Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 26-11-19, 10:15   #561
Vaskito

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnatchingEdges View Post
They'll listen when you all make peace with your minds. We all agree that we need a better Lara and puzzle difficulty, but I 100% bet if that ever happens you will still outrage for whatever reason.

Reading some posts, reviews, critiques or unappreciation threads it looks like you are way too bitter about things in the games that aren't that serious (honestly, you giving too much hate on the hair, Jesuschrist), diminish the good aspects/ideas; complaining about fanservice but reclaiming fanservice stuff and other t contradictory opinions (new TRs are too easy, but Legend is on a pedestal; not enough combats in Shadow, yet we complain that the Reboot is too much action focused; we want more isolation, but Underworld is dULlL).
This is spot on, and something many people have already noticed and pointed out multiple times.

I find it even more baffling that some stuff like this (like for example, that unappreciation thread - I mean, they're even picking up on the font color) comes from legally adult people, which makes it more weird and embarrassing. It's getting harder each day to be around here, after so much pettiness and toxic, childish behavior

Quote:
If they try to listen to this fanbase they'll go widly mad.
Pretty much. Like I've said, if I were on their shoes, I wouldn't give a damn about this portion of the fandom at all. They were better of when they didn't
Vaskito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-19, 10:33   #562
dcw123

I honestly think people at Crystal should just replay every TR game from beginning to end - make notes on what works and what needs improving.. go form there.
Really recapture the essence of what classic TR is - with a modern twist.

While Shadow was a step forwards, it was still a RPG cover shooter - and that is not what TR should focus on.
Make tombs the main focus - scrap the optional side of things..
Push combat into the background and focus on puzzles and exploring

Say what you want.. but by far the most classic TR level by Crystal was Thailand in TRU - if they could make an entire TR game like that I'd be happy
dcw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-19, 14:21   #563
Zsott

Quote:
They'll listen when you all make peace with your minds.
I invite you to look at the technical problems/bugs/glitches report thread.
For example: missing magasin of umbrage since it's release. It was reported on various platforms, yet it wasn't fixed, but we have a definitive edition.
The community hub still refers to february, but we have a definitive edition.

That doesn't strike me as listening.
Quote:
Reading some posts, reviews, critiques or unappreciation threads it looks like you are way too bitter about things in the games that aren't that serious (honestly, you giving too much hate on the hair, Jesuschrist)...
There are people who likes to complain, and those who like to create drama from it.

Quote:
...diminish the good aspects/ideas...
Like the fully implemented swimming? Which was (and still should be) a core element of Tomb Raider...
Or the removed white paint, about which people were complaining since 2006? They took their sweet time: 12 years.
All in all, good ideas comes down to personal taste. Some will like it, some will not.

Quote:
...complaining about fanservice but reclaiming fanservice stuff...
Rightfully so: they try to get as far away as possible from the Lara Croft, that many people grew up with, yet they can't let it go.
Then, they teased the duals, you used them for 10 seconds; Then it became a mere easter egg in a DLC, if you are not PS4 player. Then, it stayed an easter egg for the end of the trilogy, but wait! It got removed. Which is hilarious, since those pistols are important to the current incarnation of Lara too. This is just one example of many.

Quote:
and other t contradictory opinions (new TRs are too easy, but Legend is on a pedestal; not enough combats in Shadow, yet we complain that the Reboot is too much action focused;we want more isolation, but Underworld is dULlL).
Wow.

1. Only those people complain about it being easy, who played on casual whitout even realizing it. (Also, people with a 12years old kid's mentality who tries too hard to be edgy/cool.) Or if they did, they didn't cared to give it a go. (DO and extreme survivor says hy.)
2. Legend was never, or will be on a pedestal. But compared to the current situation, it looks like more fun than reboot. Simply because, it doesn't take itself too seriously, there are no idiot restrictions. But it has a fair share of problems.
3. SoTR's skill tree is combat based. After completing the game, there are very few places to have combat: the dlcs, 2 caves for wolves and two mini arenas for jaguars. Oh, and one optional tomb for the Yaaxil.
Yamatai went overboard with it, Rise had it balanced with respawning enemies, SoTR made it almost nonexistent to the point, that TR1 had more combat, than SoTR... and that is saying something.
4. TRU (being one of my favourite) is indeed dull: washed out colors and only Thailand and Mexico feels complete in every aspect.

But then again, there are people who will accept anything with TR slapped on them. Also there are people who have their problems with the direction the franchise took and expressed it; and those, who are the extremists of the two aforementioned groups: they are the most vocal.
Finally those, who doesn't give **** and enjoy whatever they prefer.

