Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 28-10-19, 20:41   #1
VictorXD

Default Can we please ditch Central/South America for a while?

Pretty straightforward question Dunno about anyone else, but I'm pretty tired of Incan, Mayan and Astec locations for TR. Since Legend it's been in most games, and I feel like we are really missing interesting opportunities to explore regions and cultures we have yet to visit. Don't get me wrong, I loved 90% of the levels and locations featured in the games, but I find it absurd we have it almost every game yet in 23 years we have yet to visit a mosque or properly explore a castle for example.

I mean, it's not a short list

-TRL
-TRA
-TRU
-GOL
-LC:GO
-SOTTR

What are y'all's opinions on this?
VictorXD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-19, 20:50   #2
Athukraz

Oh god and I thought Egypt was overdone until I saw this. Bring on those deserts
Athukraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-19, 20:55   #3
charmedangelin

I would disagree given that South America was never done right besides TR3, TRU, and Shadow. I didn't know LC Go also takes place in south america.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-19, 21:02   #4
VictorXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
I would disagree given that South America was never done right besides TR3, TRU, and Shadow. I didn't know LC Go also takes place in south america.
Guuurl you need to get your geography straight

TRL - Peru is in South America, very close to Bolivia, that's SA twice in one game and in two levels in a row
TRA - Peru again,
TRU - Not South America, Mexico is in Central America
TR3 - Lara goes to India, which is in Asia and the South Pacific Islands are in the Oceania

And LG:GO the ruins have very Mayan inspired stone heads, and considering the entire architecture it's safe to say it's probably somewhere in Mexico.

And the whole point of this thread is about both Central AND South America

Last edited by VictorXD; 28-10-19 at 21:04.
Old 28-10-19, 21:07   #5
Portugalraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athukraz View Post
Oh god and I thought Egypt was overdone until I saw this. Bring on those deserts
They both are. Yes, bring on those deserts, but from the Arabias, not the Egyptian ones!

I admit that if I didn't like Mesoamerican civilizations and mythologies that much, I would definitely be more tired from all of them, like I am of Egypt.

But I do have to say that, at least for the main games, the uses of those particulars settings always felt different enough to me: Tiwanaku felt different from Vilcabamba, which felt different from Xibalba, which felt different from Paititi. LC:Go also felt different due to the whole giant serpent thing, and while GoL perhaps was too TRU-based, the bigger focus on supernatural elements also gave it a nice originality touch to it.

But yes, it is more than time to give this setting a break. It does feel like they have done everything they could with it, at least for now. If they want to do jungles again, let Lara go to India or South Asia. Or even African Jungles, if they are able to find a convincing way to do it.
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-19, 21:14   #6
VictorXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
They both are. Yes, bring on those deserts, but from the Arabias, not the Egyptian ones!

I admit that if I didn't like Mesoamerican civilizations and mythologies that much, I would definitely be more tired from all of them, like I am of Egypt.

But I do have to say that, at least for the main games, the uses of those particulars settings always felt different enough to me: Tiwanaku felt different from Vilcabamba, which felt different from Xibalba, which felt different from Paititi. LC:Go also felt different due to the whole giant serpent thing, and while GoL perhaps was too TRU-based, the bigger focus on supernatural elements also gave it a nice originality touch to it.

But yes, it is more than time to give this setting a break. It does feel like they have done everything they could with it, at least for now. If they want to do jungles again, let Lara go to India or South Asia. Or even African Jungles, if they are able to find a convincing way to do it.
Yeah, apart from TRA and TRL, I too felt like they always managed to do something different with each game, and that's something I really appreciate. But as you said, it's time to move on.

And OMG YEEES for Arabian deserts! I've been dying for them since 2013. I find it criminal Lara has never visited Persian ruins. And Persian ruins would be only scratching the surface, the Middle East is a very culturally rich and diverse place, with lots of long lost empires, cities and civilisations.

Last edited by VictorXD; 28-10-19 at 21:16.
Old 28-10-19, 21:14   #7
Vaskito

To me, I'd love either Rome, Greece or Egypt, or Indian Jungles!
Vaskito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-19, 21:25   #8
XXIIXX
Inactive

She's visited Peru in particular four different times in the main games. Along with the United Kingdom it's the most commonly-visited location featured in the games so I agree. Let's move on! That being said however, I also agree with Portugalraider. While she's been to Peru and other South American / Central American countries too many times it does feel different each time. It's just the thought that "it's the same place again." I could even say the same about Egypt feeling a little different each time but to a much lesser extent.

I'd personally like to either see her back in East Asia, Oceania (she's never properly been to any country there) or somewhere in Africa, either sub-Saharan Africa or the Maghreb.

Last edited by XXIIXX; 28-10-19 at 21:27.
XXIIXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-19, 21:26   #9
VictorXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaskito View Post
To me, I'd love either Rome, Greece or Egypt, or Indian Jungles!
I'd be totally fine with either of these, even if they are not among my first choices as they've been done before in the franchise and we've had a taste how they'd look with more modern graphics. Thailand having a similar architecture to India, Byzantine ruins in Rise and Egypt in TOO.

But can you IMAGINE how good India would look with Shadow's artistic direction?? OMG I'd die.
Old 28-10-19, 22:15   #10
_Seth

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorXD View Post
Yeah, apart from TRA and TRL, I too felt like they always managed to do something different with each game, and that's something I really appreciate. But as you said, it's time to move on.

And OMG YEEES for Arabian deserts! I've been dying for them since 2013. I find it criminal Lara has never visited Persian ruins. And Persian ruins would be only scratching the surface, the Middle East is a very culturally rich and diverse place, with lots of long lost empires, cities and civilisations.
Persian ruins and desolate palaces would be amazing!

_Seth is offline   Reply With Quote