Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 27-11-19, 17:50   #231
Samz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiz19 View Post
Well, we've entered a period where if a developer is going to make a cutscene, story heavy game it needs to be more than just a good game. There are so many games that have come out in the recent few years with amazing stories, and gameplay. They tell and show them well.

There is no more hiding behind convoluting a dull story that makes no sense for the sake of it trying to come across as interesting. Which is my opinion of Rise and moreso Shadow, which is probably why it ranked the lowest. I actually like the gameplay a lot (minus the hideous combat and walking sim moments), but the stories are absolutely trash. They try to be epic, try to have dramatic emotional moments, but almost always falls flat. Sure you may feel some kind of emotion when Unaratu dies, but in reflection it's absolutely dumb and makes no sense. We knew her for five minutes, has the most minimal amount of 'character development' but has some dramatic death to try and invoke sadness from the gamer. It's so fake it actually hurts. Then things are said and done that lead nowhere. For example, Constantine's stupid bleeding hands, Lara being 'morally grey', the world is apparently ending, and a myriad of other things.

If Square wants to push Tomb Raider into being a story heavy franchise - which I don't think it should be, but if they do they need a lot more focus and give way more of an effort. Start with removing Lara as the central part of the story and have it focus on the amazing mythologies out there she's discovering. I love Lara, but she needs to tell the story, not be the story.
That's why I disliked Konstatine and 2013, I am all for story-heavy games if they're done well but I'm not one of those people who will go "Oh its a video game!" when a supposidly realistic character in an apparently realistic setting can take more punishment than a Jojo character without dying.

IMO if you have a game with barely any cutscenes and such, I can tolerate a weak story but when you start compromising the gameplay/having a ton of cutscenes, I start holding them to the same standards I do with Movies/books.

Last edited by Samz; 27-11-19 at 17:56.
Samz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-19, 00:39   #232
Aikon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persefone View Post
I honestly hope TR stays dead for a while, I'm tired of seeing them **** it up every single time
I agree.
Pulling the plug is a better choice than the decisions they've made for Tomb Raider since 2014.

No way in hell Shadow would have been released in that state and promoted that way if people working on it actually cared about the game.

They don't care, players won't as well.
And Shadow's pretty poor performances reflect everything surrounding it.
Aikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-19, 00:43   #233
Athukraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aikon View Post
I agree.
Pulling the plug is a better choice than the decisions they've made for Tomb Raider since 2014.

No way in hell Shadow would have been released in that state and promoted that way if people working on it actually cared about the game.

They don't care, players won't as well.
And Shadow's pretty poor performances reflect everything surrounding it.
Facts. I'm giving them one final chance. If TR4 won't deliver, nothing else will.
Athukraz is online now   Reply With Quote