Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 21-11-19, 16:42   #11
Chamayoo

I'm really looking forward for this game, it seems to be also my type of game.

More and more games in the market nowadays got some Classic (-ish) features.

- Elaborated and maze-like level design ?
From Software games
Control (2019)
Jedi Fallen Order (2019)

- Platforming free from automatism ?
Super Mario Odyssey (2017)

- Key/object searching ?
Resident Evil 2 Remake (2019)

- Puzzles to be an important part of the game ?
Zelda games

I think it's definitely the time to take inspiration from them and abandoned to cater to FPS / TPS and Uncharted players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killchan View Post
CD should look at Tomb Raider for inspiration.
Of course !
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-19, 21:09   #12
JayB18

Quote:
Originally Posted by killchan View Post
CD should look at Tomb Raider for inspiration.
True. My post is more to reccomend TR fans look into the game and how CD could look at it as inspiration for a more modern take on how to make the games.
JayB18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-19, 22:34   #13
Rai

Does anyone have any videos that showcases this gameplay?
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-19, 00:42   #14
charmedangelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamayoo View Post
I'm really looking forward for this game, it seems to be also my type of game.

More and more games in the market nowadays got some Classic (-ish) features.

- Elaborated and maze-like level design ?
From Software games
Control (2019)
Jedi Fallen Order (2019)

- Platforming free from automatism ?
Super Mario Odyssey (2017)

- Key/object searching ?
Resident Evil 2 Remake (2019)

- Puzzles to be an important part of the game ?
Zelda games

I think it's definitely the time to take inspiration from them and abandoned to cater to FPS / TPS and Uncharted players.

Of course !
What an amazing Tomb Raider game they could create with elements from all of these games.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-19, 00:58   #15
SoraSakai
Inactive

Yes. I totally agree. I absolutely love the souls-like gameplay loop that this game uses. It would fit into Tomb Raider really well.

Maze-like level designs with shortcuts and paths that loop back into where you were, creating shortcuts. Enemies that respawn if you use resting points.

Instead of there being designated bonfires, perhaps you could introduce a “camp” mechanic. The player is given a set number of items and they can set up camp and rest wherever they wish, which resets Lara’s health but also the enemies she’s killed.

I’d love love love it.
SoraSakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-19, 01:13   #16
charmedangelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoraSakai View Post
Yes. I totally agree. I absolutely love the souls-like gameplay loop that this game uses. It would fit into Tomb Raider really well.

Maze-like level designs with shortcuts and paths that loop back into where you were, creating shortcuts. Enemies that respawn if you use resting points.

Instead of there being designated bonfires, perhaps you could introduce a “camp” mechanic. The player is given a set number of items and they can set up camp and rest wherever they wish, which resets Lara’s health but also the enemies she’s killed.

I’d love love love it.
Gurl.....stop, your causing my mind to go places. Imagine main tombs like this, it's legit a modern take on TR4 maze like levels that looped back around like Karnak.

Either Lara could build a camp, or they could bring back something that was cut from 2013. Originally Lara was going to be allowed to sit down on the ground and go through her pack in order to access things like the map. They could easily have Lara sit down and go through her backpack while the player is able to access the map, journal, skill tree (if there is one), outfits ect.

Platforming would definitely need to be taken from Mario Odyssey and Jedi from what I've seen online. People would talk about this game, they would compete with each other over trying to beat hard and difficult areas like they already do with the Souls series. The Souls series even became their own genera in a sense.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-19, 01:24   #17
SoraSakai
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
Gurl.....stop, your causing my mind to go places. Imagine main tombs like this, it's legit a modern take on TR4 maze like levels that looped back around like Karnak.

Either Lara could build a camp, or they could bring back something that was cut from 2013. Originally Lara was going to be allowed to sit down on the ground and go through her pack in order to access things like the map. They could easily have Lara sit down and go through her backpack while the player is able to access the map, journal, skill tree (if there is one), outfits ect.

Platforming would definitely need to be taken from Mario Odyssey and Jedi from what I've seen online. People would talk about this game, they would compete with each other over trying to beat hard and difficult areas like they already do with the Souls series. The Souls series even became their own genera in a sense.
Exactly. If the platforming isn’t going to be engaging and fun, then I’d rather it be removed entirely. Holding up on the analog stick isn’t exciting.

Make the leaps have of faith dangerous and difficult but also fun.
SoraSakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-19, 01:55   #18
Persefone

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshesBorn View Post
JFO also has auto-grab though. It seems to function pretty similarly to Reboot.
That's not what I mean, lara auto grabs ledges in aod but the consistency of the jump distance remained the same if you did the same jump twice, magnetic ledges or however they work make it so our beloved reboot Laura can jump a 10 meter gap but cant jump that same distance if you're just running around
Persefone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-19, 10:41   #19
Tomb Raidering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persefone View Post
That's not what I mean, lara auto grabs ledges in aod but the consistency of the jump distance remained the same if you did the same jump twice, magnetic ledges or however they work make it so our beloved reboot Laura can jump a 10 meter gap but cant jump that same distance if you're just running around
Just correcting, AoD Lara doesn’t *totally* auto-grab ledges. You press the Action button and she prepares her arms for the grab. You don’t need to held down Action anymore to hold the ledge, just tap the button again and she’ll let go....
Tomb Raidering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-19, 11:20   #20
AshesBorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persefone View Post
Gotcha. Yes, consistent jump distances would be a dream.
AshesBorn is offline   Reply With Quote