Last edited by Zsott; 26-11-19 at 14:23.
Zsott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-19, 16:11   #564
Persefone

Quote:
They'll listen when you all make peace with your minds.
I disagree, they'll listen when our opinion becomes profitable, the issue with the way some TRF users handle disappointment is throw a fit and burn their copy of SOTTR, the "outrage" stays limited to a thread or spam rather than what other video game communities have done when developers put out souless cashgrabs
Persefone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-19, 20:53   #565
_Seth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaskito View Post
I find it even more baffling that some stuff like this (like for example, that unappreciation thread - I mean, they're even picking up on the font color) comes from legally adult people
Vastiko, I made a legitimate criticism on the legibility of subtitles when they're set to On With Colour. I have better than average vision (as told by multiple opticians in my life), and on PS4 and PC I have observed that dark purple subtitles against a black border is barely legible. If you see this as toxic or childish behaviour, don't make a conscious choice to open threads on the dislikes of the game, lol.

Bit of respect.

Last edited by _Seth; 27-11-19 at 20:59.
_Seth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-19, 23:39   #566
charmedangelin

CD will never listen. They have been adamant about their style of Tomb Raider and I doubt they will change that anytime soon. Part of the reason reboot happened was because they wanted to build their own brand of TR, one that they could be recognized for and one that they didn't have to worry about adhering to any standard set by previous games. Square probably appreciates the new brand of Tomb Raider and together the two of them will push on with this new brand of TR since the brand identity is now tied with them instead of the old Core and Crystal games.

If we want our Tomb Raider back then the games would have to be pushed onto new developers. Ones who aren't tied to or associated with the current brand of Tomb Raider.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-19, 00:49   #567
Persefone

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcw123 View Post
I honestly think people at Crystal should just replay every TR game from beginning to end - make notes on what works and what needs improving.. go form there.
Really recapture the essence of what classic TR is - with a modern twist.

While Shadow was a step forwards, it was still a RPG cover shooter - and that is not what TR should focus on.
Make tombs the main focus - scrap the optional side of things..
I agree, I dont expect them to go back to tank controls, even if they made something like a polished AOD movement system, they're already knee deep in the way TR is being played now.

With that being said I appreciate how they tried to focus on exploration and puzzles in shadow, thing is traversal gameplay doesnt pose much of a challenge so I can see how having an okay storyline with very little combat can make people feel like the game is lacking, they focused on the weakest part of their version of TR with no improvement whatsoever through 3 years aside from things they'd already implemented in the last trilogy. they even removed the horizontal jump animation while climbing lmfao
Persefone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-19, 22:48   #568
redfox45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persefone View Post
I disagree, they'll listen when our opinion becomes profitable, the issue with the way some TRF users handle disappointment is throw a fit and burn their copy of SOTTR, the "outrage" stays limited to a thread or spam rather than what other video game communities have done when developers put out souless cashgrabs

That's a big problem with (forgive the expression) fanboys/girls of a franchise. They have this mentality of "WELL OBVIOUSLY I CAN'T NOT GET THE NEW TR IMMEDIATELY ITS THE NEW TOMB RAIDER GAME!"
...why not? It's not going anywhere? If it's a home run you'll soon hear about it. Get it then,

It takes no strength to take anger out on something you've already given them money for. It takes all the strength to resist that urge to run out and buy it just cos you're too weak to miss out for a week or 2.

Last edited by redfox45; 28-11-19 at 22:49.
redfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-19, 23:40   #569
Costel

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfox45 View Post
That's a big problem with (forgive the expression) fanboys/girls of a franchise. They have this mentality of "WELL OBVIOUSLY I CAN'T NOT GET THE NEW TR IMMEDIATELY ITS THE NEW TOMB RAIDER GAME!"
...why not? It's not going anywhere? If it's a home run you'll soon hear about it. Get it then,

It takes no strength to take anger out on something you've already given them money for. It takes all the strength to resist that urge to run out and buy it just cos you're too weak to miss out for a week or 2.
Am I not aloweed to buy a game whenever I want?
Costel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-19, 13:13   #570
redfox45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costel View Post
Am I not aloweed to buy a game whenever I want?
Of course, everyone is, but many dont have a strong enough will to leave off a few weeks and wait to find out what the general reception is.

As desperate as I was to get DMC5, before getting it I'd seen more than enough testimony from fans who'd played it and flat out said
"it's practically perfect, its exceeded expectation just like they claimed, it's amazing, a must buy!"

I never really got that vibe with Shadow, the general verdict seemed to just be "yeah it's pretty good/okay"

It's still there to be bought, and I'm sure I'll enjoy it when I finally wind up getting it for like £10 or whatever. But anything that might be causing upset probably wont bother me because I'll have paid a fraction of what they paid out. All it takes is a little patience to put yourself in the power position. But when someone is SO invested in a franchise, that's just something that they can't do.

These guys know that and that's why they're often so slow to take any notice of fans.

Last edited by redfox45; 29-11-19 at 13:14.
redfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote