Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 23-11-19, 21:04   #11
paulojr_mam

I'm not one of those that played the classic TRs on my childhood, but they are the games I love the most. I never even liked the reboot games, so I can't say I like TR anymore, because those are what TR is now. And I don't see them changing it into something I can love, so I'll probably never love current TR again. But I think it's probable that someday they'll make a TR I can at least like again.

Last edited by paulojr_mam; 24-11-19 at 14:24. Reason: completion
paulojr_mam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-19, 21:06   #12
VictorXD

Unfortunately, nope.

On a quick note: I always excited for the reboot and was really invested in its universe and Lara back in 2013, but bad writing, lousy handling of her character development arc after of TR (2013) and the general lack of care for anything classic related has really soured my love for TR.

I think it's a combo of growing and having other priorities as well as being disappointed by her 'coming of age' arc after 2013 that mostly relied on Lara getting over her parents' death than herself actually growing as a character like in 2013.

It feels really hard to feel connected and emotionally invested in a franchise that is constantly back 2 steps back every time it gives one step forward as well as the fact it keeps trying to replace itself with something that is not as well made and faithful as it could be.

I honestly don't know how I'll handle another game being made by CD. Either be it EM (that despite Shadow's flaws, DID listen to us and did try to please us) or a new developer altogether, or else I honestly don't think I'll be too interested in the next game.
VictorXD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-19, 21:09   #13
larafan25

No, not happy that the developers do not like Tomb Raider enough to find a viable successful outlet for it.
larafan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-19, 21:14   #14
charmedangelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorXD View Post
Unfortunately, nope.

On a quick note: I always excited for the reboot and was really invested in its universe and Lara back in 2013, but bad writing, lousy handling of her character development arc after of TR (2013) and the general lack of care for anything classic related has really soured my love for TR.

I think it's a combo of growing and having other priorities as well as being disappointed by her 'coming of age' arc after 2013 that mostly relied on Lara getting over her parents' death than herself actually growing as a character like in 2013.

It feels really hard to feel connected and emotionally invested in a franchise that is constantly back 2 steps back every time it gives one step forward as well as the fact it keeps trying to replace itself with something that is not as well made and faithful as it could be.

I honestly don't know how I'll handle another game being made by CD. Either be it EM (that despite Shadow's flaws, DID listen to us and did try to please us) or a new developer altogether, or else I honestly don't think I'll be too interested in the next game.
I defiantly agree about the focus shifting from 2013 in Lara to her parents. It really soured what could have been a great tale of how our favorite character came to be. It's especially sad to read how Rhianna was drawing from the bio that Core made of Lara Croft and how in the next game she wanted Lara to keep a blog of her endeavors just like Classic Lara kept a journal of her endeavors after she survived that wreck in the Himalayan mountains.

In terms of devlopers I really want either From Software or Respawn Entertainmen to make the next game. They have it in them to provide a true gamey experience that's closer to what we may expect from a Tomb Raider title.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-19, 21:26   #15
Athukraz

No.
Athukraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-19, 21:27   #16
VictorXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
I defiantly agree about the focus shifting from 2013 in Lara to her parents. It really soured what could have been a great tale of how our favorite character came to be. It's especially sad to read how Rhianna was drawing from the bio that Core made of Lara Croft and how in the next game she wanted Lara to keep a blog of her endeavors just like Classic Lara kept a journal of her endeavors after she survived that wreck in the Himalayan mountains.
Indeed. Rhi has given a lot of interviews over the years that really proved that she had a more classic inspired arc for Lara, which I would really appreciate.

The comics have really proven that she gets Lara and what most fans like about her. It is a shame that doesn't translate as well into the games.

Quote:
In terms of devlopers I really want either From Software or Respawn Entertainmen to make the next game. They have it in them to provide a true gamey experience that's closer to what we may expect from a Tomb Raider title.
I couldn't give an opinion as I don't know what either of them have worked on.

At this point I just know that CD is no good Lara, and 2 separate universes with 3 games which have more than proven it. It's time to move on from them.
VictorXD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-19, 22:10   #17
JsotoTRSaga

I loved it more in the past bc I enjoyed the current iterations (at the time) more. But right now I feel conflicted. I love Tomb Raider and I even enjoyed the reboots but Lara Croft and Tomb Raider are completely absent from the reboots. I've been disappointed and disrespected by certain aspects of the reboots. If we had Lara back in the future maybe the spark might be lit again.
JsotoTRSaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-19, 22:23   #18
Error96

I still absolutely adore the early games and they amaze me whenever I play them. St Frances Folly is one of the best bits of level design ever. In recent years the live performances of early TR music made me so emotional. I think classic Lara is just phenomenal. The ultimate witty, sassy bad-ass character and even the confident sexy angle that some have issues with, I believe adds to the character.

Currently I don't feel anywhere close to that love for modern TR. I enjoy reboot gameplay especially Shadow, although the level design is far too simple. Sadly I feel reboot Lara is a shell of the original character and I feel no sentimentality or affinity towards her. It's a contrast of the sassy, confident bad-ass against emotional, downbeat and moody. Without major change I probably won't ever love modern TR anywhere near as much.

Last edited by Error96; 24-11-19 at 05:03.
Error96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-19, 00:07   #19
AshesBorn

I used to get hyped about each new game and obsessively check for news, but I don't feel that way about TR anymore. I do appreciate and enjoy the Reboot trilogy, but I can't say I love or care about it as much as I do about Classics/LAU. It's like growing apart with a very good friend...
AshesBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-19, 00:39   #20
trfan16

It comes and goes for me. I remember as far back as the early 2000's during the Core Design era being disinterested in the series. The time span of 2003-2006 was rough because of all the bad press the series was getting. My interest in the series was renewed after Legends was released in 2006. It was the first time I went back to play the Classic games again since the 90's. I also remember being hyped for the new Tomb Raider remake AKA Anniversary. I was expecting great things from it, especially after solid remakes like REmake and Pokemon FR/LG. Unfortunately, the next two entries in the LAU series were disappointing and my interest in the series waned again.

2008-2013 was definitely the lowest point for me and almost forgot about the series like Silent Hill today. But then TR2013 came out and rekindled my interest in the series. I went back and downloaded all of the Classic games from PS store and played them all multiple times. TR2013, while it lacks many Classic elements, gave me great hopes for the future. Unfortunately, neither Rise or Shadow lived up to that expectation. It didn't help that some of my other favorite series released games that redirected my attention back to them (Resident Evil 2 Remake, Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey).
trfan16 is offline   Reply With Quote