger of Xian, they approach Lara (ala Larsson in TRI) for help. (Here I thought they could introduce a character that's like the golden child of the cult who kept failing to get the Dagger and the leaders chose to bring in Lara, which frustrated Golden Child and thus they have a rivalry eventually leading to a boss fight). Lara agrees to retrieve the dagger under false pretenses. She makes her way to the Temple (maybe Marco could say something like, "if you can reach the entrance then I'll know I'm not wasting my time". Lara does so but along the way discovers things to cause her to question Marco and eventually it blows up and it becomes Lara vs the Cult and follows along with the same location storyline. She goes to Venice to get more information and find Marco, she gets captured > oil rig > Maria Doria > Monastary > Temple, you get the idea. Maybe Home, Sweet Home could be a secret level for collecting all relics or something.
CosmoCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-19, 20:39   #13
SancOfScion

*Humor, vibrancy, etc. The last trilogy was a bit of a depressing slog.
*No more bow/axe, or at least limit them to the first act. She's done "surviving", she needs her real weapons back.
*No more lost civilization hubs. It's made the last three games feel like a little bit of a retread.
*Something crazy like time travel or dinosaurs. Or both! The franchise should never take itself too seriously.
*Core continuity reinstated at least partially. Maybe have a time skip where it's implied that she's been on TR1-3's adventures in some way.
*Confident and cocky Lara. She should be badass, not mopey and running around with her tail between her legs.
*Vehicles!
*Optional "classic" hud/controls option including a non-regenerating health meter, breath bar, etc.
*Lower stakes. Every game involving the end of the world or some other such catastrophe is tired. I'd love a smaller narrative that was just a cat-and-mouse globetrotting adventure.
SancOfScion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-19, 23:54   #14
Costel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SancOfScion View Post
*Humor, vibrancy, etc. The last trilogy was a bit of a depressing slog.
*No more bow/axe, or at least limit them to the first act. She's done "surviving", she needs her real weapons back.
*No more lost civilization hubs. It's made the last three games feel like a little bit of a retread.
*Something crazy like time travel or dinosaurs. Or both! The franchise should never take itself too seriously.
*Core continuity reinstated at least partially. Maybe have a time skip where it's implied that she's been on TR1-3's adventures in some way.
*Confident and cocky Lara. She should be badass, not mopey and running around with her tail between her legs.
*Vehicles!
*Optional "classic" hud/controls option including a non-regenerating health meter, breath bar, etc.
*Lower stakes. Every game involving the end of the world or some other such catastrophe is tired. I'd love a smaller narrative that was just a cat-and-mouse globetrotting adventure.
Ok I admit that Reboot Lara has moments when she is not confident but when did she run with her tail between her legs?
Costel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-19, 23:56   #15
LaraCablara

A really emotional and sad Lara, with waves upon waves of enemy waves and combat, a story about her father again, only tribal outfits, no Croft manor, gigantic skill tree, no chapter replay, automated platforming, set piece upon set piece.

Just to watch the forum burn
LaraCablara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-19, 04:20   #16
Donoman

I agree with most of what everyone has said, so I'll focus more on what I want from our lovely protagonist. I would like her personality to change to reflect more of what she was like in TR1-3 and LAU. Have her be witty, good with people, and more intrigued with difficult situations. Instead of her saying "damn damn damn!", or "that was too close", have her say "hmmm, seemed easy enough" or "I've still got it". Have her be cocky, she should be, she's great!

Also when it comes to animations I'd like to see more of the acrobatics that were in Anniversary and Underworld.

https://youtu.be/QWOo35-F9VE

They were a little choppy in 2008, but with today's technology and how prevalent gymnasts are, having an acrobatic Lara is long overdue! Her animations are fine now for a rookie, but now that the origin story is over she needs to be move like a pro.

-Get rid of scramble and just keep the forward roll, scramble looks dumb af.
-Slow down the climbing animations just a tad and make them look pretty! Bring back the handstand for funzies!

Bring forth melee combat. Have her be good at karate or something, idk, anything but the pickaxe, it's so lame as a melee weapon; the way she swings it is also icky.

Edit: Oh yeah I forgot to add since I didn't see anyone mention this. The 2-player mode in Shadow is hella fun, but some of the tombs are really buggy/annoying and trying to do the time attack isn't too fun (I could just be bad tho). I would like to see more puzzles that involve another person, and for the love of all things let us see each other's outfits! Just bring Doppelganger Lara back into the story somehow and it'll work.

Last edited by Donoman; 10-12-19 at 04:39. Reason: Forgot one more point
Donoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-19, 04:34   #17
SancOfScion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costel View Post
Ok I admit that Reboot Lara has moments when she is not confident but when did she run with her tail between her legs?
I concede that I may have embellished a little bit there.

In general I just don't like how moody Reboot Lara tends to be. In trying to give her more "personality" they actually kinda made her insufferable.

No more dreary campside monologues!
SancOfScion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-19, 05:45   #18
charmedangelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaraCablara View Post
A really emotional and sad Lara, with waves upon waves of enemy waves and combat, a story about her father again, only tribal outfits, no Croft manor, gigantic skill tree, no chapter replay, automated platforming, set piece upon set piece.

Just to watch the forum burn
A masochist through and through I see........
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-19, 09:17   #19
killchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donoman View Post
Also when it comes to animations I'd like to see more of the acrobatics that were in Anniversary and Underworld.

https://youtu.be/QWOo35-F9VE
I miss this, and I remember trying to do these in Nicobass's demo . Pretty cool to do from time to time but had practical use during gameplay.

Even in the classics you had to either be extremely confident or have a deep enough knowledge of the level in order to traverse the world using sidejumps and crazy flips. Basically you had to beat the level at least once, and that's a scenario most developers don't want to consider because, well, almost nobody plays the same game twice so the game needs to be compelling enough during the first blind playthrough.

What I'd really love to see is a game where this kind of moves are necessary, but at the same time viable. Manual mid-air slowmotion would allow the player to make decisions (quite literally) on the fly.

Some people like to think 'compromise' is the only way to make a game a large and entry-level audience can embrace. It isn't. That's the lazy way.
Just give the players more tools to be good at the game and make 'em understand they need them , so that you won't need to make the game easier for the player. It's called balance.
And also, slo-mo is always unmistakably badass.

Last edited by killchan; 10-12-19 at 15:08. Reason: it's the weather
killchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-19, 19:54   #20
dg1995

You mean TR 13 ?

Because Shadow is TR 12.
dg1995 is offline   Reply With Quote