Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 22-09-19, 19:57   #11
JsotoTRSaga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends View Post
Hopefully not.
I second this.

Either a full return to classic or a hybrid between old and new but definitely not what we have now. The series needs serious changes, there are decisions that were made for the reboot that shouldn't have been made in the first place.

Last edited by JsotoTRSaga; 22-09-19 at 19:58.
JsotoTRSaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-19, 20:08   #12
tomee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends View Post
Hopefully not.
I hope it will.
I want to see you make hundreds of posts once again about how much you hate a game you didn't buy and play.🤡
tomee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-19, 20:19   #13
Tomb Raidering

A stand-alone game that bridges the old with the new could work wonders for me. I want the focus to shift from this dramatic dark tone to an light hearted LAU-esque (exclude Underworld ) one.

I want TR Legend to be at least something to get inspiration from. The music, the globetrotting, the tone, Lara herself, vehicles. I don’t want this new Lara to go completely Classic, that would feel wrong. But having fun from her adventures and going through some fun adventures should be the focus.

They need to revamp the animations to match a Tomb Raider who became what she was destined to be. This is an unpopular opinion, but I like the shimmying and ledge-hopping animations. They’re sort of a part of Lara now since Legend. I just want those particular animations to stay (but be polished). The others can be updated. A more confident walk (like AoD) and a realistic Classic jump (is it possible? I think so...) would benefit both the gameplay and Lara’s character.

The outfits. I think Rise and Shadow’s modern outfits are nice. But they’re a bit manly-like (especially Shadow’s). They could re-imagine some outfits from the Classics and Legend (Nevada, double denim, AoD long pant, Legend motorcycle jacket).

These seem like a demand but it’s just my opinions
Anyway, SE/CD/EM could (and should) hybrid the Reboot and Classic formula...
2021-2022 seems like a plausible release date for the game........

Last edited by Tomb Raidering; 22-09-19 at 20:22.
Tomb Raidering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-19, 20:26   #14
Underhoe

I知 pretty confident the survivor era will go on a little while. And I predict the next game痴 big woo will be completely transitioning into open-world, which I would personally hate of course.
Underhoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-19, 20:35   #15
tomee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underhoe View Post
I知 pretty confident the survivor era will go on a little while. And I predict the next game痴 big woo will be completely transitioning into open-world, which I would personally hate of course.
Eww, I can totally see them doing this. There seems to be an unwritten pissing contest between companies to make larger and larger open world games just for the novelty.
tomee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-19, 21:49   #16
Samz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomee View Post
They're going to change direction, incorporate new popular features and discarding dated ones. Dark and gritty themes are getting less popular, while RPG elements can be seen frequently in newer games. These are just examples. It's going to be made in a way where it's still Reboot Lara obviously, but with a new spin, a new direction and new flavour to the series.

Contrary to what - surprisingly - almost everyone says, I can't see any more reboots happening in the near future, just the series gradually changing to suit contemporary demands. I don't really see TR getting shelved either. It's been one of the most reliable, consistent source of income for Square in the past several years. No way are they discarding it now.
Tomb Raider with even more shoe-horned in RPG elements, that'd be a massive red-flag for me.

Reboot probably will continue, because its profitable unfortunately.
Samz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-19, 21:57   #17
charmedangelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
Tomb Raider with even more shoe-horned in RPG elements, that'd be a massive red-flag for me.

Reboot probably will continue, because its profitable unfortunately.
With added microtransactions.

You wanna explore that tomb, well Lara's level needs to be high enough. Of course you can grind by normal means, although that could take a while, but we do provide the option to pay just a low amount of $9.99 for the ultimate adventure pack and with it you will be rewarded enough EXP to level up to complete the tomb.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-19, 22:11   #18
Portugalraider

Yes, it is going to continue.

Most probably with some changes in to gameplay, to make it fresh, hopefully with a narrative tone (and Lara) more similar to the reboot comics, but it is going to continue.

Like it or not, the reboot was a success. Even SotTR, which is the "low point" of the trilogy critically and commercially, still had fairly good reviews and fairly good sales. Not the best, but 4 - 4.5 M copies shipped in 4 months, not including digital sales, are still great numbers.
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-19, 00:22   #19
NoahCrofRaider

I believe we値l get a standalone adventure as the bare minimum, but beyond that, I知 not sure.

I do love the reboot, but I知 honestly not too sure how long it値l last if they don稚 try to be more innovative with each title. It also needs to decide what it値l be and stick with it, no more going in one direction for a game before going backsies.
NoahCrofRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-19, 01:24   #20
Boobandie

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Seth View Post
I predict, realistically, a stand-alone reboot game where Lara and the game is visually styled to lean towards classic TR or LAU, but it will still obviously be reboot Lara and that universe. It will be primarily developed by Montreal.
That's probably the most likely scenario. As much as the new Lara leaves a bad taste in some aspects, it would be a mistake to reboot again. Two reboots, with two similar arcs, in six games? It'd be like they can't write beyond a parent-origin trilogy.

So full steam ahead, lets play some new games with this new version of Lara, and hope the parts of her characterisation we don't like slowly fade off into irrelevancy.

Remakes of the classic games would probably be a mistake, those deserve either a visually different remaster along the lines of Crash and Spyro if they keep their current form and pacing(thank you PS1 mascots for making this a trend), or if they must be adapted to the new universe then they should be drastically rewritten from the major story beats and locations. Perhaps an "Adventures of Lara Croft" type game that covers some adventures from TR3, and Chronicles. The artefacts in TR3 could easily be separate treasures, as the game was initially written as an anthology anyway, and Chronicles is already short standalone adventures.

Last edited by Boobandie; 23-09-19 at 01:25.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote