Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 24-11-19, 01:48   #21
Gemma Darkmoon

No. I haven't warmed to reboot Lara but worse is the devs attitude towards the classic trademarks, which honestly is destroying my love for the series. It feels what I loved is now locked in a cupboard and the more time goes by I wonder if we will ever get it back. With all the baiting like 'watch Lara become the Tomb Raider' it feels like we just getting played .
Gemma Darkmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-19, 01:49   #22
Samz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemma Darkmoon View Post
No. I haven't warmed to reboot Lara but worse is the devs attitude towards the classic trademarks, which honestly is destroying my love for the series. It feels what I loved is now locked in a cupboard and the more time goes by I wonder if we will ever get it back. With all the baiting like 'watch Lara become the Tomb Raider' it feels like we just getting played .
Spoiler alert: you are.
Samz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-19, 01:54   #23
charmedangelin

Fans: We want shorts

EM: Become the Tomb Raider

Fans: What about a braid?

EM: Become the Tomb Raider

Fans: How about the dual pistols?

EM: BECOME....THE.......TOMB RAIDER

Fans: Ok...........

Lara: *Doesn't become the tomb raider*

Fans: What the hell, where are the shorts, braid, duals? At least give her a sassy attitude.

EM: ......................................

Fans: Um hello?

EM: ..............So much classic **** coming...........

Fans: OH MY GAWD

7 months later

Fans: Where's all the new content y'all teased?

EM: .......................................

Fans: You said that

EM: New croft outfit, ok bye

Fans: *shocked Pikachu face* What the ****?!
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-19, 03:21   #24
Nigel Cassidy

On a technical level Tomb Raider right now is up to date with any triple A game. Manual combat is finally here, platforming is fine (though it could bring back the swinging on poles), I like the upgrading of the character and the weapons stuff and the overal production values are very good.

On a creative level I hate every pixel of this goddamn reboot and I wish it would disappear today rather than tomorrow.
Nigel Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-19, 06:32   #25
suli
Inactive

Tomb Raider has been the biggest part of my life since 1999. I acknowledge the complaints people have with the different eras of TR but to me I always liked whatever Lara is in (maybe just TR3 and TR2013 were the two games that I didn't care for, but I still like so many things about them).
So yeah, I'm always hype for whatever Lara is doing and i'm thankful she's still around.
suli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-19, 07:19   #26
ANoDE
Golden

Tomb Raider was one of the things that made my childhood at least a bit bearable. Whenever I was bullied or hit at school (happened regularly), I'd go home and load up one of the classics. Lara Croft, this strong, independent woman who didn't give a **** about what others thought of her and who could fight for what she wanted was a hero to me. I could flee reality for a few hours and be that daring woman who just does what she likes and fights on, no matter what.
It also helped me make at least some friends, because Tomb Raider was popular back then, and I could finally relate and talk to other kids.
When Core killed her off in TR:IV I was devastated. I mourned her during Chronicles and I celebrated her rebith during AoD. It was phantasitc to have her back.
When the LAU trilogy begun, I was really excited. I enjoyed Lara's newfound acrobatics and liked her playful attitude to things. Only the parental issues were a bit focussed too much for me. TR:A was the first letdown of the series to me. At first I was happy, that one of my favourites was finally going to be remastered - but somehow the tone wasn't right. It's versions of the levels seemed shorter and easier than their original counterparts. And shoehorning the parental backstory into the dtory was really uncalled for. I did like Underworld again, although by then the story was dragged out way too long and somehow this feeling of being connected to the character never settled in. It also had a very sour taste of having XBox exclusive DLCs. That's not something you can do to a multiplatform franchise. It's simply unfair.

When TR13 was announced I had very mixed feelings. It just didn't feel Tomb Raider to me. But since it WAS a TR game, I kept the hype up.
Upon it's release I was devastated. The character had nothing to do with how I saw Lara, her Backstory had been changed - as had her attitude. Litening to her constant whining was excruciating. In the end, I came to the realization, that it was a good game, but a very bad Tomb Raider game. I had high hopes for Rise, but it's exclusivity deal made me loath the publisher. It showed, all they really cared about, was money. Other publishers of course have the same goal ultimately, but this was travesty. When I finally got to play the game, I was still furious. I came in with a negative feeling and that poisoned the experience for me. I came to hate what I played, the game was riddled with microtransactions, and when I encountered the blatantly reused set-pieces and story parts (most notably the final climb while being shot at), I had made up my mind - I had fallen out of love with this iteration of the franchise. I concentrated more on the classics again, and although dated, they still provided so much more enjoyment than than the reboot did. When shadow was announced I didn't want to get my hopes up. I liked what I saw, it seemed they acually listened to fan feedback and it looked like it could become an enjoyable experience. During my first playthrough, I really liked what I got offered. It was a good game again to me, although still being a terrible Tomb Raider game. I did not buy the season pass until lately, because I don't support this 'buying the cat in the bag' sort of thing. After having replayed Shadow I realised that the path they were going was somewhat in the right direction, but it would never lead to where I want it to be. That patched out Day1 ending and the cancellation of the Manor DLC just showed me, that in this iteration, there was just no place fir the classics - including the main character I still hold so dearly in my heart for saving me all these years ago. And this makes me sad.

TLDR: No, I don't love Tomb Raider the way I did anymore. Had the reboot been the first iteration of the franchise I'd probably had given up after 2013. It's not entirely the games' fault though - I just never got to connect to the character like I did with classic Lara.
ANoDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-19, 07:24   #27
Ahmier
Unverified

Yup.
Ahmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-19, 07:25   #28
SnatchingEdges

Yes, I do. I don't like the newer ones as the classics, but...

I've played TR when I was a child like 3-5 years old, then I played again as a teenager until now. I love the classic and LAU saga now as I understand the mechanics behind each game and I enjoy every one even with their flaws.

Regarding the Reboot trilogy, they're good adventure-action games, lacking in the TR section. Some of you give too much hate to the stories, TR was never a series driven by good plots. Every game has a basic, cliché adventure story and that's what we find in the most recent entries. What this trilogy did bad was Lara's personality and minimun challenges (which is what makes classic TR the best era) but I still find them very enjoyable even tho I want more focus on puzzles. What can I say? I love going around Yamatai/Amazonas/Kitezh learning about mythologies and lore.
SnatchingEdges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-19, 07:56   #29
CroftManiac05

No, not anymore. I was a big supporter of the reboot in 2013 because I hoped that someday we would see this scared girl become Lara Croft. The gameplay was attrocious but I could see potential in the character. Then Rise came and I simply couldn't enjoy this game even though it did a much better job than TR2013 in gameplay. I couldn't care less about Lara or any other character, the story,music, environments were dark and boring. The fact that Lara didn't have a single growth in the game left a bad taste. I had big hopes for Sahdow. I thought that maybe they kept everything for the finale of the origins trilogy? Nope , Daniel Bisson's comment was the final nail in the coffin.
CroftManiac05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-19, 10:46   #30
XXIIXX
Inactive

For a little while I did not.

I never straight up dropped Lara or Tomb Raider I just wasn't as passionate as I used to be when I was a kid / teen.

Now however I'm back into it. I may have issues with reboot Lara and the reboot games but, at the end of the day, I can still play the old games if I miss the old Lara and it's not like the new games are not fun to play either. Knowing that the games are doing better than ever in terms of sales and (most of the time) critical reception keeps me happy too.
XXIIXX is offline   Reply With Quote