Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 01-11-19, 10:34   #1
Tomb Raidering

Lightbulb Playing in ancient times in the next game? (via time-travelling, someone else etc.)

I think it would be a cool idea if executed properly. Lara ventured into other dimensions already (The Floating Islands, Nightmare in Vegas, The Nightmare DLC, SOTTR ending [the alternate universe with her parents])

Think about Lara roaming around the ancient crowd of an Egyptian town. While people are wondering who you are or what you’re doing, you’ll venture deep into their worship places (aka pyramids and temples) in pursuit of an artifact etc.

Or you’ll play as a character that Lara is currently reading/wondering about that’s relevant to the game’s plot. For example, a young European (British/French/Spanish) woman who’s an outcast from her family and town because of her interest for adventure. The gameplay takes place between the 1600s and you get to embark on a galleon!

There’s so many possibilities!
Tomb Raidering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-19, 11:00   #2
charmedangelin

No thank you, I've had enough outfit restrictions and tribal/ancient outfits to last 10 lifetimes.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-19, 11:22   #3
Tomb Raidering

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
No thank you, I've had enough outfit restrictions and tribal/ancient outfits to last 10 lifetimes.
Who said that you need tribal outfits?

Lara in her Classic attire, showing ancient Egyptians some real iconography.

Or the unknown European girl in a veil similar to the one that was considered for AoD, roaming amongst the town to reach the cathedral, where she’ll be given a journey to faraway lands only reachable by ships and galleons...
Old 01-11-19, 11:44   #4
MilkShakespear

I love it! Imagine the people Lara would meet!

Maybe after raiding tombs in modern times for so long, she keeps coming across tombs that were raided a hundred years ago. But going back in time to raid FRESH tombs!!

and I really like the idea of Lara experiencing history through the eyes of someone from the past. Lara is well read, there's no telling how many adventures she's explored vicariously.

Last edited by Rai; 01-11-19 at 12:16. Reason: Merged two posts
MilkShakespear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-19, 12:34   #5
Zebra

Nah, I don't really like the thought of that. It'd be incredibly difficult to pull off well and even then it'd probably just end up feeling silly. I think the closest I'd want the series to get to time travel would be a time travelling villain. That could be cool with them coming to the present day from some ancient civilisation. And maybe the final boss fight could have Lara and the villain zipping around through time with the setting constantly switching between new, undamaged building and ancient ruins and everything inbetween. But I would not want Lara to go back in time for large sections of a game and I definitely would not want her interacting with a bunch of people from back then or visit a large, populated area. I think that would get cringey real fast.
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-19, 12:40   #6
Tomb Raidering

Imo, it would be for short section of the game... like 20 minutes? Not long enough to alter history and create a parallel paradox...

Your final boss fight seems interesting. It reminds of the considered (or unfinished ?) AoD final boss fight where Eckhardt was going to send Lara back in time to her most feared nightmare moments (T-Rex - The Lost Valley, Helicopter crash - Tibetan Foothills, The cave-in at the end of TR4 etc.)
Old 01-11-19, 14:40   #7
Zsott

As much as I don't like the nonsense OP writes most of the time, their idea isn't new to Tomb Raider and it is a good one.

In the comics, she travelled in time multiple times. Both to the future and the past. A long lost artifact, that is stuck in time, or travels trough dimensions/alternative worlds by itself.
She also found a village (in the Himalayas, if i remember correctly) that was stuck in time and could be found at a specific time only.
Zsott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-19, 16:30   #8
Daft Raider
Inactive

If done well and not an excuse for CD to shoehorn in more tribal outfits, I would love time travel in a TR game! I'm thinking of the Top Cow comics storyline where Lara and Chase got stuck in the past, seeing that expanded on in a game would be awesome!

I've also been saying how cool the next LC game would be if some time related artifact screwed up all parallel universes and put all the Lara's from each timeline into one game, and they had to work together to fix time. CMON CD.

Last edited by Daft Raider; 01-11-19 at 16:34.
Daft Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-19, 18:16   #9
michaeldt

A story of Lara stuck in a different time period may be interesting actually, but only if the crux of the story is her trying to find a way back to her own time period.
michaeldt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-19, 19:51   #10
Tomb Raidering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft Raider View Post
also been saying how cool the next LC game would be if some time related artifact screwed up all parallel universes and put all the Lara's from each timeline into one game, and they had to work together to fix time. CMON CD.
Basically a multiverse game. It would be awesome with a proper execution and non-cringey plot. Everyone would accept Reboot Lara as a completely new character too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldt View Post
A story of Lara stuck in a different time period may be interesting actually, but only if the crux of the story is her trying to find a way back to her own time period.
That could work too. The story must compensate for it, being thrilling and hopeless.