Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 23-09-19, 07:21   #21
Vaskito

Yup, it will continue for sure.

I've read they've hinted they'd make standalone adventures after the origin trilogy was over, so that's what I'm mostly expecting (I don't mind trilogies either, but seeing so many people in here against it, I'm also fine with standalone adventures, as long as they're big, and complete).

I expect the next game to be a soft-reboot, in regards to the gameplay mechanics. As someone suggested above, I also expect them taking Lara on a lighter attittude, in the likes of the Comics side of her.

Them ditching the work they went through with the reboot is 100% unrealistic IMO.

IF they resort to desperate measures to bring attention, at most they'll make a personality transplant, and make Lara act ouf of character of her reboot persona, and resort to sex appeal to sell - I hope it doesn't go the point of they resorting to the easy way out
Vaskito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-19, 08:53   #22
killchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
I recall reading a Spanish magazine (during Shadow's promotion way back in April of 2018), in which Daniel Chaýer Bisson confirmed that they'd continue doing standalone reboot Lara adventures (which I would love).
OH so you mean before Shadow got John Cena Body Slammed by half of the fanbase.

I'm quite sure something has changed in their minds since then (yeah yeah, I know more recently they said they were happy and all, but ehi did you expect to see them cry during the promotion tour of the DLCs?)... but I agree, like it or not, reboot will continue at full force:
At the end of the day , it's easier to make a better game than Shadow and still retain the big casual audience than risk the hardcore route and make a game most people might not even BEAT.
killchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-19, 09:31   #23
Ellioft

Yes they will continue with Lara reboot, you don't make three game about a version of the character to be ditched just because some peoples are asking for one iteration of the character to comeback.
Ellioft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-19, 09:45   #24
Alex Fly
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends View Post
Hopefully not.
Same here. Unfortunately I'm expecting them to continue with stand alone games. =/
Alex Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-19, 10:10   #25
rewak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellioft View Post
Yes they will continue with Lara reboot, you don't make three game about a version of the character to be ditched just because some peoples are asking for one iteration of the character to comeback.
Like they did after the LAU trilogy?
rewak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-19, 11:20   #26
Vaskito

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewak View Post
Like they did after the LAU trilogy?
LAU trilogy wasn't a fresh start. It was clear from the beginning that they were hindered by the previous games, and were forced to make something similar/familiar, but making it fresh and modern. They, themselves have said they were somewhat uninspired while making LAU, which is why they've started thinking on a complete, fresh reboot even before Underworld was released.

I adore LAU to death (those are the TR games I've replayed the most), but it's pretty clear that those games were uninspired and lacking depth and especially direction.

Last edited by Vaskito; 23-09-19 at 11:22.
Vaskito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-19, 11:35   #27
biscuits

Tomb Raider Legend started out as an AOD sequel
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-19, 12:57   #28
UroshUchiha

I'd rather they didn't continue. But they probably will sadly.
UroshUchiha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-19, 15:04   #29
rewak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaskito View Post
LAU trilogy wasn't a fresh start. It was clear from the beginning that they were hindered by the previous games, and were forced to make something similar/familiar, but making it fresh and modern. They, themselves have said they were somewhat uninspired while making LAU, which is why they've started thinking on a complete, fresh reboot even before Underworld was released.

I adore LAU to death (those are the TR games I've replayed the most), but it's pretty clear that those games were uninspired and lacking depth and especially direction.
But at the end of the LAU trilogy the slate was completely clean, the storyline was wrapped up and they were free to take Lara anywhere. Then we got the reboot, and now we're in exactly the same position. That's what worries me, we've been here before and they didn't know what to do next so they just hit the reset button. If they do that again i'll really start to worry about the franchise.
rewak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-19, 15:04   #30
Blackmoor

I think they'll continue with the reboots but I think they'll significantly re-jig things.

Things that will stay the same or same-ish will probably be:

-the general backstory for Lara
-presence of Trinity in the TR universe

But I think they will almost definitely:

-recast the voice for Lara
-tweak the personality a bit (although they are kind of boxed in a bit by how they've portrayed her so far)
-redesign her character model

I also think there is a good chance that they will reconsider the gameplay. The reboots formula was developed before 2013 and games have moved on a bit since then. It would make sense for them to reconsider what current trends and brand leaders (especially) are up to and adjust a bit for that.

Whatever they release next will take them through the next gen consoles era. I cannot see them releasing a sequel that isn't an update in some way.
Blackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote