Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 26-10-19, 18:08   #11
XXIIXX
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapu View Post
TL;DR: More development time would be nice, but if we want a big evolution between each TR game it's going to take a completely different approach in the way the sequels are developed.
Honestly I think would be the only way to, hopefully, truly please everyone.

Don't think it will happen but I think it would greatly up the franchise boost sales and prestige.
XXIIXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-19, 00:50   #12
larafan25

They should definitely take more careful consideration when tarnishing the Tomb Raider name, I mean at least do it gracefully and with finesse.
larafan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-19, 10:31   #13
killchan

ND did what every studio does, except others delay their projects before providing a release date, so they don't need to be public about the delay.
looks like yet another excuse to give ND more credit than due to me~

Ubi's fault is releasing a ton of clones of the same 2 kind of games for the sake of making investors happy. That's not what Square Europe have been doing so I see no risks there.

If there's one thing SE needs to learn from ND is that, like it or not, The Last Of Us didn't became a smash-hit by making things easier for the player: it had a very specific vision, was supported by right marketing, looked good enough to impress and never lied to the players.

Last edited by killchan; 31-10-19 at 10:36.
killchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-19, 13:29   #14
Error96

I don't think development time was the major issue with Shadow's success. I believe a lot of it was down to marketing which wasn't done particularly well for this game. In the game itself Paititi seems to be the section most often criticised but the issue is about the direction of having this slow pace social hub rather than a problem of polish. More time would bring little difference.

I don't think they necessarily need more time they just need to get their marketing sorted and be more receptive to the feedback coming back.
Error96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-19, 11:43   #15
suli
Inactive

it really pisses me off that Square give their Japanese IPs all the time in the world (and they still suck major balls) while CD and EM delivered far better games on tighter budgets and time schedules, and they make them more profit (FF15 10 years in the making sold 6 million copies. Rise 2 years in the making sold 7,5 million copies). TR should be their priority at this point and given all the budget and time needed to be made.

Last edited by suli; 09-11-19 at 11:48.
suli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-19, 11:58   #16
Chamayoo

Maybe they should take the series away from Square Enix Europe (hi Eidos) and give it to the core team.
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-19, 12:08   #17
Tomb Raidering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamayoo View Post
Maybe they should take the series away from Square Enix Europe (hi Eidos) and give it to the core team.
I see a lot of confusion around the forums regarding the dev/publishers’ relationship with TR.

Developer studios Core Design and Crystal Dynamics were under the publisher Eidos Interactive. Then a British publisher company named SCi bought Eidos Interactive, owning the studios and the IPs. Then SCi openned a game studio called Eidos Montreal, which had no relation with Eidos Interactive apart from developing video games for them. Now there were 4 game studios under SCi/Eidos Interactive (IO Interactive, Core Design, Crystal Dynamics, Eidos Montreal). Core Design got sold off and Square Enix began offering biddings to acquire SCi/Eidos. Eventually they acquired the company, renaming Eidos Interactive to Square Enix Europe. Everything is mostly the same, apart from re-naming and moving offices...

On a side note: I wonder how it would have been if Core Design’s selling was postponed until Square Enix’s acquisition? Would SE had helped them re-flourish?
Tomb Raidering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-19, 13:13   #18
Legends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapu View Post
TL;DR: More development time would be nice, but if we want a big evolution between each TR game it's going to take a completely different approach in the way the sequels are developed.
Agreed. Hopefully Tomb Raider gets a new developer for future games that will do just that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb Raidering View Post
On a side note: I wonder how it would have been if Core Design’s selling was postponed until Square Enix’s acquisition? Would SE had helped them re-flourish?
Oh, what could have been.
Legends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-19, 15:07   #19
suli
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb Raidering View Post

people romanticize about core being still the developers of TR all the time here. but in actuality they said it themselves, yes they said it, they weren't able to make bigger games for next gen. hence why TRAE was a psp game.
suli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-19, 15:45   #20
XXIIXX
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by suli View Post
people romanticize about core being still the developers of TR all the time here. but in actuality they said it themselves, yes they said it, they weren't able to make bigger games for next gen. hence why TRAE was a psp game.
This pretty much. I don't know if Square Enix's budget would help things but I think they would struggle in any case.
XXIIXX is offline   Reply With Quote