Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 23-11-19, 18:51   #1
Alex Shepherd

Default Do you love Tomb Raider just like before?

At this moment, do you love Tomb Raider just like before? In you're childhood? Just we used to love the classic Tomb Raider games and the classic Lara Croft.
For the new reboot. My interests in Tomb Raider is completely different, before? I'm so crazy about her but these new days and the new reboot it changed me a little. I'm saying a little. I still love her and love the the game but it always keeps me asking. I love her because I used to love the classic. But if I were born in 2000s I don't think that I will get addicted just I am right now. And I don't really know exactly my feelings right now for the new TR games. I'm still a BIG fan, and so excited about the reboot but not for the Lara herself. I love the classic Lara Croft were she used to be. But what if I'm wrong. What if these changes were absolutely right to be too realistic and too fascinating characters.

Your thoughts?

Last edited by Alex Shepherd; 23-11-19 at 18:54.
Alex Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-19, 19:14   #2
charmedangelin

Oh definitely, Classic Lara was very unique for me. Being raised by my mother alone and seeing how she struggled to provide for me and my brother gave me a whole new respect and appreciation for women. I remember as a kid how I actually didn't really like boys and got a long with girls really well. I loved tv shows and movies where women always got the upper hand or were strong. Me and my two cousins were very close growing up and I often felt like I was really a girl. I often thought about being in a girls body and putting on make up and dressed and playing around. Luckily my mom was supportive and didn't mind it. I often tried to dress up as Lara Croft or Xena growing up and often would ask my mom to get dual toy guns and a small back pack to play pretend as Lara. We had a pretty big back yard and I was always running around, climbing trees pretending to be Lara Croft. Other times I would get a toy Chakram and pretend to be Xena and even remember exactly how she moved around in combat. I also pretended to be Gabriel and pretty much perfected how to use a staff. I always admired women and often thought they were way smarter and better than men. Lara Croft was very important to me as a child and growing up. It's probably why I defend her so much and so adamently because she was my role model, my idol and I often wished I was her in real life. I may have been a boy physically, but I felt like my mom and my grandmother, I felt like I was meant to be born a girl but had been born the wrong gender. Lara was just so strong, confident, and freaking beautiful. I loved all the outfits she wore and I loved all the renders of her.

Maybe I don't see over sexualization because my mom put such images in a better context so I always so Lara as owner herself and never saw her as a plaything for anyone. I eventually grew up through the CD LAU Lara as a teenager and still loved her. But when reboot came out and all these things I heard from people saying so many things about classic Lara that's when I began to hate reboot Lara with a passion, for taking away my idol the woman that taught me so much about strength and determination to be yourself.

I still love Tomb Raider and Lara Croft and always will, but it's very hard for me to accept reboot Lara because it just feels like she is an attack on my childhood and who I was striving to be as a kid.

Last edited by charmedangelin; 23-11-19 at 19:16.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-19, 19:18   #3
Samz

To be blunt.

Nope.

I hate overally linear games.
I hate "Story driven" games where the story is god-awful.
I hate generally Cover-shooter focused games where the combat gets stale fast.

For me, the Reboot is all 3 of these mixed together in a throughly uninteresting, frustrating blender and it took all of my willpower to force myself through 2013 and could not due the same to Rise.

I admittingly, at most, try to play either good games, Flawed games with good ideas due to small-dev-team budget (AKA EuroJank), or so-bad-it's-good.

The Reboot for me, is just so bad its hard to play, its not very fun, its not challenging nor is it intresting.

The fact it's actively replaced a somewhat unique and beloved game series I used to enjoy is just another reason I dislike it. (which is also the only reason I picked up 2013/Rise since I wanted to give Crystal the benefit of the doubt.)

Last edited by Samz; 23-11-19 at 19:19.
Samz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-19, 19:21   #4
Hazelphoenix

Yes and no, it’s really hard to explain.

On one hand, when I look back at what the franchise meant to me, all the memories, all the fun moments spent playing the original games almost every year, I still get emotional and would say without a doubt that this was the only video game (and video game protagonist) that truly had an impact on me.

On the other hand, not being able to appreciate the newer iterations made me slowly lose interest in the saga as a whole. It’s been a while since I last played a classic game, and I’ve started to focus on other videogames altogether. TR will always be a part of me, but it’s a bit of an hit and miss nowadays, as far as my emotional involvement is concerned.

Edit: well to be fair I recently got a classic Lara tattoo so there’s clearly still love and dedication to an extent lmao

Last edited by Hazelphoenix; 23-11-19 at 19:24.
Hazelphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-19, 19:30   #5
Legends

No, I hate what it's become. I never thought it was possible to **** up this much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
To be blunt.

Nope.

I hate overally linear games.
I hate "Story driven" games where the story is god-awful.
I hate generally Cover-shooter focused games where the combat gets stale fast.

For me, the Reboot is all 3 of these mixed together in a throughly uninteresting, frustrating blender and it took all of my willpower to force myself through 2013 and could not due the same to Rise.

I admittingly, at most, try to play either good games, Flawed games with good ideas due to small-dev-team budget (AKA EuroJank), or so-bad-it's-good.

The Reboot for me, is just so bad its hard to play, its not very fun, its not challenging nor is it intresting.

The fact it's actively replaced a somewhat unique and beloved game series I used to enjoy is just another reason I dislike it.
Yeah, I agree. They've adapted all those obnoxious gaming mechanics that I just hate. It's like they don't even want to make a proper game anymore.
Legends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-19, 19:47   #6
dcw123

It just goes to show.. when games lose focus and try to follow the masses to stay relevant or follow trends for money.. they always fail.

Sonic, Resident Evil and now TR.

I don't mind the reboot games (like I don't mind RE4,5,6) but don't lump them in the same series.. they clearly are not the same thing.
They lost all their charm and individualism - Lara isn't Lara anymore

Classic's level design, puzzles, and Lara herself will always be remembered.
You'd think with all the remakes, revivals etc going on - Crystal, or Square would take note and steer TR back on track a little more (Shadow was a start)

Hoping now the dumb so called ''trilogy'' is over, we'll get something better soon
At this point, I'd take another TRA or LC spin off than another reboot style Uncharted rip off
dcw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-19, 19:50   #7
Persefone

If anything I love TR even more, the reboot trilogy on the other hand...
Persefone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-19, 20:09   #8
jajay119

I still feel very passionately about TR and Lara yes. I think he problem is every series which seeks to last goes through major change to sustain itself and not all of those eras will be pleasing or recognisable to everyone. The three eras of TR have been very defined from each other to me. I've enjoyed each of them to varying amounts and for different reasons. I don't personally feel the reboot era has been a strong Tomb Raider earlier at heart and I look forward to a new era. But if I didn't love the series I wouldn't still be here 24 years after the first game.
jajay119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-19, 20:24   #9
Kurtis666

No, I don't love it at all at this point, nor I'll ever be probably. If they remake the classics or do another reboot which respects the classic character of Lara Croft, then I might go back to loving this franchise. Otherwise, Tomb Raider is dead for me.
Kurtis666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-19, 20:55   #10
ANoDE
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post
I still feel very passionately about TR and Lara yes. I think he problem is every series which seeks to last goes through major change to sustain itself and not all of those eras will be pleasing or recognisable to everyone. The three eras of TR have been very defined from each other to me. I've enjoyed each of them to varying amounts and for different reasons. I don't personally feel the reboot era has been a strong Tomb Raider earlier at heart and I look forward to a new era. But if I didn't love the series I wouldn't still be here 24 years after the first game.
This exactly.
ANoDE is online now   Reply With Quote