Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 22-09-19, 18:06   #1
biscuits

Default Is the reboot going to continue?

I recall reading a Spanish magazine (during Shadow's promotion way back in April of 2018), in which Daniel Chaýer Bisson confirmed that they'd continue doing standalone reboot Lara adventures (which I would love).

With the reboot's overall success, both critically and somewhat commercially, I do believe that it will continue. I also think the movie sequel being released in 2021 is very much still a reboot movie.

What everyone wants for the future is different. Lots of us want classic remakes. A lot of us also want a new LC game. Lots of people are also clamoring for a new reboot. But what do you think is most likely to happen?

I personally believe that the reboot will stay around. Shadow isn't this huge flop that everyone claims it to be. It wasn't critically panned either. Being less successful than it's predecessor certainly doesn't mean it's a commercial failure. 5 years and a crap ton of money have been spent on establishing this new iteration of Tomb Raider. Lots of fans despise it, true, but the reboot series also reviewed well and won lots of awards. You can't call it a failure. But I may be wrong.

I don't know if Square is smart enough to capitalize on the remaster or remaking trend. For all we know, they may mistake LAU for classic Tomb Raider and remake those instead.
I do believe a new LC game might come about. I can feel it

Again, this isn't about what we want to happen. It's about what you predict will happen.
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-19, 18:10   #2
_Seth

I predict, realistically, a stand-alone reboot game where Lara and the game is visually styled to lean towards classic TR or LAU, but it will still obviously be reboot Lara and that universe. It will be primarily developed by Montreal.
_Seth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-19, 18:26   #3
Trenton

I predict one standalone reboot game within the next 2-3 years. Depending on how well it does they may continue making more games in the style of reboot universe.
I think as long as Hollywood keeps making TR movies in the style of the reboot games Square will want to keep the videogames somewhat in the same style to keep it a more visually consistent franchise overall.

What I personally want is of course something different, but that's not what this thread is about.
Trenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-19, 19:03   #4
Daft Raider
Inactive

The reboot games have been “successful” critically, not so sure about financially, but after the release of Shadow, and how quickly the public forgot about it, diminishing returns is very evident. Personal bias/opinions aside, I truly don’t believe the reboot universe will continue for very long. There’s nothing captivating about Lara’s current character and there’s nothing about the world that’s very interesting. There’s barely even a consistent timeline from the first reboot to Shadow, there’s been too many retcons for this trilogy to even feel like one, but I digress.

I think we’ll get maybe a couple more reboot style games, but ultimately we will eventually see another reboot or TR will be shelved until they can figure out a new game plan. I personally don’t see the next movie doing very well, Hell the first one didn’t even make its money back, I’m surprised we’re even getting another. I think the writing is very much so on the wall, this iteration of TR is very much on its way out.

Last edited by Daft Raider; 22-09-19 at 19:04.
Daft Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-19, 19:13   #5
biscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft Raider View Post
The reboot games have been “successful” critically, not so sure about financially, but after the release of Shadow, and how quickly the public forgot about it, diminishing returns is very evident. Personal bias/opinions aside, I truly don’t believe the reboot universe will continue for very long. There’s nothing captivating about Lara’s current character and there’s nothing about the world that’s very interesting. There’s barely even a consistent timeline from the first reboot to Shadow, there’s been too many retcons for this trilogy to even feel like one, but I digress.

I think we’ll get maybe a couple more reboot style games, but ultimately we will eventually see another reboot or TR will be shelved until they can figure out a new game plan. I personally don’t see the next movie doing very well, Hell the first one didn’t even make its money back, I’m surprised we’re even getting another. I think the writing is very much so on the wall, this iteration of TR is very much on its way out.
I do agree with the diminishing returns part. For a while now, I've been saying that the games haven't been innovating enough. Stagnation and Blandless is exactly what keeps killing Tomb Raider. It dates back to the Core Design days.
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-19, 19:27   #6
Chamayoo

I like to compare Shadow with TR3/TR4 about reputation. Critics are a bit less enthusiastic, as well as a small fatigue from general public but still have a solid following. It's definitely not Chronicles but I believe if the next game is too similar with no significant updates it would dangerously learn toward it.
However I don't worry about it, Square noticed the series isn't currently "novel enough" (tbh I was fine with it for Shadow) so I expect some changes in the future. I'm pretty sure still in the reboot universe but new theme and new trademarks. New but recognizable.
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-19, 19:41   #7
Cochrane
Golden

Haven't finished Shadow yet, has Lara become the Tomb Raider yet and figured out what the deal with her dad is? If not, then I guess the reboot will continue.

I have thoughts about this but no real opinion. Basically I think Square Enix will do whatever looks like the safest approach to get more money and more hype. Will that be something like e.g. SPECTRE, i.e. an attempt to act like this has been a whole Cinematic Universe all this time, because cinematic universes make all the money? Or will this be another reboot, because reboots and origin stories are popular? It seems to me like the movie industry has gotten slightly tired of reboots, but that may just be my imagination, and who knows when this'll translate to video games either way. I could almost see them going the God of War/Bioshock/Last of Us route, where an old Lara has to teach her daughter how to raid tombs, but realistically, I think that's already a bit too daring for SE.

Narratively, they've kind of painted themselves into a corner here, because in their universe Lara only adventures because either of past trauma or because of trauma she's suffering from right now. But they did already wring two games out of dealing with her father's legacy and unexpected sudden death, so why not a third? Or hey, maybe Lara's mom's legacy could make an actual appearance instead of just appearing in the "Gone Home" rip-off DLC. I still feel like they could do something about Lara's own legacy instead of just her dealing with the legacy of others, maybe. But another game of finding out why and how her dad actually died seems like the safest option, unless they decide that the current universe isn't bringing enough money in anymore.
Cochrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-19, 19:43   #8
tomee

They're going to change direction, incorporate new popular features and discarding dated ones. Dark and gritty themes are getting less popular, while RPG elements can be seen frequently in newer games. These are just examples. It's going to be made in a way where it's still Reboot Lara obviously, but with a new spin, a new direction and new flavour to the series.

Contrary to what - surprisingly - almost everyone says, I can't see any more reboots happening in the near future, just the series gradually changing to suit contemporary demands. I don't really see TR getting shelved either. It's been one of the most reliable, consistent source of income for Square in the past several years. No way are they discarding it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft Raider View Post
The reboot games have been “successful” critically, not so sure about financially, but after the release of Shadow, and how quickly the public forgot about it, diminishing returns is very evident.
Shadow didn't live up to the previous games, but there's no denying that both TReboot and Rise did fantastically both critically AND financially.

Quote:
Hell the first one didn’t even make its money back, I’m surprised we’re even getting another.
It didn't? I know it flopped domestically, but it did very well in foreign territories especially in China. I could've sworn I read it was okay overall when you combine domestic and foreign.

Last edited by tomee; 22-09-19 at 19:46.
tomee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-19, 19:44   #9
Grimaldi

I think it will which suits me fine. I’m not sure what their priorities will be though. Is the next pillar release going to be a remaster? Will the reboot continue as a smaller project while that happens? Will the LC games have a third sequel?

That’s the part that’s most up in the air for me. The reboot continuing is next to certain, but what form that’ll be in, how it’ll look/play, be budgeted/prioritised, I’m not sure.
Grimaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-19, 19:52   #10
Legends

Hopefully not.
Legends is offline   Reply With Quote